Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Enjoyable?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DanishDonJuan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 10:16

I really enjoy the album, it is not one of my favorite Oldfield albums, but he has made so many great ones. I love 'the wind chimes' though, that is one of my favorite instrumentals. I also like songs on the album, especially 'North Point' 'The Time has come' & 'when the nights on fire'.
I like pop music & the synth sound too, to me its a great album, though I prefer the singles on his Discovery album.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 13:20

FAB album :D

Unlike other 'one long instrumental and several pop songs' Mike albums, I don't skip any tracks :)

Wind chimes is very moving for me, and not even because of nostalgia etc.

Flying start = YAY! I love the twangs at the start too :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2007, 03:31

This album is taking time to grow on me. Here are my thoughts after recently replaying it:

* I'd always liked the "Islands" tune, but I don't think Tyler's voice fits well.
* I now like "Flying Start" and "Northpoint".
* I love "The Time Has Come" and "When the Night's on Fire".
* I enjoyed "The Wind Chimes" a lot more this time.
* I am not fond of "Magic Touch" - it fails to grab me.
* I'm really glad for Anita Hegerland's presence, here, as I could happily listen to her singing for hours.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: April 15 2022, 14:48

I consider Islands as one of Mike's most dated sounding albums. The synths sound metallic and those typical 80s over-the-top reverb drums are very end-of-the-80s. Although the album is nowhere near the Grand Universe of Tubular Ridges and Ommaroks (yes, an instrumental fanboy here!;), there are some interesting themes and ideas. But in general, this is not what I want to listen to.

Being fond of Mike's instrumentals I obviously like The Wind Chimes the most. But what really annoys me are the very artificially sounding strings in the beginning and the end. Were it recorded with a real orchestra, like Incantations, The Killing Fields or Music of the Spheres, I'm sure the string sections would have sound lovely, because the melody itself is great. It's quite strange that most synth strings on the vocal tracks do not sound that artificial. The oboe in Islands sounds marvellous; why no oboe in The Wind Chimes pt. 1? It would sound epic!
Roughly the same goes for the rest of the themes of The Wind Chimes: a bit too synthy or metallic, though the themes are nice. It would be great if a Deluxe Edition would once appear with a new 202x mix for The Wind Chimes, just like Guilty was stripped from too discoey sounds in the Deluxe reissue, and Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn were given a fresh (re)mix.

Furthermore there are some nice themes on the album, but most of the songs don't really catch my ears.

Islands... the intro of this title song is really epic and it's a shame Mike didn't elaborate on it with a long instrumental. In the demo version of Islands there is even a TB-like piano riff playing through the main theme. That could have been a great instrumental if not Virgin and stuff... Because Tyler's vocals... no, thanks.
Flying Start... well it crashes down quickly to me. Awful voice! It can clearly be heard that VocalTune was not yet invented by then. The only thing that's flying high is the wonderful guitar playing from 2:36 with counter-melodies in the background, which would have fit in the afore proposed Islands-themed long-instrumental very well.
North Point... boooring. Except for the guitar solo from 2:12, which is only mediocre to Mike standards, there's nothing to point at without a yawn.
Magic Touch... well, the only magic touch I hear are Mike's fingers during the great (but short) guitar solo from 2:15. But that's it.
The Time Has Come... to turn off the music? Well, not yet. This track has almost the same sound of The Wind Chimes. A bit repetitive, but the modulation at 2:53 stirs it all up a bit. Hegerland did a good job. One of the better songs on the album and reasonably pleasant to listen.
When the Night's on Fire... did I already say I really like the Islands theme? In the background there seems to be a musical quote from The Lake and there are also quite some references to The Wind Chimes. Again, Hegerland's voice is nice. Also one of the better songs on the album, also reasonably pleasant to listen.

Long story short, I like The Wind Chimes the most. If I have enough courage to listen to Mike's vocal pop songs, I may turn to the epic intro of Islands and then quickly switch to The Time Has Come and When the Night's on Fire, which have relatively long instrumental parts and pleasant melodies.

And after that, I'll Return to Ommadawn. ;)

Been searching whether some Mike-alike has covered Islands or made an instrumental variation on the theme, but alas...

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
23 replies since June 15 2000, 13:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net