Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Effect from TB< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alnilam Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2001, 16:13

What is the guitar effect called at the very beginning of TB Part 2?

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 26 2001, 16:22

Those are harmonics. You can get them by just touching the string lightly with your fretting hand (literally just resting it on the string) when you pluck, instead of actually fretting the note. They work best at the 12th fret (touch the string directly over the fret for the best effect).
I'm not sure that's the best description you'll ever get of it, but hopefully you'll get the idea... smile
Profile PM 
Alnilam Offline

Posted: April 26 2001, 17:19

OK thanks korg.

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 27 2001, 02:51

You can make harmonics at others frets, pressing your string just as usual :
Use a plectrum with right hand, hit the string and touch it again very slighlty in the same movement with the inch holding the plectrum... yes, pretty hard to describe... It works best with hevay distortion, but this kind of harmonics is not at all what it is played in TB Pt 2. In this part, it's usual harmonics, as said by Korgscrew at 12th, 5th and/or 7th frets.

Cheers,
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 27 2001, 06:30

I considered mentioning those as well, but didn't wink
Those are known as pinched harmonics (in case anyone was wondering...) and they're not the easiest thing in the world to get right wink

I'd usually do them in a more odd way - it involves placing the thumb of the picking hand just slightly against the string, while picking it with the first finger...I think the thumb has to be touching the string in the mid point between the place you're fretting the note and the bridge of the guitar, so you have to move your hand slightly as you go higher up or lower down...
It makes a really high sqealing note...but maybe that's not worth worrying about for now smile.
Profile PM 
4 replies since April 26 2001, 16:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net