Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Disposable Temporary Discussion Thread.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2006, 07:31

Quote (the_bulldog @ June 08 2006, 07:05)
I HAVE been picked up by this ant, but only at about 3 rings, near the Origin. Do you recall what you were doing/how you were doing it, to get picked up?

IIRC it's usually around at the origin, at least as long as you haven't been to Turtle Island, always following the same track around the cactus and the golden trees. My favourite position is slightly right of the cactus and about level with its top, facing the golden trees - then the blue ant should come close enough (watch its buzzing noise, it will be heading towards you from the right golden tree) to catch, or at least to adjust your position, after some 10 seconds. I'll try to get a screen shot to show that position tonight at home...

P.S.: considering its species - it's got the same body as the other ants, and at least queens and their mates do have wings and can fly for some time, so I quite early decided to call this blue bug 'flying ant' (or 'ant queen').
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 15 2006, 15:45

Quote (a_r_schulz @ June 15 2006, 12:31)
IIRC it's usually around at the origin, at least as long as you haven't been to Turtle Island, always following the same track around the cactus and the golden trees. My favourite position is slightly right of the cactus and about level with its top, facing the golden trees - then the blue ant should come close enough (watch its buzzing noise, it will be heading towards you from the right golden tree) to catch, or at least to adjust your position, after some 10 seconds. I'll try to get a screen shot to show that position tonight at home...

P.S.: considering its species - it's got the same body as the other ants, and at least queens and their mates do have wings and can fly for some time, so I quite early decided to call this blue bug 'flying ant' (or 'ant queen';).

Thanks for this Andreas. I've added this information to the FAQ section here, and I'll eventually add it to the 7 rings topic, when I can face the daunting task of editing that!
If you can post a picture as you said, I'll put a link to it.
Profile PM 
the_bulldog Offline

Posted: June 22 2006, 12:10

Regarding my latest followup in the Map thread, I have a qustion on the "Bone Trees" with projectiles, especially one. On the beach, just off of Stonehenge and near the Conch Shell, there is a Bone Tree early in the game (I think it disappears by about 3 rings +/-), that gives you clam shells to fire. Other than using these to hit early rings, has anyone found a specific use for the clam shells. I know that the Bone Tree atop the right Butte give you a butterfly to shoot at the two that circle near the Ring/Apple Tree to launch Butterfly World (of Butterfly Party), but what particular use is the clam shell? I've fired it at several objects/items with no noticable result, i.e. the sea turtle that moves around between the beach and Turtle/Tai Chi Island, different "statues," etc. but no noticable results.

Speaking of the sea turtle (not the one in the Turtle/Tai Chi Island lagoon), what needs to be fired to go to/back to Turtle/Tai Chi Island? I've read about that trip, and have tried several projectiles, but nothing has happened. Trinidad, Alan, anyone?

TIA,
Hunt
Profile PM 
the_bulldog Offline

Posted: June 22 2006, 12:17

Quote (a_r_schulz @ June 15 2006, 07:31)
Quote (the_bulldog @ June 08 2006, 07:05)
I HAVE been picked up by this ant, but only at about 3 rings, near the Origin. Do you recall what you were doing/how you were doing it, to get picked up?

P.S.: considering its species - it's got the same body as the other ants, and at least queens and their mates do have wings and can fly for some time, so I quite early decided to call this blue bug 'flying ant' (or 'ant queen';).

With the Flying Blue Ant (Ant Queen), if one has 0-2 rings, I think it will be there, just as it is when the game starts, BEFORE one touches the Origin (that IS the FBA, isn't it and NOT the Flying Saucer?). If one takes the Scorpion/Antlers ring, which will be available as ring 3 (considering terrestrial rings - don't remember if it is also ring 3 with game rings or a combination of terrestrial and game. Though one can take game and terrestrial rings to the Temple to "Make A Wish" and change the order, or reset the order of their rings), the flying object will be the Flying Saucer, which makes a similar path, but extends the path to much closer to Stonehenge and is likely to nab you, if you are not hugging the ground, with grave results usually. Most of my encounters with the FBA have come with 0-1 rings, and most often after doing some of the non-ring generating journeys, especially the Forest/Canyon.

Note: observations from memory without benefit of exact field notes.

Hunt
Profile PM 
the_bulldog Offline

Posted: June 22 2006, 12:41

Regarding the "path" of the BFA (Blue Flying Ant), the actual path that it takes seems to be from beyond the barrier behind the Tr3s Lunas sign, over the arch in front, past the Origin, but beyond it over the beach/Stonehenge. The area shown as the path IS the most likely spot to be picked up, but using the term "path" for that ellipsoid might be misleading, as it actually travels a much larger circuit. I'd suggest that something to the effect of "pickup area" might be more correct.

Just thinking,
Hunt
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 03:32

Hmmm. I don't have answers to any of these questions! Anyone else?
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 05:03

Well, I'm quite sure that the blue ant's path isn't much further away from the cactus and the golden trees than my edited picture shows - even though the actual shape is probably more like a triangle or rectangle, with moderately rounded corners (didn't count them...). You will definitely welcome the straight parts of the track when you try to shoot the ring from its back, for which you have to be very precisely in front of the ant...
As for the different projectiles from the bone trees (and the golden trees as well, not to forget), besides the butterfly I haven't found any special purpose either so far...
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 23 2006, 05:11

*delurks*

just want to say you folks are doing an utterly fantastic job with this. I thought I knew a fair bit of the layout and dark corners of MVR but you've proved me very wrong. Keep up the great work...

*lurks again*

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 06:55

About the bone trees, no idea about the utility (if any) of the porjectiles (except the butterflies), and I've also tried many combinations.

About the turtle, and talking from my memory, throwing things to it will only work when the ray has taken you to the beach (with the grassy land, and so on).

Thanks, Matt. If you know something new, tell us!!  ;)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 12:47

Quote (Trinidad @ June 23 2006, 11:55)
About the turtle, and talking from my memory, throwing things to it will only work when the ray has taken you to the beach

That's my experience too.
Profile PM 
the_bulldog Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 14:28

Quote (a_r_schulz @ June 23 2006, 05:03)
Well, I'm quite sure that the blue ant's path isn't much further away from the cactus and the golden trees than my edited picture shows - even though the actual shape is probably more like a triangle or rectangle, with moderately rounded corners (didn't count them...). You will definitely welcome the straight parts of the track when you try to shoot the ring from its back, for which you have to be very precisely in front of the ant...
As for the different projectiles from the bone trees (and the golden trees as well, not to forget), besides the butterfly I haven't found any special purpose either so far...

Andreas,

In the early part of the game (actually, probably easiest at start, but before touching the Origin [get "The Origin," and blue skies] go to the arch, just in front of the Tr3s Lunas sign and hover over it. Isn't that the BFA, that comes from behind the sign, over the arch, around the Origin, out to the beach, and back in an almost parallel circuit? I also think that the "Flying Saucer" travels about the same circuit at the Scorpion/Antlers Ring (usually #3). I'd guess that Colin just drew in a circuit and allowed two different characters to use it, depending on the state of the game. Maybe I'm wrong on this, and maybe it's the Flying Saucer that I ASSUMED was the BFA early on. In the beginning, because it's dark, it is difficult to see, but the sound is the same as the BFA, while the Flying Saucer is almost silent.

Hunt
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 24 2006, 07:07

No, at the beginning it's the flying saucer what does appear flying. For me, it sounds quite different to the blue ant, and almost the same as when getting the 3rd ring, though without music the sound seems higher (not sure).
Profile PM 
the_bulldog Offline

Posted: June 24 2006, 11:39

Quote (Trinidad @ June 24 2006, 07:07)
No, at the beginning it's the flying saucer what does appear flying. For me, it sounds quite different to the blue ant, and almost the same as when getting the 3rd ring, though without music the sound seems higher (not sure).

Trinidad,

You are correct (as usual). It IS the Flying Saucer that appears in the beginning, prior to touching the Origin. Because of the buzzing noise, I made a bad assumption, but a screen-cap proved you correct. This also invalidates all that I said, and thought, about the circuit of the BFA - sorry Andreas. Thanks for the correction. I guess that the music, after three rings, "the Spirit is proud of you... " drowns out the humming, buzzing of the Flying Saucer, so I did not recognize the sound as coming from it at the game's start.

Hunt
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2006, 05:46

The final Tr3s Lunas map is now up, in a new topic thread of its own in the 'Tr3s Lunas Screenshots' section of the Gallery. See here.

I've worked through all the posts in the Guide, replacing all existing links to the old map with links to the new one. I've now deleted the old map, and also deleted the temporary 'working' topics that we used while we were developing the map. So I hope this leaves things as clear and uncluttered as they can be, at this stage.

In the meantime, if anyone finds a link that doesn't work in the guide (not only those to the map), please let me know so I can fix it.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2006, 12:03

I've just been doing a bit of tidying up, and in the process I realised that with a little juggling, the topics could be reduced to 20 - so that the whole Guide would then fit nicely onto a single page. It seems to me that it's now very unlikely that we'll need to add any new topics - almost certainly any new things will fit into an existing topic. Unless we discover a new world, of course!

So ... looking around, it seemed most sensible to take Trinidad's Crazy Pause topic and Pegasus topic, and merge them together - partly because Trinidad's discussion is so thorough that I doubt there'll be much to add to either of them; and also because many of us won't be able to follow in Trinidad's footsteps in order to contribute anyway.

Trinidad, I hope you don't mind about this - I think it simplifies the overall structure helpfully, and I've kept all the details in - just merged the two topics together under a general title of Trinidad's Special Worlds.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2006, 10:54

In any way I could have a problem with that.
And now I have my own special worlds! It makes me feel important  :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2007, 16:03

Some time ago I wrote some illustrated stories inspired by Tr3sLunas, and posted them in the MusicVR Forum, and also on Tim Unwin's Oldfield.info site. These days the MVR Forum is much less frequented than it was then, and Tim's site no longer exists, so I thought I'd bring my stories out of the cupboard, blow the dust off them, and post them here at Tubular.net.

Because they were illustrated, they had to slot into the gallery section somewhere, and it seemed convenient (for me, that is) to associate them with the Tr3s Lunas Guide so that I had more freedom to fiddle around with them, as a moderator for those sections. That may not be the most logical place for them, but it seems to 'feel' right. Perhaps the stories are really just a linking exercise to give me an excuse for playing with the screenshots!

Anyway, I've added an index to them from the Tr3s Lunas Guide here (just scroll down to the bottom). Or they can be accessed directly from the 'Screenshots for Tr3s Lunas Guide' section of the gallery. Or they can be accessed here:

The Blue Moth Awakes
The Fire and the Rose
Rider Among the Stars
In Search of Daliphants
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 29 2007, 19:35

I've started a post to help people when they want to play Tr3s Lunas online, here at the end of the FAQ thread.

There's more to add (about things like routers) which I'll do when I have time. If you have any questions, or want to make suggestions (please do), could you do it here in this thread rather than the FAQ thread? Thanks.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 30 2007, 04:39

I've now added an online game trouble-shooting section - see the last post in this thread.

I'm not an expert on these technical matters. If something I've said isn't clear, please tell me, here in this thread. If you're an expert, please check it through and if I've made a mistake somewhere, please tell me.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 30 2007, 05:40

Two noob questions that are probably too dumb to ask anywhere else:

- What are the avatars for? I can't seem to find a use for them, other than flying faster.
- Does it actually make a difference what projectiles you shoot?

(Couldn't find the answers after looking around this forum a bit.)
Profile PM 
102 replies since April 30 2006, 09:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net