Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Did Mike lost his sense of humor?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Bell(end) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 09:29

the Beatles were never the greatest musicians in the world, Mike looked scary because of his weird/aggressive facial expression, not because he's older! sheesh  :p

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 14:36

That guy Beethoven was a barrel of laughs, I'm sure ..... and when that Wagner chap gets Brunnhilde to ride into the flames at the end of Gotterdammerung and redeem the world - wow, what a hoot! And there's nothing like a good Sibelius symphony to get the old chuckles chortling. Yeah, these old guys really knew how to plant a good joke.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 14:53

It's like John Lennon (I think) said, you gotta keep your sense of humour because all the serious guys are dead!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 16:33

Mike does indeed look less than chilled out in most photo's these days.
I'm not so bothered about Mike's blatant sense of humour deserting his music (as in the Maggie Thatcher bit in Amarok or the cave man bit in TB) but its a shame that the playfulness and sometimes even cheekyness in his musical compositions seems to have long since gone. His music like his photographs seems so SERIOUSLY chilled out I think that was one of the sides to his music that disappeared after TB2. His music now seems to try to hard to 'fit in' to whatever musical genre he's aiming for and his playfulness as part of his musical individuality has steadily declined to the point now where his music really could be anybodies, cutting though that sounds. I mean those two new tracks, one of which is quite pretty, never the less could, to my ears, be by any 'chill out' artist like Enigma etc etc. It just sounds generic to me.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 03:43

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 11 2005, 21:33)
its a shame that the playfulness and sometimes even cheekyness in his musical compositions seems to have long since gone.

One of the things we were saying, though, is that Tres Lunas the game is packed full of good humour and cheekiness. Maestro is generally more serious in tone, but there are still bits of humour to be found scattered around - the great unexpected explosions in the 'Inviz' world, the cheekiness of the gravitars, and so on.

I entirely disagree about the suggestion that his music could be anybody's. Tr3s Lunas in particular oozes Mike Oldfieldness from every pore, and, in hindsight, is implicit in so much of the music he's written before.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 08:45

In my view, the only thing in Tr3s Lunas that truly reeks of Mike Oldfield are the guitars (that and the recurring melodies, in my opinion entirely unnecessary, but there you go). The melodies, atmospheres, synth tones, they don't really remind me of Mike Oldfield. Only the guitars do so, and if I were cynical enough, I'd say that it only goes to show how Mike's guitar style hasn't changed for decades. But I'll say instead that his guitar sound is very distinctive.

If Light And Shade only uses synthesizers, I don't doubt at all that it's far more generic than Tr3s Lunas.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 10:07

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 12 2005, 13:45)
In my view, the only thing in Tr3s Lunas that truly reeks of Mike Oldfield are the guitars (that and the recurring melodies, in my opinion entirely unnecessary, but there you go).

I've now said this so many times that it's boring to have to say it again, and I'm sure equally boring to read it; but if you judge Tr3s Lunas without having played the game, you are missing a whole huge piece of the composite art form. If you say in response: 'but I only wish to hear the music', that is of course your prerogative; but it doesn't put you in a position to make a proper assessment of the overall artistic achievement. It's like going to a movie and keeping your eyes closed all the time.
Profile PM 
26 replies since July 12 2002, 23:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net