Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Crises watcher< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
amazarak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 15:25

Well might its stones have been quarried by nameless workmen in that horrible gulf rent out of the rock in the hill pass north of Inquanok

When I read these words, I thought "hey, this must be Lovecraft" :)

@hiawatha, great thanks for Your post, I think that the reference to "all allong ..." really explains a lot. The connection I think is obvious ("can't get away" ~ "There must be some kind of way out of here").
The only thing that is to be decided, is wether "the watcher" is the one who observes the area and guards the trinquil (let's say "the prince") or the one who approaches (or plans to approach) the tower "to establish a different set of values".

We should also keep in minds, that "Shadow on the wall" is said to be inspired by the plight in Poland in the early 80s. Thus, the path of "old order" represented by the tower and "new order" (possibly) represented by the watcher seems to be right.

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 16 2006, 04:54

The watchtower is a subject that Terry Ilott has dealt with for a long time:

Ilott, Terry; Acrylic on Board, signed 1973, Watchtower. :cool:
Profile PM 
beninu Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2023, 01:18

MO makes reference to the artwork with the line, "the watcher and the tower, waiting hour, by hour". He sings this in the title track and it is also written on the cover at the bottom under the cover art.
In an interview from about 2000 (not sure about the exact year, but it was many years after the first release of the album, but might have been in connection with the release of the remastered edition), Mike Oldfield was asked what he meant by those words: "the watcher and the tower, waiting hour, by hour".
MO didn't reveal much when he simply responded: "I'm the man in the corner, and the tower is my music". And then we could make of that what we want, I guess ... :/ :D
(BTW: It was Terry Ilott who made the cover art.)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2023, 19:58

Quote (beninu @ Feb. 21 2023, 01:18)
MO didn't reveal much when he simply responded: "I'm the man in the corner, and the tower is my music".

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

- Churchill
Profile PM 
23 replies since Jan. 10 2002, 06:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net