Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Different Blue Peter 7" pressings?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tsar.nathan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2011, 10:44

So, I have some doubles in my collection and was planning to sell them for a bit of cash. Before I listed to them I thought I'd check the condition, and after giving a play through noticed that side A of the Blue Peter 7" ended slightly differently on one of my copies.

Does anyone know anything about this? The sleeves are both the same and have the same catalogue number. Hopefully later I'll record both so you can hear what I mean. I don't know much about matrix numbers and pressings, but here they are if they'll help:

Version 1:
A-side: VS 317 A4
B-side: VS 317 B2

Version 2:
A-side: VS 317 A6
B-side: VS 317 B1

hopefully someone knows something :)
Thanks!
Nathan

--------------
http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=tsar.nathan
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2011, 12:25

Basically, Version 1 has a "false" ending on it that caught out some DJs on the radio. Mike obliged by recording a different ending so that the last note was the same as the first - so you get Version 2. There is a 3rd version on a compilation album and, of course, the original (again different) done for the programme.
Profile PM 
tsar.nathan Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2011, 12:44

Quote (Airborne @ Mar. 22 2011, 12:25)
Basically, Version 1 has a "false" ending on it that caught out some DJs on the radio. Mike obliged by recording a different ending so that the last note was the same as the first - so you get Version 2. There is a 3rd version on a compilation album and, of course, the original (again different) done for the programme.

Thank you very much! I suppose I should get back to doing some work now that my little mystery is solved.

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 22 2011, 17:43

3 versions. 2 of them are quite rare.

1. Ordinary version: Published on most sources. You will find this
    version on all 7" singles "Blue Peter / Woodhenge" outside UK
    (except Sweden), and on the UK singles with matrix numbers
    VS 317 A-3 or A-4. This version is also available on "The Complete
    Mike Oldfield" and the German-only compilation "Music Wonderland".

2. Version with refined ending: Available only on the UK 7" "Blue
    Peter / Woodhenge" with matrix numbers VS 317 A-6 or A-7 and on
    the Japanese 12" "The Singles".

3. Remix: The most different version. It's available on the Dutch
    compilation "Mike Oldfield's Wonderland" and on the Swedish 7"
    "Blue Peter / Woodhenge". This version was also included on the
    CD Bootleg "Swollowed Up By A Big Fat Snake".

;)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2011, 19:59

@ manintherain, just to clear up things:

this is the "refined ending" version...

[...continued in the next post, otherwise it doesn't work...]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2011, 20:09

... and this is the remix. Right? If I'm right, well, then the remix isn't that different from the "refined ending" version - it's just got more guitars. :)

@ nathan: be careful about what prices you're shooting for your 7'' records (especially the second version), as you've got a prospective buyer here. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2011, 20:15

... and of course this is the actual TV version. :) Sorry for the off-topic.

--------------
Profile PM 
tsar.nathan Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 08:36

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 22 2011, 20:09)
oting for your 7'' records (especially the second version), as you've got a prospective buyer here. :D

Well I don't think I'll be selling for now as they're different :) I'll have a listen to those links and check it's the same though

--------------
Profile PM 
tsar.nathan Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 09:17

So, here are the two versions I have; A6 followed by A4

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f8bxyr

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 10:14

@ Nathan: OK, A6 is the "refined ending" version (as described above), A4 is the ordinary version which can be found on official CDs. I'm not interested in any of those - I can hear some scratches at the beginning of A6, so I wouldn't really like to buy it. Maybe it would've been different if you had a physical copy of the Dutch remix. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 26 2011, 08:36

@ Ugo

Yes, you are right. A6 is the version with the refined ending but the remix version I find remarkably different. The lead guitar comes in at 4 seconds and the Solina string synthesizer at 47 seconds, just to mention two differences. And of course, the remix has the refined ending as well.

Counting the official TV version in as well as the one Mike reorded on on of the Blue Peter programmes, there are exactly five versions.

:D

Edited by manintherain on Mar. 26 2011, 08:37
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2011, 12:50

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 22 2011, 20:15)
... and of course this is the actual TV version. :) Sorry for the off-topic.

Oh you're off-topic all right, Ugo :D  WhenI was looking on the internet for a video of the closing theme, one of the Googled results was a link to a thread here where you, Spinne and others were discussing the downloading of a 4 CD collection of Mike's singles and rarities.  You cads!  Don't you know home taping is destroying music?!  Anyway, I suspect you just hit the wrong BP button.

You could claim the excuse of not growing up watching the thing, which I certainly can't and I spent all my childhood and much of my adult life under the impression that the music on the end credits, in its initial orchestral form, was another movement of the opening theme.  The fact that that was named Barnacle Bill often came up on screen or as facts in the papers, but 'twas not til the internet era that I finally learned it was W Burns' thematically similar Drum and Fife.

My exceptionally imperfect memory takes issue with Wikipedia's and other tellings of Mike's version being just done for the hell of it and subsequently adopted after the suggestion of viewers.  I think I recall the segment being previewed in the show before as "a new version of of our theme tune" or words to that effect.  Some kids writing in probably took them at their word.  Airborne seems like a good man to check on the facts!

The moral of the story is if you have this versionon vinyl, it's probablu priceless#1

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2011, 18:47

@ Cavalier: I didn't tape anything, nor did Spinne. The ultimate culprits are to be found somewhere up in Scandinavia, I think. :D But anyway I don't think that sharing an anthology which is mostly made up of music that you can't find absolutely anywhere in such a stunning quality (no matter how high and low you search) is such a big crime. Mostly, I think that it's absolutely not true that such things are destroying music. What I think is destroying music is the concept of digital downloading in itself, i.e. iTunes and everything else related to it. People releasing songs in digital-only format?! Phooey! :p I love physical releases, I love holding pieces of plastic and bits of paper in my hands, and I get so damn angry when something like friggin' iTunes doesn't allow me to.

Sorry for the very much off-topic rant. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: April 02 2011, 09:47

Guilty conscience eh, Ugo?  I'll see you hang from the highest yardarm in Her Majesty's Navy for the disrespect you've shown to its beloved hornpipes, you master criminal, you! :laugh:

My apologies for not getting more smilies in when posting last time :/ - I was still typing it as the seconds counted down so I failed to give it the final going over - and that may have made you bristle a bit more than I intended.  I'd hoped a slightly anachronistic reference to copyright theft (heaven help me, I'm getting old...) would be suitably ironic in this age of digital whatnots, but I'm with you on the physical release agenda.  You can only suppose that tangible formats will get rarer, as they share the fate of their predecessors, so you can only hope that the techologically minded among us will manage to create software that makes any difference in sound quality negligible.  For my part, I'll keep touching for as long as I can.

The good news is that during the panic of my last post, I added the last sentence and a bit in just under 10 seconds.  I'm up to 90 inaccurate words per minute!  Woo hoo! :)

...what's that, administrators?  On-topic?  I'm not sure I understand the concept...  Let's see, um...  Mike recorded some of Blue Peter at 90 beats per minute before speeding it up.  No?

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 22 2011, 10:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net