Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: DVD's in general< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 19 2002, 04:58

Please can someone tell me more about DVD's? I know there are 2 regions - and like videos, you need the correct equipment to play them on. I was wondering - will both regions play on a computer - if so, then it would be less of a problem!!
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2002, 18:37

A DVD has 6 regions and some of them can be played on other regions and some of them not. For exemple I think region 4 can be played on region 2 machines. The same thing goes for computers, a region coded dvd player for a computer works exectly as an ordinar dvd-player. There are some ways to get a region free dvd player both for the livingroor and tha computer. But how you do that you will have to look around for in other places. I do not know how these things works and how leagle they are.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2002, 05:12

I have never really understood region coding. I know that it helps to stop dodgey illegal imports, but surely they could have some other way then completely making it impossable to legally buy an American or English DVD and playing it on my Aussie DVD player. It's just that there are so many DVD's out there that cannot be played on a region 4 player (that's Australia), and it's a mystery to me why?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2002, 19:11

The reason for REGION CODED DVD's is to create a ripoff pricing market in specific regions.

If you have a DVD player in USA where the price of the DVD is about half of that of EUROPE which is in another REGION then you can create a Pricing policy to suit a specific market.

Internet buying plus international travel allows individuals to purchace DVD's in other regions, thus they think they have beat the system BUT by using builtin codes the DVD player refuses to play the DVD.

You can now puchase REGION FREE DVD PLAYERS on the internet or if you own a DVD player already, some makes allow you to input software codes to remove region codes.

You can see how international markets work when all this regional coding was devised before DVDs manufacturing and then became available to the public.

whos laughing at joe public :laugh:

Cheers MO fan
Profile PM 
R@inbow Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2002, 10:51

Most Music DvD's are region free tough.

My Tubular Bell II&III has no region code, so it would be able to play on every dvd player.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2002, 12:47

There does not seem to be much problem with Music played on DVD players, what I was more concerned about is Video/ films where regions do count.

As I said, you can take countermeasures or another solution is to live in a more 'consumer friendly priced' society like the USA.

Cheers MO fan :p
Profile PM 
5 replies since Oct. 19 2002, 04:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net