Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: electrical interferance< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Michael Hilton Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 12 2010, 22:40

Hi there,would appreciate any help here.I have a home studio set-up,the usual Windows,Cakewalk,guitars etc, but I am picking up interference from my neighbours electric fence which keeps his dogs secured in the back yard.The noise is a persistant sharp ticking ,audible throughout all guitar recordings.I use a Fender Strat mostly for those creamy tones that Mike achieves, also have an old Jap Gibson copy, which I might add does'nt pick up the interference making me think it has some kind of suppressor. Would appreciate anyone who has had this problem,or any tech heads with any solutions, as it drives me nuts.thanks... Michael :)
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 13 2010, 05:03

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 05:23

Are you totally sure the interference has been recorded in the audio files, or is it only on playback?

What type of cables do you use to record, and what type do you use on your monitoring set up?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 05:26

Sorry, I just realised you mentioned some other equipment not picking up the interference.

Have you discarded the cable & amp being at fault by plugging your strat into the gibson rig?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Unregistered

Posted: May 13 2010, 07:21

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 09:31

If you need to use the strat i would suggest trying some noise cancelling pick-ups such as EMGs.They are active and aren't exactly cheap but they were designed to cancel out hum.David Gilmour used to use them for this reason.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 20:39

Or get a noise gate.
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 22:04

I live in rural Adelaide Australia,not sure on regulations re elec fences.have tried different cables,rigs etc,and other rooms in the house with no change.am about to approach neighbour which i have been avoiding as his dogs were previously escaping and causing havoc in the neighborhood,hence he installed the fence,however i'm hoping he will be cooperative as i'm sure his system does'nt adhere to the American fence co rules.failing this,your suggestions on pickups or a noise gate might be the solution.
I guess these sorts of problems are inherent with home studios on a budget,but music to the world I say...thanks heaps guys...Michael.
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: May 14 2010, 05:45

But have you figured out what apparatus is being interfered with? I mean it might not be the guitar but perhaps substandard shielding on the cabling, or perhaps the amp?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: May 14 2010, 09:43

Hi Nabla,have since done a bit more research and you could be right about the cables.I have 3 or 4 ranging in quality from cheap to expensive.The amp picks up the interference even without anything plugged in,however i dont use the amp in the studio setup,i plug the fender to a digitech effects box via a mixing desk to an m-audio soundcard.You may remember me saying the gibson copy cancels out the problem through the same setup.The strat single coils act like an antenna picking up any local electrical interferences,like your neighbours drill or your wifes blender or electric fences.I also have another neighbour on the opposite side who owns a horse stud and his elec fence looks to be in poor shape,spliced and joined incorrectly, touching foilage and probably arcing out somewhere.I ran an am radio untuned down the length of the fence and picked it up with varied intensity,am within 50 ft of that one also.having said all that,have talked to both and hopfully will have some peace and quiet soon as they just require a bit of maint.The bloke with the dogs is moving soon anyway,thanks for your reply.
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: May 14 2010, 10:06

Also,thought I might add for Ommagest,check the grounding on your power supply, or an old clunky meter box? or old wiring?.I think I had that problem years ago in an old rented property.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 14 2010, 15:45

Oh yeah, if you are thinking about changing out the pickups on your Strat for EMGs, make sure you like the sound of them first, as they are active pickups and sound very different than stock Strat pickups. There are other options like stacked pickups which sound/look like single-coil Strat pickups but are actually humbuckers. Or Fender's Vintage Noiseless pickups. Here's a few links to what I'm talking about:

DiMarzio Area '61

DiMarzio Area '58

DiMarzio Area '67

Fender Vintage Noiseless

Good luck. :)
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 15 2010, 01:20

If all else fails

Only joking Guys :)
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: May 15 2010, 04:16

lol,i'm torn,trouble is,as much as i love music,i love animals too.
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: May 15 2010, 04:31

Cheers Syd, I have an old Di Marzio on the bridge of my Gibson copy, love the sound, very sharp & bright. Bought the guitar set up that way in the seventies second-hand.
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: July 06 2010, 20:48

Thought I would conclude on this thread...the neighbour would'nt compromise the safety of his thoroughbred nags and why should he?.
So I guess the moral of this story is if you want to set up a studio using std Strats, near an electric fence...
Don't  :)
Now... what was plan b milamber  :laugh:
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: July 07 2010, 11:15

Put some metal net around your studio, if all else fails the good old faraday cage will do  :laugh:

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: July 08 2010, 04:51

Not a bad idea Nabla  :laugh:
Have gone back to using humbuckers.
The interference also affects our telephone, and internet speed,as the fence runs parallel to the phone line.
Mmmh a big cage  :laugh:
Profile PM 
17 replies since May 12 2010, 22:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net