Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Does anyone know where to get the games?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MVR Superstar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2009, 17:00

Does anyone know where to get the games anymore, mikeoldfield.com just redirects me to tubularbells2009.com, and i cant find the games on that.

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 25 2009, 18:27

Try this link. most of the old content still seems to be there, just not accessible from the redirected home page!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2009, 19:09

@ MVR Superstar: once you followed Matt's link above here, don't be fooled by the presence of a "Purchase" or "Purchase Registration Key" button. Both games are absolutely free. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2009, 05:29

It really does seem odd that now, there does not seem to be an "official" way to get the games any more (that is, without knowing the "secret" link). I wonder if something could be done about that?
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 12:52

Well, actually I already have the games, I was just worried it was impossible to get them if I ever lost them, or a friend wanted them. But thanks for the advice anyway.

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 17:46

I'm afraid Mike has put the MVR games into the "Been there, Done that, not Interested Anymore" box.

There were only ever a handful of us active players, and probably just a few hundred (maybe pushing a thousand?) who downloaded it.

We are a small band of brothers and we can't truly hope to see any activity again. Just spread the word, become an underground secret society - pass it from parent to child - until one day it's true brilliance is recognised by the world!  :D  :p

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2009, 17:52

Quote (olracUK @ Nov. 09 2009, 17:46)
I'm afraid Mike has put the MVR games into the "Been there, Done that, not Interested Anymore" box.

There were only ever a handful of us active players, and probably just a few hundred (maybe pushing a thousand?) who downloaded it.

We are a small band of brothers and we can't truly hope to see any activity again. Just spread the word, become an underground secret society - pass it from parent to child - until one day it's true brilliance is recognised by the world!  :D  :p

I'm afraid you're right, Olrac... It's a real shame, as the whole idea of a game with no real objective (Tres Lunas) is quite revolutionary. I can't help thinking that if the Tres Lunas record itself had been more representative of the music in the game, rather than a "chill out" release, he would have sold more albums and the game would have been more popular, encouraging him to do more games. Oh well, maybe in a parallel universe it has already happened!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2009, 15:38

Quote (olracUK @ Nov. 09 2009, 23:46)

Exactly. The games were just one of the many, many things that Mike did first for himself and then for the public. He never had any serious intentions to get himself into the video games business, and most certainly he didn't have any intentions to create real competitors with all the very elaborate PC and console games around. Sure that the concept is revolutionary, but paradoxically that may be another reason why the games didn't spread much farther than the Mke Oldfield fans community. The main reason they didn't is, of course, that they are Mike Oldfield creations. We downloaded/bought/played/enjoyed them (and we still do) for the same reasons why we enjoy his music.

By the way, I wouldn't define us a band of brothers. Maybe it's just me - I loved the WWII-themed TV show with that title - but I still get the impression that the designation of "band of brothers" is only fitting for a small group of soldiers or fighters (even "positive" ones - e.g. firefighters), not for game players - least of all for players of a game whose nature is extremely non-violent. I would rather call us a community, which of course is the same term that Mike himself often used. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2009, 15:16

I dunno about that....but as a night shift worker it has been a real pleasure to discover the Facebook games Mafia Wars and Yoville. Join me on Facebook. jimbobuys@yahoo.com will add you. My crew(s) will grow.....so will yours. FUN GAMES!
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2009, 21:29

Scatter, are these games new to facebook? This is the second time in as many days I've come across a reference to them (but before that, nothing). Someone I know is playing "War Machine".
Profile PM 
9 replies since Sep. 25 2009, 17:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net