Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Did Mike lost his sense of humor?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 12 2002, 23:09

Since Tubular Bells II, I find that Mike has lost his sense of humor. The jokes in the Tubular Bells II concert are not funny, and since this album, he doesn't add funny elements to his albums anymore: no funny sounds, no funny melodies, no funny messages on the covers.

That's not fun!
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 13 2002, 03:34

No funny melodies but one : Mike's Reel.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss
Unregistered

Posted: July 18 2002, 18:26

Olivier,
now that you say it - seems that Mike's career was literally bred on humour. Think of the early singles - Don Alfonso, with that crazy German version - Froggy went a-courting, with that sleeve photo - drunk Sailors Hornpipe ... lots more...
Where has all the humour gone?  :O
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 18 2002, 18:30

Unregistered...me??? Ha ha ha!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2002, 05:30

Mike has certainly got a lot more serious, and a bit more surreal for Tr3s Lunas. I do miss the humor a bit, but when I need a joke I can always put on Amarok (or one of my endless comedy DVDs)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
canadhGealach Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 13:15

haha, I think Mike left enough humour for us to listen back on. never know though, maybe the remastered tub1 will have something extra? only time will tell... :zzz:
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 05:10

I think that perhaps the record company don't like or won't put out some of Mike's more humourous tracks - remember how Virgin felt about the rare 'Sally' track?
Profile PM 
Wanderer Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2005, 03:26

I found a lot of the attempts at "humour" in his earlier work a tad obnoxious, to be honest - especially on "Heaven's Open".

And I actually thought that "Tubular Bells II" was A LOT more lighthearted than the original - and I found "Altered State" a lot funnier than the caveman section of the original.

No accounting for taste I guess.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2005, 03:33

I wouldn't say that Heaven's Open has any humor on it, not in the way that this topic defines it. The entire album, and certainly Music from the Balcony, is a big joke on Virgin and Richard Branson, but not one really designed to be laugh-out-loud funny. That's how I hear it, anyway

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2005, 19:13

Well, I also suppose that TBII with Altered State and Moonshine is at least as funny as TB.
After that, the concept of TSODE didn't allow him to include too much humour, also on Voyager it would be out of place - it would be a totally different approach that accepts tracks like Mike's Reel.
I think TBIII can be considered as a too serious album but personally I don't feel that as a fault of the album.
On Guitars, to me there are two not very serious tracks: Out of Sight and Out of Mind. :) But I'm glad that it also contains more "serious" pieces like Embers and Enigmatism, they're very emotional tracks in my eyes.
Regarding The Millennium Bell, I think The Doge's Palace and the title track are as humorous as the concept allows it.
Well, Tres Lunas maybe could have more tongue-in-cheek effects, and TB2003 is exactly as funny as the original one in my opinion.
But of course, the choice of concepts changed so that Mike doesn't allow much humour for himself - and this is his decision anyhow.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2005, 19:28

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 13 2005, 09:33)
I wouldn't say that Heaven's Open has any humor on it, not in the way that this topic defines it. The entire album, and certainly Music from the Balcony, is a big joke on Virgin and Richard Branson, but not one really designed to be laugh-out-loud funny.

Well, I don't know, Olivier missed funny sounds, funny melodies, funny messages on the cover and Music from the Balcony has some in the first two categories (monkey sounds, crazy-funny tunes especially on sax), I also consider Make Make and Gimme Back as funny songs (and like them very much), and the Michael Oldfield caption on the cover is also a joke in a way (as a referring to Sally's use of her middle name Natasha on her album covers).

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2005, 03:52

Music VR is full of humour, and of the best sort - warm, gentle humour, often coinciding with either a visual or musical event of great beauty, where you find yourself sitting with a silly grin on your face and just feeling good.

When you're trying to kick a piano through a giant arch, or being carried madly away by a bunch of manic ants along a tunnel flashing with disco lights, you're not in any doubt about whether Mike still has a sense of humour.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2005, 05:20

i'd say he hadn't lost his sense of humour at least until tr3s lunas. maestro seems very serious to me though.. but i agree with alan tr3s lunas has got very good mood. there are some moments in which laughs are unavoidable. i'm just thinking of our attempts to trick snowy... it's hilarious to think that a tiny stubborn owl seems to be always able to find our avatars while trying to fly away and hide from him. he's always so straightly determined while we go stumbling across trees and bushes to finally crash into the green crytals... when he catches me, i can't help feeling the owl's beak holding the firebeing from the neck!! he makes me feel so clumsy.. :D

there's a place in tr3s lunas that seems a bit a joke to me: the volcano. everything's so soft since u shoot the ringhead: the flight with the firebeings, a stroll in the island under a wonderful light, the daliphant far away in the horizon, then the amazing view of the kid doing tai chi, the smooth flight with the saucer... but then, the hot red stomach of the volcano!! i always feel i need air when i'm there. isn't it an evil joke to end so such a pleasant trip ??  

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2005, 08:04

Quote (maria @ Mar. 14 2005, 10:20)
maestro seems very serious to me though..

I agree that the general tone is much more serious (which is odd when you think that according to the plot, the gravitars have set us all 'fun' games to complete), but let's see if we can think of some humorous Maestro moments:

1. The voice that says 'Are you still there?' when you touch the grav pen.
2. The Maestro sequence itself, where the letters are all tumbling everywhere and the music is bursting with fun. There's something absurd and funny about that I think.
3. The gravitars themselves are amusing to look at.

Any others?
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2005, 11:09

4. The shark outside the bells tunnels.
5. The dinosaurs walking through the mountains.
6. The tomato face...  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 17:27

Well, I'm not a big fan of humour in music.  Just because it's not in his music, doesn't mean Mike's lost his sense of humour.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 17:42

If you are the greatest living musician in this world you dont have to get funny - you can get deep!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 17:43

have you not seen the new photos? Jeez, he looks scary to say the least, not only has he lost the humour from his work, he's lost his smile and real face by the looks of things  ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 18:04

well Mike isnt exactly a young man anymore, so his his face is changing(of course). Also he has proved to be humorous earlier. And when it comes to chilling-out with his latest "ambient" music, I personally prefer relaxing my facial muscles rather than laughing out loud as if watching The Black Adder.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 18:18

Quote (Harmono @ Aug. 08 2005, 17:42)
If you are the greatest living musician in this world you dont have to get funny

Oh, YES, you sure do. Didn't the Beatles teach that lesson to the world already?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
26 replies since July 12 2002, 23:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net