Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do we need a Maestro Guide?, (and can we do it?)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 03:07

I've raised this before, but now that there's talk of a revival of mikeoldfield.com, maybe it's worth raising again.

We have a comprehensive Tr3sLunas Guide here on Tubular.net, and it seems possible that we might get a direct link to that from a revamped mikeoldfield.com. That in itself may spark off some renewed interest in MVR (given also that the games are now free, so anyone can have a go if they have the inclination to try).

So the question is - should we attempt to build a Maestro Guide here on Tubular.net? I'd be willing to organise it (subject to the Admins' approval) in the same way as with the TL Guide - but I couldn't do it alone.

I think in some ways it will be harder to sort out than it was for TL - it's a different kind of game, but I'm sure we could come up with something if we felt it was a good idea. But is it a good idea? Is it worth doing at all?
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 04:12

Im not sure what was on the Hacked Site Forum.. But if enough info was on there to compile a Complete walkthrough guide it might be worth asking if it can be retrieved...At the moment Maestro is a bit of a Mystery without any player feedback to work off so I guess its a good thing to have a updated guide for sure.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 06:55

I'd be more than willing to help out to.

The biggest issue is there are more "spoiler" type puzzles in Maestro, where a walkthrough may not be want a player wants.

But basically a guide shouldn't be difficult. A thread for each medal. A guide to the larger areas and exploits in the game.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 14:16

In the spanish fanzine Orabidoo, was published a very interesting guide for Maestro. Maybe this can be translated to english if the author agrees.

Those who can manage spanish can read it here:
http://www.lacoctelera.com/mikeold....maestro
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 15:10

I'd be willing to help, Alan.  I haven't played in a l o n g time but I have a stack of scribblings that describe many of the links, so I could resurrect my failing memory at a push.  As you know very well, Maestro is anything but linear with several ways of achieving the same thing, so the structure of the guide would need some careful thought beforehand.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 16:43

Quote (The Thin Man @ Jan. 23 2008, 20:10)
Maestro is anything but linear with several ways of achieving the same thing, so the structure of the guide would need some careful thought beforehand.

Yes, my thoughts exactly Colin. Some aspects would be straightforward, but others not so. If we get enough interest (and it's looking promising I think), we'll need to compare ideas and come up with at least a rough overall plan before we start.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2008, 05:39

Quote (Spinne @ Jan. 23 2008, 20:16)
In the spanish fanzine Orabidoo, was published a very interesting guide for Maestro. Maybe this can be translated to english if the author agrees.
Those who can manage spanish can read it here:
http://www.lacoctelera.com/mikeold....maestro

It looks like the links to the Maestro documents on that page are not working any more (404)?
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2008, 17:06

A few thoughts about the structure (mostly based on what I learned from the TL Guide):

1. The structure from the user's point of view has to be clear and easy to use. One of the things I was keen to maintain at all costs of the TL Guide was for the index page to be ONLY a single page. Basically that meant restricting the number of threads to 20. That restriction alone forced some careful thinking about the structure as a kind of built-in discipline. Let the index page spill over into a second page, and we lose that and end up with something that straggles everywhere.

2. That means, for instance, that we need to give some thought to what the key threads will be. Some spring immediately to mind as possibilities:
a) Temporary discussion thread (that was essential for the TL guide)
b) FAQ
c) A map
d) Completing the gravitar (Maestro) quest
e) Completing the 24-medal quest
f) A guide to each of the 'worlds' (including how to get into them).
g) The 'books' and where to find them
h) The avatars and where to find them
i) The light switches and what they do
etc
(Please suggest more! )

What this means, I think, is that Andy's suggestion of a thread for each medal wouldn't work - straight away we'd have far too many index threads and the structure would disintegrate. Anyway - please add comments, thoughts, suggestions here - hack away at the above - anything.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2008, 04:50

Hello, I'm still alive  :p

Of course, I would like to participate in the guide, though I'm having some problems to find time for everything.

Thinking quickly, and getting ideas from the TL guide, should we include a "Little extras" section, or you think they could fit in the guides to each world? Also, what about the "Unsolved mysteries" section?

I'll think about more things as soon as I get the time machine working...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2008, 07:16

Quote (Trinidad @ Jan. 31 2008, 09:50)
Hello, I'm still alive

Hello Trinidad. Glad to hear it.

Of course, I would like to participate in the guide, though I'm having some problems to find time for everything.

There's no need to feel under pressure. There's no rush, and we can take it as slowly as we need/want to. I won't be able to spend as much time on it myself as I did with the TL guide.

Thinking quickly, and getting ideas from the TL guide, should we include a "Little extras" section, or you think they could fit in the guides to each world? Also, what about the "Unsolved mysteries" section?

I think we probably will need sections like that, but it's worth trying to see if we can fit them into existing threads in the first instance. I think we'll also need a thread about 'getting through barriers', but unlike TL, there's relatively little scope for that in Maestro and I think a single thread would do the job.

Seems to me we've probably got enough offers of help for it to be sensible to make a start. I'll talk to Olivier about the possibility of setting it up.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2008, 12:06

Just an update to say that Olivier's very happy for us to do this, and is going to set up the framework we need. Watch this space.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2008, 02:50

Thank goodness. I installed the game, played for about ten minutes, and was completely clueless. Looking forward to 'The Guide'.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2008, 03:18

Quote (Sweetpea @ Feb. 07 2008, 07:50)
Thank goodness. I installed the game, played for about ten minutes, and was completely clueless. Looking forward to 'The Guide'.

A small start has been made already here.

I'll be interested to hear how you find the game. For myself, I far prefer Tr3sLunas. Partly because it has a lot more music (Maestro is curiously silent much of the time); partly because the Tr3sLunas world is just so intriguing and beautiful, and there's always a whiff of fresh air and sparkling light; and partly because it's proved to be almost endlessly explorable (admittedly through exploiting programming bugs). Maestro is a much more 'closed' game - and indeed can often feel claustrophobic.

That said, there are some wonderful places to go and sights to see in Maestro.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2008, 04:29

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 07 2008, 03:18)
Maestro is curiously silent much of the time

See? Already, you've been helpful. I was wondering if I'd broken the game.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 07 2008, 08:01

I find Maestro much less accessible than Tr3sLunas. It would be very useful to have some sort of "try doing this for starters" section to a guide where there can be an activity which maybe takes 5 minutes max and includes one or two interesting destinations - ones with music! When I've been showing people Tr3sLunas it is easy to do something like this (for instance, try going over there to the right and fly into that ring above the figures head). Obviously this involves spoiling *one* item that is there to be discovered but that I think would be worth it for the benefit of letting people not be put off so quickly by the lack of things happening.

The only downside of doing such an introduction is that maybe it would be missing the point of Maestro? Is Maestro not about finding and visiting interesting places in the same way as Tr3sLunas?

Thanks in adance by the way all you hard working folks, particularly Alan, who are working up this guide information on Maestro. It is very much appreciated (as was the TresLunas guide). I do hope they manage to get links from mo.com to your guides as has been suggested...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2008, 09:14

Quote (Matt @ Feb. 07 2008, 13:01)
It would be very useful to have some sort of "try doing this for starters" section to a guide where there can be an activity which maybe takes 5 minutes max and includes one or two interesting destinations - ones with music!

That's an interesting idea, Matt. A selection of 'What can I do in Maestro if I only had 15 minutes?' trips. No reason why we can't do something like that, once we have a definitive map to refer to.

It's going to be a while before the Maestro Guide will be fully functional - it'll have to be built up a bit at a time. However, the temporary map that's already posted here should be helpful to resolve just a little of that initial bewilderment.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 23:15

Just downloaded both and find Tr3s Lunas more enjoyable so far.  A bit lost in Maestro - seem to fly down endless silent corridors and run into lots of dead ends.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2008, 03:22

Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 19 2008, 04:15)
A bit lost in Maestro - seem to fly down endless silent corridors and run into lots of dead ends.

Use the map - I just fixed the bad link in my previous post, so it works now.
Profile PM 
17 replies since Jan. 23 2008, 03:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net