Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Demo Version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 31 2008, 03:32

I understand a digital single, "Spheres" (which I have not heard), was released in the UK, and that it is a demo made before Jenkins' involvement. I was just wondering if there is more demo material and, if so, will that too be released?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 16:08

Since no-one else replied so far... my guess is that yes, there would definitely be more demo stuff - after all, Mike wrote the whole album on his computer - and no, it likely won't be released. The Spheres single was probably just meant as an appetizer for eager fans, and now that the album is out, I doubt he sees the need to release more of the sort. That's the best answer I can come up with.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 17:21

"Spheres" has been released - as a digital download on iTunes and other download stores. :)

EDIT: Ooops... I misread your reply, Holger. No, I don't think than any demos other than "Spheres" will be released. Indeed, I think that the demo-ed computer material just doesn't exist anymore - after the album's release (and especially after the Bilbao performance), Mike did nothing else than simply delete the files and empty the recycle bin. [Hey, but do Macs have a recycle bin? I haven't the faintest idea... :D]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 18:16

Quote (Ugo @ June 07 2008, 23:21)
Indeed, I think that the demo-ed computer material just doesn't exist anymore - after the album's release (and especially after the Bilbao performance), Mike did nothing else than simply delete the files and empty the recycle bin. [Hey, but do Macs have a recycle bin? I haven't the faintest idea... :D]

We can't know for sure, of course, but I can't imagine he did that, personally. I know I wouldn't, anyway.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 07 2008, 15:09

Quote (Holger @ June 07 2008, 16:08)
my guess is that yes, there would definitely be more demo stuff - after all, Mike wrote the whole album on his computer - and no, it likely won't be released.

Well, shoot. Maybe, one of these days, someone's going to find several dozen unreleased recordings in Mike's basement. The thought fills me with both frustration and anticipation.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 08 2008, 07:45

Sweetpeas i have had the exact same thoughts mant times.There must be tons of tapes somewhere!What i'd really like would be the first version of Ommadawn (the one we hear snatches of on the All You Need Is Love DVD)but as the tape actaully disintergrated then this is all we have.
To go back to the original topic though,i would be very surprised if a demo version was done entirely on Mike computer.Must have taken ages too complete.If it does exist though i would love to hear it too.
High time a CD of  demo's was made available me thinks.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 08 2008, 13:51

Quote (The Caveman @ July 08 2008, 07:45)
What i'd really like would be the first version of Ommadawn (the one we hear snatches of on the All You Need Is Love DVD)but as the tape actaully disintergrated then this is all we have.

Me too, Caveman, though mostly from a 'historical document' viewpoint. It may be unjust, but when I first heard those sounds on that video, I thought 'Thank goodness he did it over!' But I like to imagine he's got an Ommadawn II or III sitting around gathering dust.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 09 2008, 09:14

It is lucky in a way that the tape was destroyed because the version on the DVD doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the final version.It sounds closer to parts of HR.But as a document i agree that it's valuable.But i really don't think we'll be lucky enough to get Ommadawn II or even III though.Same.Mike really should get onto this site and gauge what we all think......ARE YOU LISTENING MR OLDFIELD? :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
7 replies since May 31 2008, 03:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net