[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Crises watcher< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pedro 1000 buttons Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 10 2002, 06:28

Hi!
Does anybody know what is Mike talking about with "the watcher and the tower, waiting hour by hour" in Crises?

Thanks
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2002, 10:49

eek ooooh, my dear friend...!!!

The thing is at follows:

'Take a walk until the next dawn
in the winter, rain and snow'

The watcher and the Tower etc.

'There's a breech in the security
a disturb in tranquility'

etc.

Was it helpful? Hope so!!!

Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 05:20

I have no idea what all of that means, but it sounds very mysterious. I'm sure it means something...

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 12:49

On several occasions Mike has made lyrics about belief:
Holy, See the light, The time has come, Peace on Earth.

And of course there is the astronaut in Let there be light (In the beginning...etc.)

So maybe the lyrics in Crises are refering to the Watchtower Society (a.k.a. Jehova's Witnesses). They are waiting for the rebirth of Christ and the end of days.

Perhaps Mike beliefs there will be salvation.
I do think there is still hope for him ;-)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 31 2002, 18:29

I think it's probably another case of his obscure lyrics that can mean what you want them to mean. Barry Palmer once said that he felt that Mike likes the meanings of what he writes to be unclear, to keep things a little mysterious (and Mike's answers to questions about the meanings of lyrics tended to be vague, with questions like "Does is mean this...?" tending to be answered with an enigmatic "It could do...").

It seems to me that he's trying to create more of an atmosphere with the words rather than make a reference to anything particularly specific.
Mike has made Christian references in his lyrics before now (though I'd not include The Time has Come amongst those...you'll find my thoughts on that in another forum), but claims to follow his own set of beliefs in preference to any organised religion, which for me would put a question mark over any reference to the watchtower society, but it's an interesting suggestion and you never know...

There's some evidence which suggests that Mike owned the painting that forms the cover for Crises before the album was recorded - it's possible that the lyrics were simply written to describe the painting, perhaps because he had it in mind for the cover, or perhaps because he was stuck for inspiration and tried describing the picture as a kind of exercise to get his thoughts going.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 02 2002, 03:43

Well, it was just a wild guess.

And we all know that Mike doesn't care what we think of him, so he just make some statements that spontaniously come to him...

Sometimes I suspect him of not even knowing what he's talking about...

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2003, 16:46

Quote (jael @ June 02 2002, 03:43)
Sometimes I suspect him of not even knowing what he's talking about...

:D  As long as his lyrics sound good and add to the overall picture, I don't care what he's singing about... :p
Profile PM 
Rileman Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2004, 05:05

I think that 'the watcher' means the suffering person who is living in a crisis. 'The tower', the dark, scary tower on the cover of the album, means the crisis. 'The watcher' is waiting, helpless, hour by hour. He have tried to get the crisis away, but he failed, and now, there is nothing more he can do. Just waiting...to see if time will take the crisis away.

That's my thoughts about the lyrics in 'Crises'.

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 11:34

I have a story for Crises, at the start all is well, I don't know what exactly but at around 3 minutes a big problem arises, the poor man tries to get away from it and takes a peaceful walk, when he returns he is in limbo, static in thought and movement, pondering his problems, he gazes from his window for hours in a solid daydream and finds a risky solution, he convinces himself that its the only way to solve his problems and goes for it, the final climax is him completing his risky mission and at the end there is around half a minute of complete silence, this is when he collapses and breaks down inside, unable to move through worry.

I didn't give any specific detail so that people can make up their own stories from this, this is just something to base things upon  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 16:56

Quote (oblique @ May 31 2002, 18:49)
So maybe the lyrics in Crises are refering to the Watchtower Society (a.k.a. Jehova's Witnesses). They are waiting for the rebirth of Christ and the end of days.

he he.. not a bad idea  ;)

how did you know that?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 05:58

From a message posted by Nicolas Delnatte in Amarok Mailing List:

I put here some informations I had from Terry Ilott, who painted the cover fro "Crises"

Terry Ilott first met Mike Oldfield in 1976, by a sculptor named Lynn Chadwick. At this time, Oldfield lived in the neighbourhood of Ilott's house. Ilott reports that he met once Stevie Winwood and other musicians at Mike's house, and that they all played music together (not Ilott, only the musicians).

Before 1978, Terry Ilott painted a dozen of frames for a James Ballard's book 'The Drowned World'. Finally, the book or the paintings (?) were not published.

In 1978, Mike Oldfield bought two of these pictures, one of them being something close to the cover of 'Crises'. In a tour program from 1980 or 1981, two pictures forming a dypthich were included (I don't know if there were the two frames bought or only one of them), the one wich would inspire Crises's cover, and another, sort of red vartation of the Crises covers.
This picture used to be on a website that seems not to exist anymore.

While working on 'Crises', Mike asked Ilott to paint a new frame close to the version of 1978, for the cover of the album.

The following comes from a french interview :

Mike Oldfield received the frame while working on the album. The frame was named 'Sea of Crises' (a place on the Moon - note : I think the Moon is reversed (correct english ?) on the frame or is it in the impression process that it was reverted ?). This name inspired some of the lyrics for the album.

Yes it seems that some lyrics are linked to the cover : 'The watcher and the tower waiting...', 'Moonlight Shadow' and maybe more...
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 13:54

Quote (oblique @ May 31 2002, 18:49)

I am not completely shure, but as far as I remember, the name "Watchtower society" is based on the
following fragment of the Holy Scriptures.
It says about watcher and tower, maybe Mike got inspired by this too?

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 16:00

Quote (amazarak @ Mar. 11 2006, 13:54)
I am not completely shure, but as far as I remember, the name "Watchtower society" is based on the
following fragment of the Holy Scriptures.
It says about watcher and tower, maybe Mike got inspired by this too?

Here is the line: ""Day after day, my lord, I stand on the watchtower; every night I stay at my post."

In the Scripture, the watcher is ON the tower. In Crises, he is not watching from the tower, he is watching the tower itself.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 04:54

Quote (hiawatha @ Mar. 11 2006, 22:00)
In Crises, he is not watching from the tower, he is watching the tower itself.

Certainly? I can't find a fragment of crises lirycs that suggest that.
The towers are not to be watched, but to be a place to watch from.

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 09:15

Quote (amazarak @ Mar. 12 2006, 04:54)
Quote (hiawatha @ Mar. 11 2006, 22:00)
In Crises, he is not watching from the tower, he is watching the tower itself.

Certainly? I can't find a fragment of crises lirycs that suggest that.
The towers are not to be watched, but to be a place to watch from.

amazarak

Look at the album cover art.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 10:10

First of all, it's no "tower", but a scycraper.
Secondly, in that "tower" there's one window lit, in a right-top corner, where resides the watcher who waits hour by hour :)

BTW what a pointless discussion ;)
I think Mike's reaction whould be like "what a hell are they talking about!?"
IMHO he just wrote a mysteriously sounding piece of text :cool:

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 11:33

Quote (amazarak @ Mar. 12 2006, 10:10)
First of all, it's no "tower", but a scycraper.
Secondly, in that "tower" there's one window lit, in a right-top corner, where resides the watcher who waits hour by hour :)

BTW what a pointless discussion ;)
I think Mike's reaction whould be like "what a hell are they talking about!?"
IMHO he just wrote a mysteriously sounding piece of text :cool:

amazarak

A skyscraper is a kind of tower, anyway.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 15:50

If the watcher is in the tower, then who the hell is the guy in the lower right-hand corner of the cover?

For what it's worth, I've always thought the lyrics suggest that watcher is not in the tower but waiting together with the tower.
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 05:10

Quote (Sysiyo @ Mar. 12 2006, 21:50)
If the watcher is in the tower, then who the hell is the guy in the lower right-hand corner of the cover?

I dunno, maybe he is someone who is being watched by the watcher :)

I think that the connection between cover art and lyrics doesn't have to be so strict, though it is suggested by the watcher-and-tower clause on the back side of the cover.

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 08:04

The cover always reminded me a little of the light in the tower on Kadath in this classic fantasy tale:

"Vaster and vaster loomed the tenebrous towers of the nighted castle above, and Carter could see that it was well-nigh blasphemous in its immensity. Well might its stones have been quarried by nameless workmen in that horrible gulf rent out of the rock in the hill pass north of Inquanok, for such was its size that a man on its threshold stood even as air out on the steps of earth's loftiest fortress. The pshent of unknown stars above the myriad domed turrets glowed with a sallow, sickly flare, so that a kind of twilight hung about the murky walls of slippery onyx. The pallid beacon was now seen to be a single shining window high up in one of the loftiest towers"

- from "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath", H. P. Lovecraft. Also consider the Dark Tower of "The Lord of the Rings" and the other Dark Tower from Shakespeare/Browning/King.

Then there is the Bob Dylan lyric for a song performed by Hendrix and others:

"All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too."

Surely any discussion of "the watcher and the tower" needs to consider this song, "All Along the Watchtower", which is far and away  the most famous one about a watcher/tower/etc. Please see: http://www.reasontorock.com/tracks/watchtower.html

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
23 replies since Jan. 10 2002, 06:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net