Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Disposable Temporary Discussion Thread, WARNING! SPOILER ALERT!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 17:47

I've started an 'Exploring Worlds' thread, but it would be an enormous job to tackle one entire world like Terrain all at one go, so I thought it might be best to break it up into several posts. It would probably be less confusing if we just focus on 'Exploring Terrain' for the moment so that all the 'Terrain' posts are together. When we think we've covered everything, we can start on another world.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 17:11

Just a note: I recently tried and actually managed to lock to the Pterodactyl at the labyrinth in terrain, and got carried around.
The point about getting locked is that you are dragged to the ground at the labyrinth, and the dactyl is flying above. So, the only chance to get a lock is to hit it while coming in and moving down from the outside.
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 18:15

Thanks Andreas - I've added your note to the 'flying with dinosaurs' post.

I'll see if I can do it myself, now!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 18:51

Can anyone think of anything else to add to the 'Exploring Terrain' section?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 17:12

I'm going to be offline for about a week, so if anyone uploads any images to the Maestro Guide gallery and wonders why they're not being promptly moderated, that will be the explanation - with apols.
Profile PM 
14al Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 09:04

When I played Maestro this guide helped me a lot, especially the map made it a lot easier to navigate through spaceship.

http://www.geocities.com/ruizbertol/maestro_guide.html
It's in spanish and english, maybe you can use some of it.

Cheers
Ron
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 13:14

Trying to add links to illustrations in Colin's Gravitar thread, I've encountered all sorts of awkward bugs in the system, whereby whole chunks of code suddenly disappear, taking a heap of text with them.

I've managed to rewrite some of the lost material, and get some image links to stick, but it's taken ages to sort out. Bit of a shambles really, and I'm quite puzzled what to do from here....
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 15:22

Well, this beats me. If I try to add a link to an illustration for 'holding out his empty hat' in the post below, when I post it (or even try to preview it) a great mass of text disappears (all the stuff in bold, below). I've already spent hours going round in circles with this - has this ever happened to anyone else?

First Gravitar

If you search around you will see a small figure of a Blind Man walking about.  It does not seem possible to interact with him, however, if you go to the spacelift in the centre of the world you will find another medal on the platform (it is only there when you enter this world with eight medals). Take the medal and return to the Blind Man, who will now be holding out his empty hat behind him. Fire at the hat and give him all your medals. You'll now hear a sound, and will see that three gravitars have appeared near the exit tube, and two domes can be seen some distance away, each with a medal on top which you can take if you wish.

Pick up a gravitar and
take it to the spacelift. You will now be taken on a fantastic ride.  If you have taken the two medals that are floating above the domes before you put the gravitar in the spacelift you will hear an excerpt from Mont St Michel, otherwise part of Peace.  The  spacelift will ascend through a vertical tube and eventually emerge high in the sky close to a very large medal lying on its side.  As you approach you will see that the medal contains the spaceship itself in all its glory.  It’s worth moving around the ship to examine all the rooms and tunnels from the outside.  When you are ready, bring the gravitar in to the rear of the ship (the part closer to you when you originally approached) and look out for a flat deck supporting two arches parallel to each other.  There is also a small bandstand nearby that appears to be the source of the music.

Another clue, found on step 32 of the spiral staircase in the main hall of the spaceship, tells you to position the gravitar between the two arches.  Manoeuvre the gravitar between the arches and a sequence will begin where another spaceship approaches from the distance and eventually docks with the ship you are on.  When this has happened you are free to take the gravitar all over the completed ship and examine every part of it.

Now what?  There does not seem to be a way back inside the ship, but, again, a clue book comes to the rescue.  Inside the Library (the entrance is immediately next to the tube that leads to the Crab) there is a book that says you can enter the ship through the topmost point.  So take the gravitar to the pinnacle of the spaceship and enter through the globe that you will find there.

Proceed all the way down the spire and down the staircase, and finally place the gravitar inside the pen on step three.

Note: to avoid most of the ride described above, take the gravitar to the right hand dome in Blind Man’s World and fire at it.  You will materialise outside the spaceship at the list of 24 medals (see notes on Fourth Gravitar below), where you can then re-enter as described above.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 17:14

Usually when I have code/text disappearing on me, it's due to my not including the proper closing tags - for example, opening with a bold tag but closing with an italics tag. Or, in the case of links, not including all of the URL.

I don't know your "empty hat" URL so I used a random image for this:

First Gravitar

If you search around you will see a small figure of a Blind Man walking about.  It does not seem possible to interact with him, however, if you go to the spacelift in the centre of the world you will find another medal on the platform (it is only there when you enter this world with eight medals). Take the medal and return to the Blind Man, who will now be holding out his empty hat behind him. Fire at the hat and give him all your medals. You'll now hear a sound, and will see that three gravitars have appeared near the exit tube, and two domes can be seen some distance away, each with a medal on top which you can take if you wish.

Pick up a gravitar and take it to the spacelift. You will now be taken on a fantastic ride.  If you have taken the two medals that are floating above the domes before you put the gravitar in the spacelift you will hear an excerpt from Mont St Michel, otherwise part of Peace.  The spacelift will ascend through a vertical tube and eventually emerge high in the sky close to a very large medal lying on its side.  As you approach you will see that the medal contains the spaceship itself in all its glory.  It’s worth moving around the ship to examine all the rooms and tunnels from the outside.  When you are ready, bring the gravitar in to the rear of the ship (the part closer to you when you originally approached) and look out for a flat deck supporting two arches parallel to each other.  There is also a small bandstand nearby that appears to be the source of the music.

Another clue, found on step 32 of the spiral staircase in the main hall of the spaceship, tells you to position the gravitar between the two arches.  Manoeuvre the gravitar between the arches and a sequence will begin where another spaceship approaches from the distance and eventually docks with the ship you are on.  When this has happened you are free to take the gravitar all over the completed ship and examine every part of it.

Now what?  There does not seem to be a way back inside the ship, but, again, a clue book comes to the rescue.  Inside the Library (the entrance is immediately next to the tube that leads to the Crab) there is a book that says you can enter the ship through the topmost point.  So take the gravitar to the pinnacle of the spaceship and enter through the globe that you will find there.

Proceed all the way down the spire and down the staircase, and finally place the gravitar inside the pen on step three.

Note: to avoid most of the ride described above, take the gravitar to the right hand dome in Blind Man’s World and fire at it.  You will materialise outside the spaceship at the list of 24 medals (see notes on Fourth Gravitar below), where you can then re-enter as described above.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 17:15

This was the coding I used:

Code Sample
[b]First Gravitar[/b]

If you search around you will see a small figure of a Blind Man walking about.  It does not seem possible to interact with him, however, if you go to the spacelift in the centre of the world you will find [url=http://tubular.net/forums/uploads/post-83-02746-medal_9_on_spacelift_4.jpg]another medal on the platform[/url] (it is only there when you enter this world with eight medals). Take the medal and return to the Blind Man, who will now be [url=http://www.terragalleria.com/images/italy/ital7093.jpeg]holding out his empty hat[/url] behind him. Fire at the hat and give him all your medals. You'll now hear a sound, and will see that three gravitars have appeared near the exit tube, and two domes can be seen some distance away, each with a medal on top which you can take if you wish.

Pick up a gravitar and [url=http://tubular.net/forums/uploads/post-83-08513-grav_near_spacelift__resized_.jpg]take it to the spacelift[/url]. You will now be taken on a fantastic ride.  If you have taken the two medals that are floating above the domes before you put the gravitar in the spacelift you will hear an excerpt from Mont St Michel, otherwise part of Peace.  The [url=http://tubular.net/forums/uploads/post-83-08631-grav_lift.jpg]spacelift will ascend through a vertical tube[/url] and eventually emerge high in the sky close to [url=http://tubular.net/forums/uploads/post-83-08722-big_medal.jpg]a very large medal lying on its side[/url].  As you approach you will see that the medal contains the spaceship itself in all its glory.  It’s worth moving around the ship to examine all the rooms and tunnels from the outside.  When you are ready, bring the gravitar in to the rear of the ship (the part closer to you when you originally approached) and look out for a flat deck supporting two arches parallel to each other.  There is also a small bandstand nearby that appears to be the source of the music.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 03:54

Thanks for this, Sweetpea. What you say makes eminent sense, but now read on.

I took my original piece of code, removed the url of the 'hat' picture, and replaced it with yours. It worked perfectly. Aha! So I put back the url of the 'hat' picture (http://tubular.net/forums/uploads/post-83-02873-blind_man_waitingresized_.jpg) - and a whole chunk of text disappeared as before!

I'm completely defeated by this. What on earth can I do? Hours of my life are slipping by, completely wasted in frustration! I think there's a gremlin in the software, trying to get me!

OMG! It's happening again, now, in THIS post! I tried to include both hat picture urls and a whole chunk of text has gone out of the middle of this post! Oh enough, enough. This is driving me crazy!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 04:37

Right - I now have a theory. Some of the images Colin gave me had brackets in the file name, and I noticed that this had a strange effect on the url generated by the message board when they were uploaded. So I've renamed all of those files, deleted all the images I'd posted yesterday, uploaded a new set, and started recoding the posts in the gravitar thread. So far, everything seems to be working OK, so I think I may be right about the problem with the file names, even though I have no idea why.

There's still an awful lot to do, but I'm now going to crawl away into a hole and hide for a while to recover my equilibrium.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 22 2008, 06:06

I think I'm right about the problem of having brackets in image file names (and I vaguely remember encountering the problem and discussing it with Olivier when we did the Tr3s Lunas Guide).

Anyway, I've now redone all the stuff I'd attempted to do before it all went wrong, and there are now quite a lot of image links in The Thin Man's gravitar quest thread (though they won't show up as 'new posts' because they're being added to existing posts).
Still a lot more to come.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 05:51

I've added more links to illustrations in the Gravitar Quest thread, here. Still a lot more to do.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 15:08

Wow, that was a big job. I've now worked all the way through the Maestro Quest thread putting in links to illustrations - see here. If anyone thinks I've missed something that could usefully be illustrated, let me know.
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: April 29 2008, 14:18

Excellent work Alan!  Many thanks for all the links.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 02 2008, 14:05

Well, you did all the REALLY hard work, Colin. Thank you.
Thanks also to Andreas for adding a nice screenshot to complete the illustrations for the thread  - I've now added a link to it ('a jubilant message' ), see here: scroll down to the Maestro World post.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2008, 17:55

Information about avatars, added by MVR Superstar, that needs to be included in the guide:

Two flying carpet avatars under the hands of the big silver statue in bird cavern. (If you go to the bird cavern through the short cut in the tube room with the castle miniature in it you cant see the carpets.)

(In daylight) 2 *remote control planes* on the steps.
(They're like avatars but instead of following around after them you stay in the same place when driving. This also means you can do loop de loops with these, which you cant usually do with Music vr)

Broom avatar in the castle (after you've lit all the candles, above the tower with the clock)

Humming bird avatar on the piano in the castle

Ship avatar in Balloon World which allows you to throw anchors. It is lying on its side not far from where the metal statue is.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2008, 21:50

"Avatars" continued -

in "red" light, there are the shell and a silver hanglider to be found on the steps.

But, here you will find the "cometar" garage, designed to allow a maximum of on-line players. In the center tube dome, follow the black and white tube (insert image link here). There are many standard cometars here, little space ships that are easy to control and allow on-line users to see each other. But - there are also 6 "red" cometars with added flight parameters for the more advanced user. These "bank" when turning and add a more difficult axis. They are at the corner of the room past the waiting ranks of normal cometars.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2008, 06:49

Andy, thanks for this noble effort, but the unfortunate news is ... we had those avatars already in the 'official' avatar thread.

I've now added to that list the avatars that MVR Superstar has reminded us about. I've added pictures for three of them, but I don't have pictures for the carpets or the remote control planes, so they'll need adding later.
Profile PM 
91 replies since Feb. 05 2008, 03:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net