Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Does the 'saxophone guitar' sound like an EWI?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 03 2002, 12:33

Hallo everyone. I am writing this while the Tr3s Lunas CD, spinning on my player, is providing me a very pleasant soundtrack smile, and I am also thinking that maybe I should put this in Tubular Tech, as my question is technical. But since I'm thinking about a sound only appearing in Tr3s Lunas, I put it here. smile

As most of you know, there are some places in Tr3s Lunas where Mike's guitar is supposed to sound like a saxophone. I say that it's "supposed to", because to my (cloth?) ears it sounds much more like an EWI. This is a little electronic thing by Yamaha (I think its name stands for Electronic Wind Instrument, or something like that...). This instrument looks like a long soprano sax with keys and it is connected to a sound module with many presets. The default one is the alto saxophone, but the other ones emulate all other classical & modern wind instruments... trumpet, flute, recorder, horn and so on. The instrument itself is equipped with a small fan in the mouthpiece, acting as 'breath controller', i.e. the player can control the sound by breathing into it, and it can also be turned off. Well... Mike's guitar sounds to me very like an EWI simulating a sax, but with the 'breath controller' turned off... maybe Mike connected his MIDI pickup to the EWI's sound module... smile

Please tell me what do you think of this, and, if you know the EWI, also tell me if you like its sound or not. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 03 2002, 21:16

It sounds like a synth sax to me...apart from the odd vibrato and certain note approaches, it could be a keyboard. I think it's a physically modelled sound...
Profile PM 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: June 04 2002, 03:59

Ugo! Today i killed my tech supporter:))))

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 04 2002, 19:29

Richard: I think that the EWI's sound module features physically modelled sounds as its presets.

Paul: Aren't you going a little bit off topic? smile biggrin

--------------
Profile PM 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 02:37

Well to be honest the guys at the tech support (who died) could have sax playing experience so why not?:)))))))))

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 09:55

As far as I can make out, Yamaha's series of EWIs (the WX series) were controllers only. Their physical modelling synths are able to respond to a breath controller, which makes them a good partner to an EWI. Akai made a number of wind synthesisers as well, the EWI series (which is probably where that term comes from).
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 22:24

Not so sure on the physical modelling front, actually - I change my mind...I think i can hear the points where it crosses between samples...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 18:15

confusedWhat the hell do you mean, Richard? confused

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 19:26

Read up on multisamples and all will become clear...
Profile PM 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: June 09 2002, 01:50

And God said... let there be sax.

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
9 replies since June 03 2002, 12:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net