Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Electric Light Orchestra< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bassman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 16:29

Those 2 "new" Beatles tracks have been a pet peeve with me for a long time.  Why, oh why could they not have just taken 2 or 3 existing FINISHED Lennon tunes, utilize just his vocal and guitar tracks, and then add their own instrument and vocal tracks (and maybe throw in a newly written verse for Ringo to sing)?  How would that be any different than they way they recorded "The White Album"?  By then they were merely each others' backing band for what was essentially a bunch of solo recordings.  Am I the only one who thinks a Fabs version of "Imagine" or "Cold Turkey" would have been frigging awesome?  And I'm not saying that their versions would supplant the originals, they'd just be offering up an alternative, that's all.  That being said, "Real Love" is a beautiful song.  Should have been bigger than it was.

The way Lynne manipulated the audio of the demoes sounded tinny and cheap, made more conspicuous when couched in such thick and rich backing tracks.  It was like he stuck a transistor radio into the middle of a modern hi-fi recording.  Did it fool anyone's ears?  Not mine.  I think it's indicative of the twangy, pseudo-rockabilly sound that Lynne has been infatuated with for quite a few years now.  The audio of "Zoom" bears that out, and it nearly ruined "Balance Of Power".

If only George Martin had been up to the task of overseeing the new songs...  But, he's always been a classy gent and I'd be willing to bet that he personally (and privately) found the idea a bit unappealing.

Further to what Major Gowan was saying, "ELO 2" is a brilliant album.  "From The Sun To The World" is bloody fantastic!  Just that one track alone very nearly sums up everything I wanted ELO to be.

"Fire On High"?  Arguably the best thing they've ever done.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 23:28

McCartney wanted George Martin to produce those songs and from what I gathered at the time Martin was very keen to do them as well.George(Harrison) obviously being big pals with Jeff Lynne and also adding to his arguement that George Martin`s hearing was`nt quite what it was, seemed to get the final say on it.Backed by Ringo as well I recall.Old Macca was his as ever annoyingly diplomatic self over the whole thing.But yeah reading between the lines I think they`d certainly had words over it in one form or another.Or as McCartney said.."...but obviously George Martin`s hearing was good enough to do the rest of the Anthology project because he`d been there originaly"...People have spent years trying to translate "Maccaspeak" it`s like a whole seperate language entirely of it`s own..

You know I can see why they chose those two songs basicaly because most of the rest of the world had`nt heard them.Plus for all John never saw fit to record them properly for whatever reason they were two great tracks imo.I don`t know it just did`nt work really did it?I always remember McCartney saying at the time.."Oh I was`nt too sure about George putting his trademark slide guitar on there originaly,but now I really love it"...Yeah yeah Paul of course you did.They were still bloody bristling all those years later no doubt about it.Whether the whole thing would have been any better with George Martin at the helm I honestly don`t know?In all reality they probably should`ve just left everything alone maybe.But as much as I love and admire Jeff Lynne his own production and recording techniques had become so stylised at that point you could spot him a mile away.Not even the then three remaining Beatles and a vocal from the inside of a metal dustbin could disguise it`s Wilburyness.You know he could`ve done an album for the RPO back then and you`d have been sat there going "..Oooh nice big bass drum sound and acoustic guitars where the hi-hats should be"..

I actualy still quite like to listen to those two songs oddly enough though.I`ve got them in a big playlist folder with some of Jeff`s other related stuff from that period..Jeff Lynne,Roy Orbison,Tom Petty,Traveling Wilburys,Ringo Starr,Duane Eddy,..and lo and behold..Paul McCartney..They sound pretty cool in there for me...I never really feel it`s The Beatles though.I don`t think I ever really did,even though I know it`s them playing on it.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2009, 17:36

Bumped because I just read that Kelly Groucutt is gone.  Heart attack, I think.

An inventive, melodic player.  Another inspiration taken away.  Shit.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2009, 20:59

I liked Kelly.Great harmony vocalist as well of course.It`s a damn shame he and Jeff Lynne couldn`t have patched up their differences and recorded together again.Damn shame all round imo.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2009, 07:18

Shit!Excuse the language but ELO were a big part of my upbringing cos Dad used to love them.Almost as much as the Beatles. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2009, 10:06

Reading this thread, I'm looking back at that magic year 1973. ELO "showdown" was played a lot on a new invention called FM. It really perked me up when I heard it. Now you got me wanting to go find that song.........

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 31 2009, 12:35

Ooooooh! I've finally found the video I remember from my youth of Wild West Hero. On youtube here. Sound quality a bit dicky but this really sums up my memory of the song. Fantastic!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: July 31 2009, 13:19

I was obsessed with ELO from about age 10-13.  Really obsessed.  Now I can't stand them.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 07:58

I fell in love with ELO with the single "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" and from that point I bought all the albums, at the time. I'd have to say my favorite is "On The Third Day", especially "Dreaming of 4000."

I lost interest in them after "New World Record" but still enjoy my ELO collection so many years later. They are "Classic" symphonic rock/pop and I deeply respect Jeff Lynne for that.

Like other music acts, I consider ELO a staple in the music history of my life, and have wonderful memories associated with thier music.

"Face The Music" was most incredible at the time, especially "Fire On High," which still gives me goosebumps when I hear it - cranked nice and LOUD!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 21:39

A few months back I put together a couple of compilation cds for my own amusement of famous rock instrumentals if you like.So there was things like Jessica By The Allman Brothers on there.Frankenstein by Edgar Winter,Samba Pa Ti by Santana etc etc.Anyway a friend of mine was over here looking through my music folders on my computer and he sees one of these "albums" on there and says.."Why have you got a picture of ELO here for an album full of classic rock instrumentals" ?

"You`ve never heard Fire On High then"? I ask him.."Oh you`re in for a treat mate,I can`t believe I`ve never played you it before"...Anyway a few minutes later during which my friend never uttered a word.He picks his jaw back up off the floor and says kind of semi ironicaly.."Yeah not bad...I want a copy of it..NOW!   :laugh:
Profile PM 
29 replies since Nov. 07 2005, 15:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net