Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Did Anita write lyrics?, Strange grammar in Mike's lyrics.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 09 2005, 17:36

Somewhere in this forum people have pointed out the strange grammar in several songs from ca 86-89 (North Point, Innocent etc).
Since Mike is a native englishman I'm beginning to suspect that Anita (a native Norwegian!;) wrote lyrics for some of the songs she sang.

I'm not a native english speaker myself, so I'm not even sure if I would notice, but "love to me, like the very first love" doesn't sound right.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 09 2005, 17:52

Sometimes you don't use correct English to write lyrics,but it's because you've got to fit into the music itself...that's what I've learned while I was having English classes.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 20:11

I just DL'ed the video clip from Innocent. While in the beginning she sings "speak to me like the very first speak", at 2.37 it really sounds like "speak to me like the very first week".  I assume the music is identical to the CD version, so it should be heard there as well.

Does anyone else hear this? It sounds 100% like "week" to me.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2006, 18:57

It sounds like "week" to me too. Maybe Anita realized by herself that the line was ungrammatical, and provided a solution? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2006, 21:16

She could have invented that one before the line came by the first time :D.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2006, 16:03

That could explain why it,s(how can i put this ?) crap! ;)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2006, 17:03

Innocent is the best track on the album! It has a strange subtle melancholy that I'm drawn too.

I have a soft spot See the Light though. It shouldn't be totally out of place on Discovery.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2010, 10:50

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 24 2006, 23:03)
Innocent is the best track on the album! It has a strange subtle melancholy that I'm drawn too.

I have a soft spot See the Light though. It shouldn't be totally out of place on Discovery.

Lars T

If 'Innocent' is melancholic and the best song in the album, I'm a miner nurse and live with my husbands in a green submarine. Please, don't speak to me like the very first week, tho' you say farewell.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
7 replies since May 09 2005, 17:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net