Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: David Kosten's 2023 stereo remix< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2023, 10:56

I've just been listening to David Kosten's stereo remix of Tubular Bells, and I think we may finally have a definitive version of Part One which will please everyone (Mike Included). He's somehow managed to fly in the original reed and pipe organ PLUS the original finale bells, which as we all aware, were wiped from the multitracks during the Boxed remix sessions.

So far so brilliant, but things are less satisfying when it comes to Part Two, thanks to a rogue out-of-sync bass guitar during the "bagpipes" section. Was it always like this but just too buried to notice, or has Mr Kosten made a boo-boo?  Either way, it sends me scurrying back to the original 1973 mix.

Still, one out of two ain't bad.

I'm somewhat vexed that I don't seem to be able to buy his mix on a CD though. I didn't get the blu ray because I don't have a blu ray player. Does anyone know how I can get the new mix some other way? Maybe I'll have to settle for a download of the album.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: June 29 2023, 10:48

Yesterday I listened the stereo mix on Youtube. It's a good mix overall, but there were some user comments about bass lines out of time. And to my personal taste, the tubular bells are way too soft in the mix.

Both the 2009 mix and this mix have too soft tubular bells, whereas only the 1973 mix (and perhaps the 1976 Boxed mix with the re-recorded bells) has them on proper loudness, so that they really stand out and be worthy to give the album its famous title.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 29 2023, 11:14

Quote (Happy? @ June 29 2023, 10:48)
Yesterday I listened the stereo mix on Youtube. It's a good mix overall, but there were some user comments about bass lines out of time. And to my personal taste, the tubular bells are way too soft in the mix.

Both the 2009 mix and this mix have too soft tubular bells, whereas only the 1973 mix (and perhaps the 1976 Boxed mix with the re-recorded bells) has them on proper loudness, so that they really stand out and be worthy to give the album its famous title.

I thought they sounded loud enough. I thought the 1976 bells were too gentle.

The bass f*ck up is in Part Two.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: July 22 2023, 10:26

Tubular bells comparative perceived loudness analysis, from loud to soft:

1. 1973
2. 2023
3. 1976
4. 2009

So, familyjules, you're right.  ;)

I haven't listened the different mixes often enough yet to tell all the notable differences between the mixes. Perhaps I should listen them part by part.

Notable are the differences in track duration between the versions, though.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
3 replies since June 28 2023, 10:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net