Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Diehard MO fan here, Just a little intro< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Andrejnalin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 18:16

Hi all.

I am a diehard MO fan. I first registered on these forums 3 days ago, although I've been reading you guys for years :D

Nobody around me seems to understand and/or appreciate MO's music, so I wanted to find a fellow group of MO fans.

So there I find you. :)

Just thought a little intro wouldn't hurt :)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2009, 03:11

:) Hello Andrej and welcome to the forum.I took a little look at your profile there and... "Skopje" ???...Yeah I have to confess my complete ignorance as I had to look it up,but Mr Google tells me you`re in Macedonia is that right? So just how well known is Mike Oldfield in your part of the world? What was it that first got you interested in his music?

And nobody does understand us,too right.You`re in good company here.    :)  :cool:
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2009, 07:33

Welocme Andrej.As Dirk says you've found a whole group of people who are die hard Oldfield nuts!
 Hope you enjoy beong here.I know i've found out loads of stuff i didn't know.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Andrejnalin Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2009, 08:23

Thank you for the kind welcome :)

Yes, I am from Macedonia. MO in Macedonia is... well, he's non-existent :D

Except for several of my friends (that happen to know about him mostly because I talk about him and his musical genius), and some guy at one local TV station here (that plays his concerts of TB 2 and 3 some nights after 3 a.m., one after another, along with PULSE by Pink Floyd, some David Gilmour and Roger Waters single concerts) no body knows about him.

Whenever I get to talk about great music with someone, I am prepared to get a hard face when I bring him up.

Now, for the story of my involvement with him (that does sound gay):

my father was his fan, but not a great one. I have some vinyl pieces of him, most notably, Tubular Bells, Platinum, Islands, Five Miles Out and 2 more (don't remember them now, will have to take another look). But I never did hear on vinyl when I was little one.

I know my father did buy CDs from him from Germany, and there it was one CD called "Mike Oldfield Elements" which was essentially a compilation of some of his greatest works (pieces of Amarok, Tubular Bells, Sentinel...). I know I listened to that CD A LOT when I was a kid, along with my friends, without even realizing and knowing what I was entering in my mind through my ears.
But, since I didn't have the required age, I did stupidities. One of them was when my CD player wouldn't play this CD, so I took a screwdriver and tried to 'play' the CD like a turntable would play a vinyl plate. That didn't work, as you'd guess, but I did scratch the CD and I hid it.

Never looked again at it for about 10 years.

When I was 16 y. old I was searching through my CD collection for something new to play, and I saw TSODE. I put it in the CD player - but didn't really like it. I thought it was boring and too minimalistic (I was listening to a lot of ENIGMA of that time, but failed to realize the musical closeness between Michael Cretu and MO).
And I ditched it.

When I was 17 y. old, we had an arts class, and a music was going in the background while we were drawing and everything.... this CD was called, as I recall, Mystera. (Yeah, I just found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystera)
The CD was full of songs like ENIGMA MCMXC "Principles of Lust" - you know, gregorian chants etc.

And there was one special song which caught my attention instantly - you'd guess which one: MO - Hibernaculum.

I asked my friend what CD is this, went to the internet and searched for it. Found the song. Searched from what album this tune is, and found that it was from TSODE.
I put TSODE in my CD player.

We're in love ever since, MO and me :D:D There's no single day without his music.

My favourite album: Amarok, TSODE, Five Miles Out, Ommadawn, TB 2 and 3, Voyager... :D

I am too a musician, I always wanted to create a piece like Amarok or Taurus (2 especially), so I guess MO just clicked in the right time.

So, there you have it :)
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2009, 11:11

Quote (Andrejnalin @ Sep. 29 2009, 08:23)
Except for several of my friends (that happen to know about him mostly because I talk about him and his musical genius), and some guy at one local TV station here (that plays his concerts of TB 2 and 3 some nights after 3 a.m., one after another, a

W
But, since I didn't have the required age, I did stupidities. One of them was when my CD player wouldn't play this CD, so I took a screwdriver and tried to 'play' the CD like a turntable would play a vinyl plate. That didn't work, as you'd guess, but I did scratch the CD and I hid it

Hi there....
                  Better than BBC Radio 1 if youre getting TB2&3 Played back to Front .. Even if it is at a God Almighty Hour. :cool:

Would like to see that set up involving the CD & The Screwdriver.. Sounds like a Good one for a the 1st April :laugh:

Have Fun...

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2009, 15:01

"Nobody around me seems to understand and/or appreciate MO's music, so I wanted to find a fellow group of MO fans".

Try living in Austin Tx. You can get your ass kicked here for playing say, To France, loudly out your car window. Hence I carry a 1 million volt stun gun in my car. MO is fun! Yes! I love the crackle my stun gun makes. Scares the hell out of me. Of course none of this has to do with MO, just region. Don't live here bro.
    Welcome aboard friend!
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2009, 16:26

I need no stungun for we are the leaders of the free world. Ok, just kidding and stuff.

Welcome, Andrejnalin. You're gonna like it here. Just beware of Scatterplot, he's from Texas.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Sep. 30 2009, 02:39

Quote (Andrejnalin @ Sep. 28 2009, 18:16)
Nobody around me seems to understand and/or appreciate MO's music...

A common experience.
Welcome!  :)

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2009, 06:49

Welcome to the great world of Tubular.net forums \o/

Here in Brazil,MO isn't a household name,although things for me are about to change in a few days to come :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Andrejnalin Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2009, 08:54

Cool, nice to find a friendly bunch of people appreciating MO :D

We'll be hanging around here quite a bit, I suppose. :)

So, because I couldn't find any info on this - any new concerts of MO anywhere? I've never been on his concert, and now he moved to the Bahamas. I was planning to go to Palma de Mallorca and shake his hand the next summer, but he moved. :/
Profile PM 
9 replies since Sep. 28 2009, 18:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net