Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you expect anything more in the future?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 29 2002, 16:13

I started thinking some way among the 90's that maybe the time had come for Mike to say goodbye to music, due to the lot of masterpieces he had already done. So I thought it was gonna come a day when I couldn't feel any more interest about any new work from his because maybe it was all said yet. So, after the great three records between '98 and '99 he has really stopped, and I rode he said maybe it was the end of music for him. I think that decision is, at least, honest, and I would like to know if he keeps on thinking like that. I would love to know the opinion of you all about this matter, and any thought or information related with it. Cheers! wink

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2002, 17:41

Well to be honest i dont want him to finish. If Mike Oldfield want to do somthing new you can be sure that he will work on it till it will be a master piece. So i dont want him to stop. He's music keeps me alive sometime.
I really want something new. And he will bring us somthing new in the close futere i hope...

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2002, 17:42

Well to be honest i dont want him to finish. If Mike Oldfield want to do somthing new you can be sure that he will work on it till it will be a master piece. So i dont want him to stop. He's music keeps me alive sometime.
I really want something new. And he will bring us somthing new in the close futere i hope...

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2002, 04:00

I also don't want him to stop making music. I am very excited about the new album [i]Tres Lunas[i], the other one, and the remake of Tubular Bells. I hope he keeps going for a while, because I think he has lots of good music still to do.
Also, if an artist has done a lot of masterpieces, wouldn't that mean that he might do more?

Visit www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2002, 08:29

I believe that Mike's best Album is yet to be created! Mike's been through many expereinces that are shaping his music and he needs to get to the place of complete freedom where he can create that masterpiece!

Many on this forum seem to feel Mike's lost it. I do not hold that opinion, I feel he's just 'finding it'! I hope he will continue making music until he joins the great heavenly orchestra!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2002, 13:26

I still believe Mike has so much to offer,because on the Elements video he said he felt he was just starting,and all the music he had made had not taught him anything,only things to avoid,and that was just under 10 years ago,and he has made less album's since then,than before then,and he also has said that he is not trying to be the best these days,and only make music for himself,so,it stands to reason,that what he is doing today would be very different and take a bit longer than in days gone by,it is the same with most artists really,they can't keep doing the same old thing,because it gets boring,and it's not a challenge anymore.
Take Mark Knopfler for example,he made a decision to end Dire Straits and be a solo artist,because he needed to do somthing different.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2002, 16:01

I also believe that MO's best album is yet to appear. His last great album was TSODE and I believe he has been treading water since then... eek T4 waits for the barrage of abuse!

However, I am optimistic that his latest project will be his best (excluding TB re-recording). I also feel that MO's future success lies in soundtracks, whether it be big budget films or natural history documentaries. What do the rest of you think??

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 10:12

I agree,i think Mike should do some more soundtrack work,maybe small idependent films,a la Knopfler,Mike would be perfect for it.I just wonder what kind of reaction Mike is going to get from redoing TB1!!!!.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 13:43

Apart form the fact that the TB1 re-recording will be covering old ground, there are going to be comparisons made with the original recording (as there have been with any MO recording with the word BELL in the title!).

Put it this way, he won't score points for originality, but I figure there will be some fun for his fans and completists to hear how much technology has updated his sound and the effect that has on the overall ambience of the music - assuming, of course, he isn't going to use the original instrumentation, mixing desk and production techniques!!

I like the idea of Mike composing music for independent films and equally feel his music would befit some of these lavish wildlife documentaries or *Discovery* channel style series that are prevalent at the moment.

*Excuse the pun

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 04 2002, 16:39

Lets face it, music is in his blood. After all these years, he won't stop now. As he has said, he has music in his head 24/7, and the only way for him to get it out is to write and record it! He was not only blessed with a prodigious, incredible talent but a prolific one too. He's signed a new 3 album deal, with Tres Lunas being one - presumably the new Tubular Bells will be another, but did he not say that Tres Lunas will be the first in three soundtracks to the Music VR project? If so, this means 4 albums in the works...if anything, the man is speeding up, not slowing down - and just the way it should be IMHO biggrin

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 04 2002, 20:36

I think that wildlife documentaries are more Terry Oldfield territory...

Mike speeding up is no bad thing, of course, but if I were him, I'd want to be watching out that I wasn't swinging towards quantity rather than quality. But then, I'm not him wink
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 05 2002, 08:22

i think mike will make music another 40 years... biggrin

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 05 2002, 20:09

I wouldn't like to see Mike going mainly into Film or documentary scores as I love his music as foreground and not background or support music. MVR is different - the music is not there as a background piece but is equally in the foreground as the visuals.

I hardly listen to the Killing Fields these days unless it's whilst i'm watching the movie.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
12 replies since Jan. 29 2002, 16:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net