Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Does your 2009 TB compute + the 2009 Mercury demos< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Almohan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 16 2009, 15:10

Hello from France.
This is just the place I was looking for. I know the world is full of unanswered interrogations, but please bear with me as I have the following questions (in case this is not the proper place for my queries, would the webmaster either move this post or let me know where I should do that myself?):

1. according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....terial, "When the album is inserted into a computer, additional material from the website is available, such as an interview with Mike Oldfield which was filmed on a rainy day in the Bahamas in May 2009." Problem is, though I ordered my copy of the deluxe edition from GB (through Loudclothing), nothing special happens (except music of course) when I put either disc 1 or disc 2 or even the DVD in the computer: I don't get prompted to do anything special, plus all I can see on the CDs from the File Explorer are the tracks. Now, I found that due to legal reasons the microsite cannot be accessed from France; would that explain why the CDs don't even bother to launch an internet connection? I'd doubt that. Now may I ask what happens with *your* CDs? Can you see anything apart from tracks on them?

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells#Demo_version states that "Pieces from Oldfield's 1971 demos appear on the 2009 Mercury reissue of Tubular Bells; also included on this release is a scrapped mix of the album from Spring 1973." Now I just don't get what "the 2009 Mercury reissue of Tubular Bells" is; is it not the same as the deluxe I just got (which does not include any demos)? If not, I'd sure like to know what it is (an URL perhaps?). Besides, are those demos any different from the ones we got on the 2003 audio DVD?

3. according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells#Post-release_bonus_material again, "Since the creation of the releases more material has been unearthed, such as another alternate version (second take) of "Caveman"; these may be released on the website at a later date." As I mentioned, the microwebsite cannot be used from France, so would anyone know how long this is going to last? Forever obviously?

Thanks in advance for any answer!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 16:07

1. No, nothing happens if you just insert the CD. You have to type in the URL manually (see below). Wikipedia is wrong.

2. The demos are on the third disc of the Ultimate Edition - not the Deluxe one, which is just the 2009 mix and the original one.

3. Go to www.docoja.com/blue, type www.pushentertainment.com/283 in the blank space and click Go. It doesn't work for me ("Your e-mail address is invalid"), but maybe it will work for you... ;) However, as of now, the microwebsite contains only the interview.

Hope I can help. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Almohan Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 16:08

Now I can answer part of it. As it turns out, the wikipedia page phrases it in a very inappropriate way. There is nothing special with the CDs, and nothing happens when you put them in the computer (contrary to what happens with lots of CDs these days). Indeed, you need to connect to the website first, then insert the CD, and see what happens.
Yet nothing was supposed to happen if you did that from France, as your IP was blocked for some legal (?) reasons. Anyway, some "robot" up there listened to my plea. :)
Profile PM 
Almohan Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 16:20

Hope I can help.

Thank you, Ugo.
As I mentioned below yours (not having been notified you had answered, though I thought I had checked that in my profile), the wikipedia page is really unreliable on several instances.
And yes, I got the website to open to France--pretty proud and thankful for that, I am. ;)
As for the demos from the Ultimate Edition, would you say they differ from the five 2003 audio dvd pieces? Yeah, I could check wikipedia, but you know. . . :/
Profile PM 
Almohan Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 17:31

As for the demos, it seems the Ultimate Edition has nothing more than the audio DVD. Now I'd like to lay my ears on that "scrapped mix of the album from Spring 1973". . . Anyone heard it?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 17:51

If you actually managed to access the microsite, could you please send me a direct link to the page where Mike's video interview is featured? [You may PM me.] I tried to download its high-quality version from YouTube using the VideoDownloader software, but all I got is a blank video with nothing in it. Maybe dowloading it with the same piece of software from the official website will work better, who knows? ;)

Regarding the demos, yes, they're the same ones that are featured on the TB 2003 DVD-A. But the versions of them which are featured in the Ultimate Edition box sound better.

Regarding the 'scrapped mix', that's essentially a rough mix of Part 1. The differences between that one and the final mix, however, are quite subtle.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Almohan Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 01:47

could you please send me a direct link to the page where Mike's video interview is featured?
The page is at http://www.pushentertainment.com//index.cfm?promotion=283. There you may either download a mp4 file, or watch the same streaming. I don't know where you're connecting from, but as for me the streaming thing keeps trying for ever, so I chose to download the mp4 file, but for some reason the quality is rather poor, the image freezing often. May have to do with my system though.
As for the demos, disregarding good or better quality, would you say we got all there is to get then? I thought I had read of a bootleg with more stuff around.
Thanks for the 'scrapped mix' explanation.
Hope you get to download the video.

PS Would you know why I keep having to check "Do you wish to track this topic?" below the place where I'm writing my posts? I guess I checked that in my profile, but the check keeps disappearing each time I reload the page by "Preview Post". . .
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 16 2009, 15:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net