No 7  [17.50%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you own "Tubular Bells" on vinyl?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 08:49

The 33 1/3 vinyl phonograph record of "Tubular Bells" is certainly important historically, and with its "tin boxes" etc references is quite interesting. How many of you own it?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 10:26

I don't have many editions but I have three - original UK with "two virgins" label (received at least five years ago from a friend in London), Italian 1973 original print (bought two years ago, with red and green label - red on Side A, green on Side B) and Italian 1980s reprint (also bought two years ago, and also with red and green label). They are all very badly scratched - the Italian 1973 copy is the worst. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 11:22

I just have the American "double-virgins" one from 1974. The most recent one (of ANY Oldfield) I have on vinyl is "Islands". I actually got that one on CD, vinyl, and cassette.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 11:38

Got the same as Ugo has, except for the Italian release. But I also have the picture disk, which is really nice. There seem to be different versions for some albums, which is quite funny. I also got a german QE2 lp with a green sleeve and an Korean Killing Fields. I only recently started collecting the vinyl albums (because of the great covers) and now got vinyl albums up to Distant Earth. But does anyone know if there are later albums on vinyl? Like voyager of Guitars? I didn't find them on e-bay
Runaway son from holland! :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 12:01

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 30 2005, 11:38)
Like voyager of Guitars? I didn't find them on e-bay
Runaway son from holland! :cool:

I turned the CD cover booklet/sheet inside out because I did not like the cover art for "Voyager".  I can't imagine doing the same for an LP of "Voyager". I think it would involve an art knife and glue.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 16:53

Oh my... Am I the only one, who hasn't got it? :O
MUST get it immediately...

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 20:43

Yes have a mid 70's pressing, the Two Virgins label , with the bright green centre, as oposed to the earlier olive green centre  :) . Have earlier pressing of Ommadawn, but unfortunately has more snap , crackle and pop than a bowl of Rice Krispies :(.  Have an orignal pressing of Boxed. As a record collector  I often try to find different pressings of albums and singles :).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 21:45

TB1 was the first LP bought for me when I was 9 years old - approximately 1 year after it's release. My Mum borrowed the album from a neighbour and although she enjoyed the album, I was the one hooked and I requested repeated plays.

TB1 sort of set a template for a few years in terms of what I enjoyed and was prepared to listen to - as restrictive as it was enlightening. But I don't regret that for one minute. I am often in awe of what the majority miss out on and for that I am grateful.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
hcdjp Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 17:24

i own the 1973 , in a sebo ( a place that sells old things, i dont know if its like in portuguese ) . It was R$10,00 ( like U$$3.30)

Wonderfull. Wonderfull
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 17:40

My Dad had the 1974 LPs of HR and TB, the sound quality on HR is *awful* very quiet and ruined by the usual.

:/

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 11:34

That Hergest Ridge Lp sounds so bad because of the oil crises at the time :/ . Of course I wasn't around at the time, but that's what I'd read!
I've got some more lp's from that year that sound awful!

--------------
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 15:11

I bought the original on vinyl when it first came out. I have it on CD too, to preserve the original. I have 'Boxed' on vinyl too, but I was never that keen on that version of TB1, particularly the buzzing plane at the end. An early example of Mike messing with gadgets (quad surround in this case) and failing to do anything good with them
I also have a mint copy of the original Tubular Bells single. I got it a few years ago for 1.50 in Birminghams Rag Market.

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 15:33

That single of tubular bells is absolutely great! I've had it as well, but traded it with another fan for the Froggy went a courting single, which is a laugh, but really great, especially the cover ;) !

--------------
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 06:05

No, not any more.

I gave away my complete record collection to a collector when my record player broke down some 10 years ago, and I was buying all good albums on CD anyway.

I could have made a couple of you happy, buy alas.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
hcdjp Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:50

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Oct. 02 2005, 17:40)
My Dad had the 1974 LPs of HR and TB, the sound quality on HR is *awful* very quiet and ruined by the usual.

:/

i fixed my tb album ,and i recorded it in PC.
I took of the imperfections with a program, now its sounds a milion better =)
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 17:56

i have quite a few copies in various incarnations, i have an original '73 pressing that was donated, ahem, by my dad, i also have a copy i bought, i have a later pressing too, picture disc, boxed version, orchestral version, i love vinyl, i have all of mike's albums up to TSODE, which, AFAIK, is the last original album on vinyl, Heavens Open was the hardest to find for me, but i very very rarely play the records, i usually stick to cd's, but once in a while, the cracle and pop of static takes me back to when i first got into Mikes music, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh memories!   :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 11:38

I thought that Heaven's open Lp was quite easy to find (I bought it a few years ago, and it's still on e-bay I think). The only ones I had to search a long time for was the Lp of TBII and Distant Earth. But I'm glad I have them now...
I've heard that Ommadawn is released again on vinyl, in a beautiful version by SimplyVinyl.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 14:06

Quote (TanGram @ Oct. 03 2005, 20:11)
I have 'Boxed' on vinyl too, but I was never that keen on that version of TB1, particularly the buzzing plane at the end. An early example of Mike messing with gadgets (quad surround in this case) and failing to do anything good with them

If your copy of Boxed has the spinning plane, you have something quite valuable, as it wasn't included on the normal editions. The ending of the Boxed Tubular Bells is usually the drunken Sailor's Hornpipe which I think everyone already knows...

The only place I've ever come across the plane is on the end of the original quad 'mix' of Tubular Bells. To be honest, I think the plane is probably the best bit, as it's at least a genuine quadraphonic recording!
The rest, for those who don't know that version of the album, is basically faked quad - they took the stereo mix and reprocessed it, with varying degrees of success (often it's as simple as feeding the whole thing through a quad panpot and panning it around - not very musical). The reason was basically that there was a perceived demand for a quad edition, but attempts to remix it proved too difficult. I don't think Mike had a lot to do with it. He certainly wasn't very pleased with the result.
It wasn't until 1975, when The Manor was updated to a quadraphonic facility, with basic automation on the desk, that a proper remix became possible - that's what's included on Boxed, and indeed the SACD.

The original experimental reprocessed quad edition has never been available on CD, so it's quite appropriate for this vinyl topic really. Just one question though - on the back, it recommends storing it in four dry places. Does this mean I can count owning it as having four copies? ;)
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 16:33

mentioning the plane sound made me think i might have it somewhere, im sure that one version i have you can hear laughing and a plane noise at the end, i seem to think its on the picture disc version, but i dont honestly know, and to comment on the Ommadawn re-ralease, i have that, i have never opend it but am tempted!  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 18:52

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 11 2005, 19:06)
[
If your copy of Boxed has the spinning plane, you have something quite valuable, as it wasn't included on the normal editions. The ending of the Boxed Tubular Bells is usually the drunken Sailor's Hornpipe which I think everyone already knows...

Please forgive my ignorance :O , but does the Quad Mix of Boxed have a different code to the Sailors Hornpipe version .  I've the Sailors Hornpipe version with VBOX1  as the code, so  I'm wondering if there's any way of telling them apart other than playing the LP   ;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
26 replies since Sep. 30 2005, 08:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net