Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Dire Straits< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 19:01

It's undeniable that Mike has been influenced by Mark Knopfler in the 80's by the way of playing guitar. 'Discovery' and 'Crises' are the clearest examples of this.

On the first records Mike used mostly a Gibson but then on Crises he introduces the predominancy of the Fender Stratocaster, the model of many other great guitarists as Mark Knopfler or Eric Clapton.

On some of Mike's works during 1983,1984 years you can find some songs that include a Fendery crisp, clean guitar sound that reminds Mark's. Specially songs as 'Crime of Passion', 'Moonlight Shadow', 'Tricks of the Light', 'Jungle Gardenia' or 'The Lake' show it plainly.

I think it's so normal, natural and good the fact that some artists can influence others. And these two huge guitarists are similar in so many ways, as they both like so much Celtic music, they both are better guitarists than vocalists, and have a very dynamic and personal way of understanding guitar playing and song writing.

Opinions are welcome wink

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 19:22

Dire Straits rule! "Telegraph Road", "Tunnel of Love", "Romeo and Juliet", "Money for Nothing", "Sultans of Swing", and the wit of "Industrial Disease", among others, are great tracks!

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 20:05

I agree with Tim about DS. I'm a fan. smile

Delfín ---> if you listen carefully to the Whirlpools section (Amarok Player tracklist smile, i.e. around 7'45'') of The Lake, you'll hear Mike playing something similar to Knopfler's Local Hero theme, released one year before. You're certainly right that Knopfler is a big influence!!! wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 20:42

Perhaps some of the similarity is down to the fact that both players pick with their fingers instead of a plectrum for most of the time...

But to me Mike's sound is just much more glassy and almost electronic, while Knopfler's is much more organic. Even when Knopfler is playing 'clean' (say on Sultans of Swing for example), there is still some distortion there...

I would personally say that the similarity in sound comes from a common influence - that of Hank Marvin of The Shadows.

I would myself say that any similarity between that part of The Lake is very, very debatable...but perhaps it's just better we agree to disagree here wink

Talking of wit in DS songs, one of my favourites for that is 'My parties'...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2001, 18:23

Yeah, Ugo! That's the part from 'The Lake' I was thinking of when I mentioned that track... and I love that part!!

Maybe it's not so similar as 'Local Hero', but no doubt it comes from Mark's inspiration.

And I agree with Korgscrew about the common root represented by the great Marvin. Anyway, I think that the playing style of Mark on 1978-1982 influences Mike's 1983-1984 period.

Delfín.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2001, 12:46

Oops! I did it again, Ugo... I thought you were talking about the part just before, but IT'S TRUE!! the one you mean looks so closely like local hero...!

Again an Italian genius... tongue

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 17 2001, 15:37

From their 1st album release, I've been a hardcore Dire Straits fan. They showed me an alternative to hard rock. There was a new thing: I could play (simple reproductions of) their songs on the acoustic guitar! Then I bought a Fender Strat and tried to play some solos. Hard work! But it was good material for learning. Taught me how to put feeling into the solo, not just banging away as aggressively as possible. And when Moonlight Shadow came out, I understood at once what Mike was doing on the guitar. Because of the Dire Straits training!
Another great DS song is IMO: Planet Of New Orleans.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2001, 06:29

I always thought that there was a lot of two-way stuff between Mark Knopfler and Mike.

When I first heard the theme from Local Hero (in a coffee advert, I think it was) I thought that it was Mike. And Private Investigations (my own favourite DS track)is practically an instrumental which uses a style fairly similar to Mike's.

Both artists have gone more their own way lately, with Mike going a little less commercial and Mark going more country.

As for the Shadows, I think that there was a definite Fender Strat through a Vox AC30 amp sound (popularised by The Shadows, but used by many guitarists in the 1960s) on The Lake and on Mastermind.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2001, 06:16

All right, we're almost all fan of DS and MK. wink I'm very pleased of this ! Right now i'm drawing personnal sleeve for DS or MK bootleg, and i'll be in Nîmes June 28 for the Sailing to Philadelphia tour. Happy !

But even if I'm a huge fan of Mike and Mark, I can't compare the way they play guitar. Mark and Mike have their very own style, and i don't see any influence, except the way they hit strings (finger), and sometimes they both play some flat-picking tricks.

Yes, sometime, the same notes may appears... but i don't think this is really an influence. All is IMHO of course wink

Though I perfectly agree on some idea of this topic (long instrumanental, the shadows, celting things, finger picking...)

BTW, what about Mark inspired by JJ Cale ? Well if you like old stuff from DS, you must LOVE JJ Cale !

Cheers to all Mark and Mike Fans !
GMOVJ
Man in the Rain with a Golden Heart in a tubular spanish cities near the Telegraph Road etc etc etc.. wink hey, will marko make a picture of Mike and Mark, like he did with JMJ ?

PS : to all DS fan, try Golden Heart and Sailing to Philadelphia. It's great !

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2001, 15:23

GMOVJ: I think you're perfectly right with the JJ Cale influence on DS.
Well, Cale's style is IMO in no way similar to MO. Cale is much more 'American'... But I discovered 2 similarities (not meaning influences):
1) There are JJ Cale albums where almost every song has been recorded at a different place, with different musicians. Mike likes do to this, too.
2) There is a song 'Mama Don't', where one instrument after another is being announced before it joins in. The first line is 'Mama don't allow no guitar players in here', and so on...

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2001, 04:10

Great Carsten !
Haha ! "Mama don't" rule ! It's so powerful ! This is a perfect country-rock song ! As JJCale is so 'american', i didn't notice the comparison between it and the bell, but you pointed right.

To DS Fans, i'm sure you know JJCale. If you don't, try it, you'll certainly notice who influence MK on his early years !

Cheers, GMOVJ
"Mama don't allow us playing all in same time..."

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2001, 15:19

GMVOJ: Are you the 1 of the peak tures???

GOOOD WORK!!!

Why dont´t you try something related to 5MO cover?? It would B. grate!!! (just a ny dea)

How beautiful listening you all talking about beautiful things as 'Private Investigations' and things like that...

But for me...there's a masterpiece of rock...

'Telegraph Road'

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 03:31

Hi all
Delfin, I'm sorry, but i don't understand your question. I'm a bit confused

What picture are you talking about ?

Cheers
GMOVJ
Ps : Telegraph Road... about 15min of pure pleasure wink

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 15:29

Off-topic, but replying to Delfín: the pictures master is Hans Claesson...and he has already created something on the FMO cover. Check out his page...the link is in the Wallpapers section.
smile wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2001, 01:35

Off topic reply :
For Hans'graphic with the 'Didjeribell', I just suggested it to Hans, like Carsten suggested the 'Mercedes Bell'. Hans did it.
BtW, Marko is another artist member of the Kebawe tribe. And he rocks ! wink Go and see the 'Absurde' site, on Kebawe !
Agur
GMOVJ

PS : the only pictures I'm able to do are tubular.multimania.com/download/_POCHETTES/ . And they are poor... Now we stop on this pictures things, except for Delfin own reply to my question. Cheers wink

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2001, 07:31

O.K., GMOVJ...:

It was a...

Mistake biggrin

Under the weather...one shower's gonna get into another tongue

smile smile

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: July 06 2001, 10:57

Hargablblblblb !

I went to Mark Knopfler concert 28/06/01 in Nimes. IT WAS GRRRRRRRREAT !
But Mark made mistakes in playing, so he is human after all...
The Nimes Set List :
CALLING ELVIS
WALK OF LIFE
WHAT IT IS
ROMEO & JULIET
SULTANS OF SWING
DONE WITH BONAPARTE
SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA
PRAIRIE WEDDING
JUNKIE DOLL
PYROMAN
SPEEDWAY AT NAZARETH
TELEGRAPH ROAD
--------------
BROTHERS IN ARMS
MONEY FOR NOTHING
--------------
SO FAR AWAY
WILD THEME

Argblblbl !

Sorry, this was an unrelated MO post, but i'm so happy of seeing Mark again biggrin

Cheers
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: July 13 2001, 16:24

Yeh, boy!!! I was ther on Madrid!!!

Did you notice the incredible slow-country beginning of 'Money for Nothing'??

I was glad mainly because it wasn´t so Mark-centred as expected. The attention got divided between all the good musicians. And because they played two of my favourites: 'Telegraph Road' and 'So Far Away'!!!

Don't worry, GMOVJ. After all, this post is about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. smile

Delfín>

--------------
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 14 2001, 01:55

The tour doesn't come to Perth.

This makes me sad. frown

Especially when looking at the setlist GMOVJ put up, and when reading the comments by GMOVJ and Delfin. (Sounds like a good tour, at least it managed to pass by some of the people here)

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: July 16 2001, 03:02

Hi all !
I've heard that Madrid was a great show ! But in his diary Guy Fletcher said there was so much people that they couldn't record because audience microphone were saturated ! wink
And yes, it was Mark and the Band, not only Mark. I liked so much when they all play on this small piece of stage, very close to each other on "Done With Bonaparte"...
And this 'slide duel' on MFN was huge in Nimes too ! It was so great, I was just in front of MK National smile And 'Wild Theme' was very very very very moving, with Mark and Guy... you could touch friendship...

Eveytime, they really seem to have fun playing together, and audience is here to take part to the band pleasure... I think MK and the band want to make smaller show than with DS... but more 'user-friendly' (i'm sorry for this word, i don't know english word for 'convivial'...)

And I know now why Mark made some mistake : he suffer from repetitive strain injury..."too many Sultans', too many Telegraph Road's, too many Speedway's" (-MK 5/7/01)

Tim, I'm sincerly sorry that Mark will not go to Australia this tour.

There's something make me think that Mark and Mike may be compared :
- they both allow audio or video recording, and picturing during their show (only the management or the local staff don't)
- they like their fan and thay can be very accessible.

Cheers
Tubular Sultans Respects
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
27 replies since Mar. 11 2001, 19:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net