Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Crisis"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 04 2010, 18:19

When I was 14 I used to own an album by a band called "Railord". The band named was spelled out in gothic letters on the front over the picture of a full moon.
A few months later I found out that the band was actually called "Bathory" and that I wasn't very good at reading those ultra-ornate gothic fonts.

It was a bit awkward because I had been telling my friends at school about "Railord"!  :laugh:

Here's the sleeve:

http://media.photobucket.com/image....urn.jpg

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2010, 21:21

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 04 2010, 15:56)
@ CJJC: :laugh: :laugh: Very good! :laugh:

Joking aside, I used to own an Italian 7'' (made in Italy, printed in Italy) of "Moonlight Shadow" (which I sold). It had "Mike Oldfield" correctly as artist credit on both sides, but also on both sides the composer was credited as "M. Olfield" !! :O [Another Italian single which I don't have - I don't remember what is it - also has "Olfield" on the label.] Evidently the Crisis/Crises era was a particularily prolific period for mi(ke)stakes by Virgin and its various international branches...

@ Incantations: The Pink Floyd Sound was a moniker for their first demos, which were later released on and orange-vinyl boot called Projected Sounds. The actual band name was The Pink Floyd. Later on, they dropped the "The".

Speaking of Pink J-Loyd, A Saucerful of Secrets spells "Gilmour" as "Gilmore".
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 20:02

@ Lars: if you didn't explicitly say that the name is Bathory, I'd never have read it like that, as to me it looks like "Baclord"... so your mistake is kind-of justified. ;) BTW, what kind of music is that? Black metal, I suppose... the use of Gothic-like fonts seems to be a staple of that genre, just as much as the meaningless umlauts (i.e. the two dots over a vowel which are supposed to change that vowel's pronunciation, but they really don't) are a staple of metal in general - like in Mötorhead and Mötley Crüe.

@ Nightspore: not only that, there are lots of American releases of other PF albums which have "Gilmore". Apparently that spelling is more common in the USA than it is in the UK.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 02:18

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 05 2010, 20:02)
@ Lars: if you didn't explicitly say that the name is Bathory, I'd never have read it like that, as to me it looks like "Baclord"... so your mistake is kind-of justified. ;) BTW, what kind of music is that? Black metal, I suppose... the use of Gothic-like fonts seems to be a staple of that genre, just as much as the meaningless umlauts (i.e. the two dots over a vowel which are supposed to change that vowel's pronunciation, but they really don't) are a staple of metal in general - like in Mötorhead and Mötley Crüe.

Bathory were a very influental swedish one-man black metal band. This album "...the return" is absolutely insane, even by todays standards. The album has a great atmosphere but the musicianship is so-so to put it gently.

I think Bathory stayed clear of the umlauts because they were swedish, and in Sweden the umlauts certainly changes the pronounciations of the words.
The funniest thing I have ever encountered with "metal-umlauts" is the band Trojan who decided their bandname looked better as Tröjan, which is swedish for "The Sweater". Really funny if you look at the cover:

http://heavymetalbreed.blogspot.com/2008/04/trojan-chasing-storm.html

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
23 replies since Sep. 01 2010, 14:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net