Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Early MO guitar sound on a budget....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
emac Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 04 2006, 05:16

Hi all!
    Largley infulenced by the early Oldfield stuff I was drawn towards the Gibson SG junior. Mine is a early 66 which is largely the same as the 61-62 ones that mike used in the first half of his recording career, up to about Discovery and can also be heard on Amarok.
They have a distinctive sound and mine is never going to be sold.
I also have the 2000 ish sg junior and it is kind of the same style as the later 60s ones but still sound a lot like the earlier ones.
All in all these are now expensive guitars, and if I were starting again there is no way that I could afford these guitars.
There is a way to get the sound on a budget.
Enter the Epiphone!
As I do not wish breaking or loosing the Gibsons when playing somwhere, I purchased a Epiphone SG 400 custom. It felt a lot like the Early Sg junior (although a lot heavier)
However It sounded not at all like the juniors. In fact It sounded blurry and weak at the same time.
Here is the cure.
I changed the pickups to a P-90 in a humbucker shape.
What is a P-90?... Well it is a very early gibson pickup design that still exists today and it was fitted to many of Gibsons cheaper guitars including the Les paul and Sg juniors.
They have a almost human quality in their sound and they can sound lovable and pure when clean and once distorted, scream like a banshee!
Anyhow I put 3 Wilburn Custom Shop P-90 conversion pickups in this Epiphone and It now sounds somewhat like the Juniors (close enough), plus with the 2 extra pickups I can get a pile of other tones, and all of them good.
The Epiphone cost less than half of the price of the cheapest gibson (and much of the quality is superior)
Wilburn Custom Shop Pickups are not expensive either..

Well that sorts out the guitar. What about the elusive distorted sound?
The other day I purchased a Danelectro Fab Distortion pedal (not the Fabtone pedal) It is about the cheapest pedal on the market, and they sound Great! a good chord and Lead sound with great seperation.
I have used Tube screamers for years, they work well with fender amps... But thats about it. through most other amps they can sound like foghorns.
The Danelectro Fab Distortion does not seem to be fussy about amps and is happy to work with anything.
While you cannot quite get "First Excursion" out of it, Its not far off. And the "knebworth" sound is easily in reach of this pedal.

So there is is. If you cannot afford a Sg junior, a vox practice amp and a glornfindle box. Try an Epiphone SG (even the cheapest plywood ones will get you there), Wilburn Custom Shop P-90 conversion pickups and a Danelectro Fab Distortion.
And then Smoke too much get drunk and play with long fingernails and talent....

And If you want to know where to get WCS pickups look here:
http://www.wilburncustomshop.com/P90bucker-iv.htm

This is no advert, I was just very impressed with these pickups and would like to share the good news for those looking for the elusive MO sound.

While I don't try to emulate Mike anymore (I have My own sound now) The Sgs are still, for me the right guitar. Yes I have a PRS (the Rolls Royce of production guitars) and it plays like falling of a wet log, but they make you a lazy player very quickly.
The cheaper Epiphone (with new pickups) does the job just fine.

So if it can be done on a budget, why would'nt you!

Is there any need to reply to this drivel? (you can if you want)

emac.

Ps. Oh.... if you want to know what I do sound like go here:
http://bathurstafterdark.com/artist/eden_mackenzie.shtml
and check the MP3s out. (Gealach solas and roger's bouzouki)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2006, 18:15

Hi emac,

I'm no expert when it comes to guitar tech far from it :/ , but I've listened to your Gealach Solas and Roger's Bouzouki mp3's, I like them, especially enjoyed the bouzouki one  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2006, 03:45

Thanks Moonchild, for the very kind words...
            I did the album a few years ago and set it out in the classic "long instrumential and then some shorter songs" style
If you want a copy of the whole lot let me know.
In fact I'm thinking of doing some kind of promotion for members of this forum (I realise I should be saying this in one of the other discussion subjects, and I will) to get some people who might like this style of music. In listening to the album the Oldfield infulence is subtle but still apparant. After all, my all time favorite album is "Hergest Ridge". But you can also hear bits of Yes, Rush and Tull and a lot of straight ahead Folk...
I'm useless at self promotion but I can say that if you want to listen to an album with the twists and turns of a classic Oldfield album "Living in a Clock" is well worth a spin (the art work is great too).
emac.
Profile PM 
mortal wizard Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2006, 09:18

i've found something pretty oldfieldish very close to the montreaux setting but it works on his earlier stuff aswell (same sg junior and whatnot) it goes, fender amp with full mids and treble over 5 at least no bass and volume to whatever your preference, next an overdrive/distortion pedal i have a boss one but any will do or a DS-1 with tone to full and drive to 5 should suffice, next you need an EQ with all the mids boosted and a little bit of treble everything else is cut then use both pickups or the bridge (works on singlecoils or 'buckers) my strat sound brilliant through it and a les paul/sg can only sound better still thanks
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2006, 09:07

I'd always like to experiment with different tones, i used to try to get Mikes sound, that is, i could get ut with most of my guitars with the aid of a compression pedal, but now, im trying to get my own tone, but im finding it hard to do it, being hat im so young, i think ive got more years to find out! :)

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
emac Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2006, 17:08

I tried for about 5 years to sound like mike.. and then another 10 trying not to...
incedently I had to sell a few of my guitars and the epi sg went as well as my 02 sj junior (I still have my old one)
I now have a Godin LG sp-90 and it is very versatile and well priced too. It nails the P-90 sound very well.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 04 2006, 05:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net