Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Elements 2?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timeslip Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2005, 06:01

Obviously Elements tracks Mike in his Virgin Days, so what are our chances of An Elements Pt2 ? Love to see the videos for let there be light and sentinel again !
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2005, 19:54

Well... we should ask Warner. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2005, 23:08

Yeah, let's get the Songs of Distant Earth videos on DVD!  I've wanted to see them in full rez for years!  Also the TB2 videos.

But really, have there been many music videos in Mike's Warner years?  Maybe they'd have to include excerpts from the concerts just to fill up the DVD.

Any ideas of what would be on Elements 2?
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2005, 02:59

I've never seen video clips for SODE, are they good? I thought the only 'video' he had done since Heavens Open was the live concerts, what else is there?

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2005, 06:45

The videos I know from the Warner era are:
-Sentinel.
-Tattoo (studio version with some crow noise to disguise it as a live audio plus TB2 premiere concert images that sometimes don't fit the audio and some visual effects).
-The Bell.
-Let There Be Light.
-Hibernaculum (includes the videos from the multimedia track).
-Mont St. Michel.
-Women Of Ireland (uses excerpts from previous videos, also TB pictures from TB2 videos :O ).
-Man In The Rain (studio audio -Cara's voice- plus TB3 premiere video -Pepsi singing).
-Secrets/Far Above The Clouds (video and audio from the TB3 premiere, not sure if it's an 'official' promo or simply taken from the official VHS/DVD to have something to show of these 2 singles on some TV programs).
-Pacha Mama (excerpts taken from previous promos such as LTBL or Mont St. Michel, also TB2 pictures :( ).
-To Be Free.
-Introduction.
Profile PM 
afghan Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2005, 09:42

spinne do you have any of these videos ,all i have is,The bell,woman of ireland 7 inch edit and transient mix ,man in the rain ,let there be light long and short versions and hibernaculum,they are all on vhs but i could maybe make a copy if you wanted. :)

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 30 2005, 07:04

Quote (Spinne @ Jan. 29 2005, 11:45)
Secrets/Far Above The Clouds (video and audio from the TB3 premiere, not sure if it's an 'official' promo or simply taken from the official VHS/DVD to have something to show of these 2 singles on some TV programs).

I remembering seeing this playing in a music store - I was told it was from a Warner compilation, showing off their first wave of music DVDs (you'll remember for ages leaflets came with Warner Music DVDs with Mike Oldfield opposite page to Madonna).

Given that FATC was a single, you'd think there might be a video for it somewhere. Actually, that was me expecting Warners to have spent money on promo of a variable-charting, established artist... silly me.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2005, 08:09

I've got this DVD via EBay recently - it's called 'Music DVD Video Sampler', catalog Nr. 8573 86043-2.
Track list (all extracts from Warner Music DVDs):
1. The Corrs - Radio (unplugged) 4:46
2. Eric Clpaton - Tears in Heaven (unplugged) 5:24
3. Madonna - Vogue (Live down under) 5:30
4. Cher - The Power (Live) 3:57
5. Mike Oldfield - Far Above the Clouds (TB III Live) 5:42
6. Metallica - Enter Sandman (with S.F. Symphonic Orchestra) 10:38
7. 'Apotheosis' from Tchaikovsky's 'Swan Lake' (classical ballet)
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2005, 11:50

The videos for Voyager(Women of Ireland and Mont St Michel) are too bad,I thought that it would have featured lots of that footage from the photo sessions for the album cover and promo pics(yippie!!!;),some of them appeared on a italian ad for the album,but nothing much on the videos(what a pity...).
:/  :(

Dunno what happened to Mike that he's not that interested on videos anymore.His previous efforts on that were soo good to me,and now we don't have almost nothing  :/

I'd love to know if there are some live recordings from that period that would be perfect to release as a DVD.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 05:15

'Let There Be Light' is supposed to be Mike's favourite promo.

I'm surprised Mike seems to have lost interest, as today's computer graphics can do such amazing things - things he couldn't do (himself) at the time of 'The Wind Chimes' video album!

Perhaps he's lost interest as he's spent so much time on his own computer games - I guess!
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 07:04

Maybe he considers Music VR and Maestro to be 'super-music-videos' in a way. He might think that the interactivity of the computer games is a better way to accompany the music than a video would be.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 08:58

He might think that the interactivity of the computer games is a better way to accompany the music than a video would be.

I think you're right.  MVR feels like it fits the music and the experience sticks with you for longer.  Every time I hear a track from TL I think of the scene from the game it's featured in.  Compare that experience with the video from, say, Introduction; you spend more time trying to figure out what the video has to do with the music than enjoying the experience.

With MVR, the music and the images complimented each other.  With every music video I've seen, the two are unrelated.  Maybe Mike wanted to change that and MVR was his way (TWC being his first attempt).

More power to him!  But it means Elements 2 will be a little thin on content...
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 12:23

Quote (afghan @ Jan. 29 2005, 09:42)
spinne do you have any of these videos ,all i have is,The bell,woman of ireland 7 inch edit and transient mix ,man in the rain ,let there be light long and short versions and hibernaculum :)

I have all the videos I have stated in my previous post. I didn't know there is a second video for Women Of Ireland. The one I have I think includes one of the Lurker mixes but not sure because I'm not specially interested in this kind of mixes, probably is what you have named 7 inch edit. And about the LTBL videos I imagine one is the full version and the other one is an edited version, am I right?

About why Mike give up making videos, I think to remember he ended fed up of the video thing and sold all his equipment. Personally I think it is related with the fact that at the 80s promo videos were fashionable but now no. What is fashionable nowadays is computer and everything related (computer games for example). At least this is how I see it :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 17:17

Quote (Spinne @ Jan. 31 2005, 18:23)
Personally I think it is related with the fact that at the 80s promo videos were fashionable but now no.

Well, I think that promo videos themselves are still very much fashionable... everybody does 'em. :) It's only that, yes, if CG effects in videos, movies, TV etc. aren't exaggerated and overblown, people don't even glance at them. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2005, 17:16

Would you all want the "Later With Jools Holland" clips on this Elements 2 dvd? Great clips from tb3.

As for the MVR bit, I'd think that showing the non-mvr-playing world the music and the visuals together would be a good thing. After all, they were made to go together.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2005, 06:41

Pity that videos date more quickly than the sounds or music.

Computer graphics, clothes and hairstyles etc. too!

Having said that, it's still great (in some of them) to see Mike playing various instruments, as it may inspire others to do the same!
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2005, 12:35

I remember Mike recorded some nice videos for the VH1 channel (I think it was just after Guitars was released)
Profile PM 
David Mar
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 05 2005, 05:10

I'm old enough to remember around 20 years ago, sometimes the tv station (can't remember which one/s!;) would show videos in between programmes, when they had some extra time - that's when I saw either 2 France, or TOTL!!
afghan Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2005, 15:36

so am i ,thats when i saw crime of pasion and to france,it was at about 9 pm on stv ,that was about the usual time they came on in my region. :D

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
18 replies since Jan. 28 2005, 06:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net