Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Electric Light Orchestra< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man From The Moon Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 15:24

ELO - in other words - Jeff Lynne. He's the one who creates everything in ELO, so in fact every ELO album is his solo album.
I think he's very talented composer. And "TIME" album is one of the greatest I've ever heard. Let's take the only instrumental on it - "Another Heart Breakes"... Fantastic. And the rest is just brilliant too, from the beginning to the end. Beautiful, original tunes in great arrangements.

What will you write about ELO? :)
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 18:06

love em

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 18:50

I have always liked Jeff Lynne.  He always comes through in whatever he does - Travelling Wilburys, for example.  You can hear Dylan, Petty, Orbison and Harrison, but it is definitely Jeff Lynne who shaped the overall sound.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 23:05

Good stuff; espically Fire on High. "The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back! Turn back! Turn back!

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 14:41

Bought 'Out of the Blue' at the time 'Mr. Blue Sky' was a hit (must be somewhere in 1997 or something), and they soon became the group I loved the most. Certainly at the time.

Over the next few years, I bought every LP I could get my hands on.

Now, many years later, I have bought every album as CD, and still love the music. Especially the orchestrations (or the sound that made them begin classified as symphonic rock).

Out of the Blue and A New World Record are still among my most favourite albums of all time.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 18:09

Best band ever along with 'The Moody Blues' from Birmingham as well.

I agree with you, they're my two favourite records as well.

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 19:34

Love ELO!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 19:57

Hahahaha!!! Love your avatar!!!

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 16:43

Fans of ELO may like to check out an album called Alpacas Orgling from a "band" called L.E.O...It`s kind of like a Rutles style tribute to the music of Jeff Lynne,and was recorded with the same kind of love,care and attention to detail as that project as well.Some of it is maybe more Wilburyesque than full blown 70`s ELO in all their finery.But there`s still plenty of Evil Woman type AM friendly moments on it to keep all fans happy.I`ve had the album myself for a little over a year now and I still can`t get enough of it..Check it out here.

Or you can have a little listen to a few short mp3`s of the album at this link here.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 23:22

ELO!!  Now you're talking!!  Love them.  Always have, always will.  I could talk about them for hours!

Dirk, I've been a big fan of the "Alpacas Orgling" album for a long time now.  It's fantastic!

:)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 07:38

Quote (Bassman @ April 19 2008, 23:22)
ELO!!  Now you're talking!!  Love them.  Always have, always will.  I could talk about them for hours!

Dirk, I've been a big fan of the "Alpacas Orgling" album for a long time now.  It's fantastic!

:)

It`s great isn`t it.There are three/four songs on there I was`nt that into the first few times I played it, but they really get under your skin after a while.There`s not a bad track on it imo.My favourite ELO albums are probablly Out Of The Blue,Eldorado and Secret Messages.Over the last couple of years I`ve started getting into Jeff Lynne`s pre Move albums with The Idle Race as well.The man`s a legend!
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 11:27

I ADORE the Idle Race stuff!  It's sick that they put out so little before Lynne was drafted into the Move.  But as they say, the candle that burns half as long burns twice as brightly.

Dirk, any thoughts on the Lynne tribute album from a few years back?  I think it's pretty damn cool.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 11:39

Quote (Bassman @ April 20 2008, 11:27)
I ADORE the Idle Race stuff!  It's sick that they put out so little before Lynne was drafted into the Move.  But as they say, the candle that burns half as long burns twice as brightly.

Dirk, any thoughts on the Lynne tribute album from a few years back?  I think it's pretty damn cool.

Is that the "Lynne me your ears" album?I have`nt actually heard it although I`ve heard mention of it here and there.I actually really liked the Zoom album myself even though it was a closer sound to his solo album and the Wilbury`s stuff.But then as far as I`m concerned the guy can do no wrong anyway.

Here`s a little tribute video link here.How cool would this have really been?.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 11:42

Yeah, "Lynne Me Your Ears".  That's it.  The name had just escaped me for a tic there.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 12:14

Bassman,are you familiar with an Irish band called Pugwash.The man behind the band Thomas Walsh is a massive power pop/ELO/Idle Race fanatic,and is a top notch songwriter too.If you like ELO you`ll love these guys imo.Their brand new album is the best thing I`ve heard this year for me(sorry Mike!)He`s even got a couple of guys from XTC helping him out on there as well(he`s also a big XTC fan)..Check him out when you get a chance,honestly I`d be very surprised if you did`nt like em`.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 23:12

I'm gonna get some as soon as I can.  The XTC connection alone makes it too tantalizing to pass up.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 01:36

I like ELO but the only album I play regularly is ELO2 (with the lightbulb-in-space cover). Something about it really appeals to me, the overall sound seems heavier and rougher than later albums which are toned down in comparison. I love how crushingly loud In Old England Town is, the way it stomps out of the speakers and pounds away for a good 6/7 minutes. Of course there's still some delicacy with Momma, it might be heresy but I don't think Jeff Lynne wrote a better ballad.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 04:05

I like ELO. That is prior to the disco movement/influence circa 1976. They had some good material. Jeff Lynne's career...seems like he was so obsessed with sounding like John Lennon, that in the end he sounded like John Lennon, even heard rumors in the '80s(prior to Harrison's death) that a Beatles reunion might happen with Lynne. But he was good at that. Yessir, ELO was happnin', least-wise prior to the disco era. I wonder if historians 200 years from now can re-write history to friggin eliminate the disco era?
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 15:00

He also had a lot to do with the 2 'Beatles' songs Free As A Bird and Real Love.You can hear his influence right through like a stick of rock.I have a major problem with these songs though.They were Lennon solo tunes and were written long after the Beatles split.They weren't ever meant to be Beatles songs so why did they use them and call them Beatles songs?
Just cos Yoko gave permission don't make it right......grrrr!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 15:03

By the way i am a huge Beatles fan and do have a soft spot for Lynne and ELO i just don't think they should have done what they did to those tracks to sell the Anthology series.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
29 replies since Nov. 07 2005, 15:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net