Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Crises 2000 vs 2013 releases< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DOLOMITE Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 10 2021, 08:11

Hi, I have the 2000 CD and am considering the 2012 release. I'm not that bothered by the additional material as I have most of the extra tracks and don't find the live stuff much more than a curiosity.

So it's really around the improvement in quality over the album itself. Is it significant enough to make the purchase worthwhile?

I would buy the CD, but sadly I only get to listen to music 3 ways:

1) Bluetooth from phone to speaker while working
2) In the car (from USB drive through decenet head unit).
3) from laptop via off-board DAC and some nice 'phones.

This means the CD will really just be ripped to lossless (FLAC) and those files then played back as per the above.

It's a personal choice I guess but just wondered generally what your thoughts on are on the remastering and how effective it is.

I'll be posting same question for other albums.

Thanks in advance.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2021, 05:54

I would say, to notice, you need a good amp/speaker/headphone system to notice difference.

I love the 5.1 mixes, and listen as an event on my home system.

But Every time I get any new audio equipment (car/phone/home/portable), first thing I do is listen to Hergest Ridge !
Profile PM 
DOLOMITE Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2021, 06:35

Quote (tarquincat @ Mar. 11 2021, 05:54)
I would say, to notice, you need a good amp/speaker/headphone system to notice difference.

I love the 5.1 mixes, and listen as an event on my home system.

But Every time I get any new audio equipment (car/phone/home/portable), first thing I do is listen to Hergest Ridge !

Thanks. The headphones are decent (£100+ Sennheisers and with a usb dac to avoid shitty laptop soundcard), car is decent Alpine head unit in "direct" mode so all the over processing gubbins is bypassed.

Sounds daft but a 5.1 mix will only sound different with a 5.1 set up and full decoding presumably? Both the above are just plain old stereo which is fine. I guess my mediaplayer would support a 5.1 mix, but with just headphones would this actually make a difference?

I think I'll but one of the remasters and make a call on the rest based on that.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: June 01 2021, 05:21

Sounds daft but a 5.1 mix will only sound different with a 5.1 set up and full decoding presumably? Both the above are just plain old stereo which is fine. I guess my mediaplayer would support a 5.1 mix, but with just headphones would this actually make a difference?

So, the 5.1 mix is actually quite different, even when mixed back down to stereo in your media player and listening on headphones. Similarly with all of the 5.1 remixes from the Deluxe Editions, it's a remix from scratch from the multi-tracks and some parts are edited out, the balance is different, new things have appeared or disappeared...

I made proper stereo downmixes of FMO, Crises and 1984 Suite (which had not been downmixed to stereo very well on the official release), let me know if you want to have a listen and I'll send you a link :)
Profile PM 
3 replies since Mar. 10 2021, 08:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net