Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Distorted Gutiars< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SandAbyss Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2000, 18:10

I'm very curious to know what sort of equipment Mike Plays through to get that distored guitar sound on Hergest Ridge, "Out of Mind" on Guitars, and on the Millenium Bell. If anyone does know, I'd be very appreciative if they could post a reply.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 30 2000, 19:35

Mike's used loads of different things to get his guitar sound over the years.

I know that in the 70s the guitar used to go through a chain of all sorts of things, including a battery powered guitar amp, the overloaded input of his teac tape recorder and several equalisers before going either through an amp or direct into the desk, depending on what sound he was after.

Sometimes live he's used a Mesa Boogie combo with an extra distortion pedal going into the input. The sound on Exposed, for example, was probably got by doing this.

Both of those two used noise gates as well, to cut out all the unwanted noises.

He's been using a Roland GP-8 for the past 10 years or so. He only uses one patch from that for all his distorted sounds. More recently, he's also been using the Roland VG-8 system, which may be where the 'Out of Mind' comes from.
Profile PM 
SandAbyss Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 01 2000, 15:57

Thanks! that helps a lot!
Profile PM 
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 12 2000, 15:29

has anybody acctually set up Mikes rig (into vox mini amp then teak sterio recorder ect)
as mentioned above?
Profile PM 
3 replies since May 27 2000, 18:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net