Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Drum sample in Crystal Clear, Taken from Led Zeppelin?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 27 2004, 19:22

This is something that I discussed quite a while ago in the IRC channel, but since I forgot what was replied, I'm asking it again here. :)

A couple of days ago I was listening to TSODE as muzak, i.e. not really concentrating on it, when a very peculiar drum sample in Crystal Clear caught my ears: it sounds very like the famous "drum-kit-through-a-staircase" part in Led Zeppelin's "When the levee breaks". It is sped up a lot, but the sound and the pattern are unmistakable. That sample is fairly common; one of the many people who used it before Mike is Michael Cretu a.k.a. Enigma, in his "Mea culpa". As TSODE has lots & lots of references and allusions to Enigma all the way through [AFAIK Mike and Michael C. are friends, so I don't think there was any resentment... :)], this may count as one.

Do you think that Mike took that sample directly from the Led Zeppelin song (as Cretu did) or not?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
dbruce Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2004, 20:31

I remember reading that it was a direct sample, and hearing it I could definitely believe it. Personally can't say for sure as it could just be a good imitation, but I'm convinced it's sampled.

David
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2004, 08:35

Yes, it is, and the same goes to the drums of Out of Sight.

It's stated also in the Amarok discography.

(However, I'm not absolutely sure whether it's really a direct copy or someone played/cut it especially for a sample CD. Is it sure that Cretu did not take it from a sample CD?)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2004, 09:19

Quote (EeToN @ Dec. 28 2004, 14:35)
Is it sure that Cretu did not take it from a sample CD?

As my mom often says, nothing is sure in this world except for death. :D
(Dark) joking aside, I remember reading an interview (or an article, or a press release, I'm not sure) that Cretu gave/wrote shortly after MCMXC AD was released, and shortly after a German monks' choir had sued him for illegally using samples from a CD they made ("Paschale Mysterium"), where he listed all the samples he used on the first Enigma album. He mentioned the "666" album by Aphrodite's Child, the song "Par Avion" by Mike & the Mechanics... and "When the levee breaks", adding that he wasn't the first person to use that drum sample. :) Of course, what he said he did and what he actually did may be two entirely different things. :D And, anyway, I know that the Amarok discography, considering its contributors, is pretty darn accurate. If the sample was from a sample CD, they wouldn't have mentioned the Led Zeppelin song there, as well as the album featuring it! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2004, 09:23

Deleted - accidentally doubled reply. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
4 replies since Dec. 27 2004, 19:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net