Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Defective copy from Virgin?, The case of the missing bass< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 11:07

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 09 2010, 09:50)
Quote (spark @ Sep. 09 2010, 08:00)
The Boxed version mixed out the bass, trumpets and snare drum .

It did not mix out the bass - the bass is very prominent.

Jules

The bass is not very prominent on the 2010 mix though. It was mixed out (or rather hijacked) at 12:12. Been listening to it again today -  bloody travesty!!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ridge Van Hergest Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 11:16

Quote (spark @ Sep. 09 2010, 14:00)
Ridge , youve got the boxed mix on cd .

Its not wrong its correct.

The Boxed version mixed out the bass,trumpets and snare drum .

Its what Mike wanted , and now in 2010 we have what we wanted , a cd of the original mix !!!!

I don't know. If everything I've read is correct, the "Boxed" mix is what I have on my vinyl LP (made in the 90s).

I have no idea of what happened with the Virgin CD, but I'm rather confident that it couldn't be meant to sound that way.

--------------
Check out my record collection! (click "Homepage" button)
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 17:33

@ RVH: so do you mean to say that the CD doesn't sound like the LP? Well, I still need you to confirm some details. Is the LP a Virgin issue? Where was it printed? When? I have an Italian "defective" LP copy of the original 1974 Virgin issue, which features the "Boxed" mix on side one and the original mix on side two [the reverse would've suited me better, but anyway... :)] And I have two LP copies of The Complete Mike Oldfield, both of which feature an excerpt of the original mix, while the CD version of The Complete features the remix. So, there may be a number of Virgin albums around, obviously printed after the original release, which may still have at least some of the original mix. Is there any way for you to let me know whether your LP is one of those? ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 06:00

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 10 2010, 17:33)
I have two LP copies of The Complete Mike Oldfield, both of which feature an excerpt of the original mix, while the CD version of The Complete features the remix.

Not all true - later copies of the CD version The Complete used the Boxed remix for the excerpt, but the first editions used the original 1974 mix like the vinyl did.  I know for I have a copy.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 14:13

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 12 2010, 12:00)
Not all true - later copies of the CD version The Complete used the Boxed remix for the excerpt, but the first editions used the original 1974 mix like the vinyl did.  I know for I have a copy.

I do too - I have two copies of The Complete on CD in an actual double CD box, and both of them feature the original mix; two more copies I have (always on CD), which are packed in a "two-in-one" slimline box, feature the remix.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2010, 05:25

Ooh, my version of Complete is a double box one - I think I should check that out.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
25 replies since Sep. 01 2010, 01:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net