Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Double album to be released around September 2005< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ingvar V Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2005, 06:44

OK! For us non-english-speaking peoples, here's how the MacOSX Tiger Dictionary explains the word quicksilver:

quicksilver |?kwik?silv?r| noun: the liquid metal Mercury [hmmm]. • used in similes and metaphors to describe something that moves or changes very quickly, or that is difficult to hold or contain : his mood changed like quicksilver.

I have a cover design idea: A splat of quicksilver with a butterfly attached to it. Maybe...let me think...in very blue-ish colours...  ;)

Or a dead Virgin with some Warner brother attached to...  :cool:
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 29 2005, 00:12

Cute post Ingvar, I like it.

I did think 'Quicksilver' was a bit of a naive or unimaginative title but when you describe it like that is is perfect, don't you think? [QUOTE] something that moves or changes very quickly, or that is difficult to hold or contain [QUOTE]

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: July 23 2005, 09:46

Has anyone manage to pre order the album yet? Is it listed on any webshop around the world? Its not far from september now.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
zinc Offline

Posted: July 23 2005, 13:52

It all seems to be very quiet about the new album.
Does anyone have any news?
Thanks
z
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 23 2005, 14:48

Hi all

Just thought you would like to know that according to the new edition of the UK's RECORD COLLECTOR magazine (August 2005) Mike's double-cd is due out in August ! ..........On their 'In the Pipeline' page it lists all
forthcoming cd's & dvd's due in the next few months ...... the page shows a large-ish b/w pic of the front cover of Ommadawn at the top ........highlighting Mike's new release above any other is a nice touch I thought ! ..... it gives no title for the new album.

Neil
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: July 23 2005, 22:45

I can't read this but I can make out the release date:  27/09/2005.  Can someone please translate?

http://www.lahiguera.net/musicalia/artistas/mike_oldfield/disco/2023/

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 24 2005, 09:26

The translation is here. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 24 2005, 13:18

Here's another Quicksilver:

http://members.aol.com/thefightingfury/whoclix/quick.gif

Marvel Comics "mutant" superhero character. Son of Magneto of "X-Men" fame.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
RIU Dream Checker Offline

Posted: July 24 2005, 19:07

Quote (Olivier @ May 13 2005, 08:28)
From mikeoldfield.com:

I am very pleased to announce that I have recently signed a three album deal with Mercury records, part of  Universal Music Group.

The first Album which I am just putting the final touches to is a double Album for release around September 2005. The first Disk is made up of atmospheric "Ambient" or "Chillout" pieces. The second Disk is of more up-tempo tracks some of which are in the darker moodier vein. There are 18 tracks in all and they were created using my new virtual software studio mostly with lead melodies using all the different Guitars and "Grand Piano" The vocals were made using a new generation of software virtual vocalists.

Untitled as yet but maybe called "Quicksilver"       Whadayathink

Mike

i´m very glad to read about the fothcomming album.... can´t wait until i get the 2 cds to listen to oldfield´s music......... i´m sure the album will be a great work![QUOTE] :) [CODE]
Profile PM 
lordlucan Offline

Posted: July 24 2005, 20:12

I'm very much looking forward to a new Mike Oldfield album, specially if it's a double CD - LOTS of new music!  Yeah! :)))

I just hope it's all instrumental.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - Mike Oldfield is a stunning musician, one of the greatest composers of our time, but by Christ his lyrics suck!

But anyway, I'm really looking forward to the new album.  And because of its timing I may be able to get someone to get it for me as a birthday present.  One disc of chillout music, one disc of music with balls - I cannot wait!

I think "Quicksilver" is a marvellous title, by the way.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 04:21

Finally I realise why all these new members have surfaced and old members are revisiting the site, is it because Mike is releasing a new album?!

I'm confused!!!! Is it coming out in August now or still Sept?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 29 2005, 04:40

I Disagree about Mikes Lyric Songs strongly..Ok they
arent to everyones taste but personally I ve always
liked most of the Output... Man in the Rain  halfway
through TB3  is a masterstroke it breaks the album
up nicely .. who cannt smile at 5 miles out... Very
Quirky !! Island s   a classic  as well    "Whats the
problem " there ?  Hope we get 2 or 3 Vocal Gems
on the new DOUBLE CD    as well  Looking forward
to release Date time  :)
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 06:55

Very worried to see 'virtual vocalists' being used, I'm sure these are fun to play aroud with but this is music, what on earth is wrong with using 'real' people? Try and imagine Ommadawn with a virtual Clodagh Simonds.

I think in the past, the thing we all loved about Oldfield's music was how genuine and real it sounded, it was hand crafted and felt like it came from the earth itself. Now what we get are saxophones played by Midi guitar, I mean didn't he get in Courtney Pine once to do that for him.

Obviously I have the choice not to listen and not be bothered, but I just feel there is a massive talent going to waste here. If you want my advice Mike leave the computers alone, get in touch with Tom Newman, drink lots of beer (maybe have some cheese) and start having some fun with your old guitars, mandolins, bodrhans and the like.

I'm sure it's not too late, look at your old chum Robert Wyatt, had something of a reprise recently and got nominated for a Mercury Music award. :/

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 07:40

Quote (hairy old hippy @ July 29 2005, 06:55)
If you want my advice Mike leave the computers alone, get in touch with Tom Newman, drink lots of beer (maybe have some cheese) and start having some fun with your old guitars, mandolins, bodrhans and the like.

I'm sure it's not too late, look at your old chum Robert Wyatt, had something of a reprise recently and got nominated for a Mercury Music award. :/

Amen to that!!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 07:48

Before I say anything about 'talent going to waste' I'd prefer to hear the music. I don't want to start judging music I've never even heard.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 10:02

Quote (familyjules @ July 29 2005, 07:40)
If you want my advice Mike leave the computers alone, get in touch with Tom Newman, drink lots of beer (maybe have some cheese) and start having some fun with your old guitars, mandolins, bodrhans and the like.

Amen to that!!

Jules

I don't know.  I think that computers have been quite "instrumental" in many of Mike's albums, including some that are among my favorites.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 14:10

I'm with Jules and Hairy Hippy on this (great name by the way!!!;) Would do the quote thing but I can't get the blasted thing to work properly.....I particularly like the bit about the music coming from the earth - I really feel this too, truly "organic". I know the virtual sax was very clever on Tres Lunas, but anything virtual is never very satisfying if you know what I mean. I wonder if Mike is going this way because only he knows in his head the kind of sound he's  looking for and as soon as you collaborate it changes things, either a little or a lot. It's all speculation anyway, what do I know?
Nevertheless, once the new album is released, I shall buy it, play it, and most definitely LOVE it!!! A double too, what have we done to deserve this????  I really am going to be the happiest girl in my village!!!!!!!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 14:42

True, computers have been instrumental in all of Oldfield's albums since the late seventies/early eighties. It's just that I think of late they have become too instrumental.

I think it's fine to use them as a recording tool, it is amazing what they can do. Infact alot of music I listen to by other artists is very computer based, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada etc. It's just that I can't hear Mike's soul in any of his recent stuff. It just doesn't sound as if he's picked up a guitar and really lost himself in it for a long time.

I know it's all individual taste, alot of us are clearly enjoying it, but I find it hard to relate to something inspired by computer software. Maybe Marvin the Paranoid Android would have more luck!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 19:22

With a brain the size of a planet, and a pain in the diodes down his left side, Marvin would certainly come up with The Millenium Bell.

But could he have given us Amarok, or TSODE, or Ommadawn?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 19:50

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ July 29 2005, 15:02)
Quote (familyjules @ July 29 2005, 07:40)

Amen to that!!

Jules

I don't know.  I think that computers have been quite "instrumental" in many of Mike's albums, including some that are among my favorites.

I too go along with Jules, Hairy Old Hippy and Bee on this one   :) .
I prefer music to be played on real instruments, as much as possible   :) .   I love albums such as TSODE and Tubular Bells 3, which do use computers, but I think too much EMPHASIS can be put on their use.  Virtual vocalists, couldn't really imagine it myself.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
226 replies since May 13 2005, 08:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net