[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Effect< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Peter Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 01 2002, 20:44

Hello everybody!!!

<sorry for my English>
Can someone tell me, how did Mike create that wonderful sound in the solo in Crises starting at 2:19, please? I think it's played with one bass guitar and one electric, but I'd like to know, which effect is used here.

Thanks very much for your answer.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 02 2002, 18:53

That sound playing the lead part sounds, to me, like a strat played through a compressor, with some of the treble rolled off, perhaps using the tone control, or more likely, on the mixing desk.

Have a play around with different pickup positions - I'd think it was probably the bridge and middle pickups being used there, but I may be wrong.
Profile PM 
Peter Offline

Posted: June 03 2002, 17:39

Oh, thanks very much. I didn't hope, that someone can tell me so exactly, what could it be, but it doesn't matter :-).

It doesn't seem I can help you somehow with something, but if I can, write me.

Bye!
Profile PM 
PerfectStranger Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2005, 07:52

It seems to me it's a guitar with humbuckers (probably his SG) on the neck pickup.

--------------
...laughing at the world till the barman wipes away the warm wet circles...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 18 2005, 17:29

Not so sure on that, but I think I might change my mind from what I said in my reply from three years ago...

It does sound fatter than a strat, you're right there, but the sharper sound leads me to to say it's going to be a bridge pickup, and I'd take a guess that it's a P90 bridge pickup (as on Mike's seemingly favourite guitars at the time, the SG/Les Paul Juniors). Compare it with some of the sounds on Ommadawn, which were definitely the SG, I think there's a big similarity there. They have some of the open sound of a strat, but with a fair bit more fatness. I'll stick with the compressor/EQ treatment suggestion I put forward before though.
Profile PM 
PerfectStranger Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2005, 11:09

You're probably right about the compressor. My answer was solely based on the clean bits between 2:19 and 2:54 but it has that bite of a single coil, so a P90 might not be off at all  :)

Cool board  :cool:

--------------
...laughing at the world till the barman wipes away the warm wet circles...
Profile PM 
5 replies since June 01 2002, 20:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net