Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Differences between the HDCD version & the original CD version ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Timorage Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 15 2001, 15:34

Hello everyone! Here is my first post on this forum!

I just wanted to know: I bought the original version of Amarok some years ago, but a new version has been released for some weeks. In your opinion, is it worth buying the new one; is the quality really greater than the old one's?
Sorry for my english wink , I hope you understand what I mean... Thank you for advance for your replies!!
Profile PM 
Alnilam Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2001, 00:34

Hmm. I do not know how the original sounds, I've never encountered it, but the HDCD remaster (if that is what you are talking about) is what I have. It sounds wonderful, but the booklet on the cover is nothing like the original. The picture is the same but the text is all wrong. I don't know if it sounds better, but it sounds very good. Hope that helps a bit!
-Alnilam

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2001, 08:58

the sound in hdcd records is more clear and i think bass sounds smoother. anyone have crises hdcd, there's not foreign affair written on the back cover? is it just my cd that don't have it.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 27 2001, 14:41

On the subject of the booklet, you can get all the text from the booklet (and more!) by looking under Amarok in the Tubular Web discography (http://tubular.net/discography/Amarok.shtml ). The story is on a separate page - in case you miss it, it's at http://tubular.net/discography/AmarokStory.shtml
Profile PM 
Timorage Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2001, 10:27

Thank you!! wink I'm a big fan of Amarok. If the sound is better, I'll buy the HDCD version too, I think...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2001, 16:06

I have 4 Amaroks, 2 originals and 2 HDCDs, and IMHO they all sound exactly the same. smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2001, 02:51

2 HDCD ? 2 Regular CD ? for security purpose ? Load balancing ? backup ?
You're 'Mr Double' ! Double post, and double HDCD, double CD... wink
Cheers
François

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2001, 18:03

The 2 'regulars' are for security purposes. I like the piece too much to risk spoiling the CD. wink

The 2 HDCD's are the result of a mistake. I had ordered one of them from an Italian online shop, but they informed me that it wasn't available. Then I ordered it from my usual CD retailer, and he found it. But two days later a mail came from the online shop, saying that the item was available again and they were forwarding it. What was I supposed to say to them? "No thanks, I already have it" ??? biggrin biggrin

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2001, 02:35

Actually Ugo, that's exactly what you should have said. That's perfectly reasonable.
Profile PM 
tbasco Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2001, 16:11

actually, HDCD remastered CD's are in 20 bit rather than 16 bit as usual on CDs.

BUT, you have to have a HDCD CD/Decoder/Stereo to make use of the 20 bit in the HDCD, otherway it'll sound just like normal in 16 bit.
Profile PM 
Ambient Fish Offline

Posted: June 11 2004, 07:47

There is a difference, the HDCD version sounds more open on my CD player which is HDCD compatible. As explained in an earlier post the HDCD version has 20 bit word lengths which allows a greater bandwidth so less compression, the difference is so great in my opinion that I only have Killing Fields and Islands to find as remasters, all of the albums benefit from the HDCD encoding, as an aside, I also pruchased the SACD version of Tubular Bells and the HDCD version sounds better in Pro Logic II than the SACD version with it's 5 discrete channels.
Profile PM 
symansez Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2004, 19:00

well my hdcd distorts horribly when things get REALLY loud - most prominent is the final african chant section - right at the end. it distorts a little on the original - but MUCH more on hdcd. No problem with my hifi. checked it with good quality headphones plugged directly in to the cd player. apart from that - the quality is awsome! you can really hear the instruments! but in some ways i like the original cd, because that is the way i've always remembered it, the sound is smoother and certain guitars have 'the stage' rather than have other (now louder) bits distract you.
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2012, 08:31

Quote (symansez @ Oct. 31 2004, 19:00)
well my hdcd distorts horribly when things get REALLY loud - most prominent is the final african chant section - right at the end. it distorts a little on the original - but MUCH more on hdcd. No problem with my hifi. checked it with good quality headphones plugged directly in to the cd player. apart from that - the quality is awsome! you can really hear the instruments! but in some ways i like the original cd, because that is the way i've always remembered it, the sound is smoother and certain guitars have 'the stage' rather than have other (now louder) bits distract you.

I own and have checked multiple copies of the HDCD version of AMAROK and have compared it directly against the CD version using very high-end audio equipment and can confirm that:

1) Without a doubt the HDCD version sounds better; specifically the clarity and dynamics are far superior to the CD version, wherein with the CD version I am able to detect audio compression throughout, including whenever the audio peaks, (an issue that is very commonly seen when recording to CD) that is wholly absent with the HDCD version;

2) There is absolutely no instance of distortion whatsoever with the HDCD version when played using source equipment that is able to properly decode the HDCD encoding. (I use an OPPO BDP-95)

In short, the HDCD version of AMAROK nails the CD version to the wall in every regard   :)
Profile PM 
12 replies since Aug. 15 2001, 15:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net