Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Drums on Tubular Bells new version, who playing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2003, 07:04

Hi
Who is playing drums on the new version of Tubulat Bells? Could it be Simon Phillips!
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2003, 07:05

sorry  - Tubular Bells
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2003, 08:08

Good question, who knows? I think its interesting that Mike, from what we know so far, appears to be working alone on the project without any input from Tom Newman though I guess we may find out differently in the months ahead.

The one section I'm looking forward to hearing how its redone is the bagpipe section on part 2, how will he recreate this? Indeed It's part 2 in general I'm looking forward to hearing the most because part 1 is perfect as it is, he can't improve on it (for me), but part 2 on the original did sound slightly less well formed IMHO, It'll be interesting to see what he's done with it.

ps torbenyj You can correct any speeling mistakes with the 'edit' function.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2003, 16:37

imo simon philips would be a good one in the case of drums had to be highlighted. he draws an amazing base for the other instruments all along crises… in the studio version he’s got the power of a train and live he proves this power is real.

and for the remake of the bagpipes bit,  do u think it’s possible we find bagpipes instead of a guitar sounding like them? regarding the parallel track in tbll, tattoo, it could make some sense imho, or maybe that bit is meant to sound just like it does, that is, a guitar sounding like bagpipes…
?

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2003, 19:39

Maria I think real bagpipes would be good, I liked the real bagpipe sould he got on 'Flowers of the Forest' on 'Voyager' although I must admit I hated that awful compressed synthy sound he used on 'Tatoo'. I've got a feeling he may stick to his original idea and use guitars sounding like bagpipes, It'll be interesting to see how it ends up.

My reckoning to why Simon Phillips won't make an appearance on TB2003 is that he a) Costs an absalute fortune to hire and b) Is the most sought after drumer in the music buisness and is probably fully booked. Infact didn't Mike say something along these lines in an interview at some point?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2003, 20:40

When you listen to Tubular Bells, there really are not many drums at all: the only drums I can remember are on the Piltdown Man section. I do agree that Simon Phillips would be great for Mike to work with again, but I'm sure there are lots of other great drummers around.

As for the bagpipes, if he is going to stick to the original as closely as possable, he will probably use 'guitars sounding like bagpipes'. One question: will he use his fancy Roland MIDI pickup, or will he dig out his old electronics?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2003, 17:54

Point 1: What about John 'J.R.' Robinson? He was cool, on the corresponding section in TBII. :)

Point 2: I don't think Mike will get his 'glorfindel box' out of the closet [by the way, with the release of the re-done TB, is he cleanin' out his closet? :D :D], because it never worked properly, not even on the original recording. And I hear that he became somewhat lazy, lately, so maybe he won't bother overdubbing 10 guitars one over another to obtain that sound... I think he'll just trigger samples from the original TB via his Roland MIDI thingie. :)

Anyway all of the above is, of course, IMHO.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 18 2003, 07:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net