Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Crime of Passion?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
LivingForever Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 28 2003, 08:22

Does anyone else think Crime of Passion could have been used for Discovery?

It has exactly the same 'dum DUM' drum opening as most of the songs on Side 1... sounds like it was meant to go on there and got dropped at the last minute.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. In fact I can't even remember when it was released - could have been way before Discovery.

On another note, isn't it so similar to 'Moonlight Shadow'?

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2003, 18:10

AFAIK, 'Moonlight Shadow', 'Crime of Passion' and 'Man in the Rain' were all written in a row - that's why they're similar. As for the release of 'Crime', yes, it's way off Discovery - more than a year before. But I think it was just meant as a follow-up to the huge hit Mike had with MS, and the fact that the drum intro is similar to tracks on Discovery is, IMHO, not more than a coincidence. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2003, 10:38

Thanks for the reply Ugo - I guess Mike is just very good at plagiarising himself then, nothing more!!

In actual fact I think there are a lot of instances of refererences I've noticed recently that aren't on the reference guide - I'll jot them down and mail them off sometime...

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 09 2003, 15:15

I'd say the reason for Moonlight Shadow, Crime of Passion sounding so similar is more that Mike wanted them to than the fact that they were written at around the same time.

He did say how after Moonlight Shadow, people said "Great, make more like it" and so he did, rather literally...

Man In The Rain was a more recent composition musically, I believe - when he made demos of it with Barry Palmer, it was to the tune of Heaven's Open (though what the music was like when he originally wrote it, I don't know).
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2003, 16:04

Quote (Korgscrew @ Dec. 09 2003, 21:15)
Man In The Rain was a more recent composition musically, I believe

Didn't he also say that he wrote MITR right after MS? :)

Plus, my real intention in the first answerin' post above was to say that Mike actually wanted MS and CoP to be similar. I worded it rather badly. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
DelfĂ­n Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2004, 08:08

Can you imagine Discovery with 'In The Pool' and 'Crime of Passion'...??? wow!!! :O

Anyway I think 'Crime of Passion' would rather have been for 'Crises' as it was written in 1983.

Anyway, although I'm not sure about it 'cos I don't know, I'm almost sure that if 'In the Pool' is not a Discovery track it's only because of Branson's hate for instrumental music... does anybody know a bit more about it???

Anyway (I think I'm the Anyway man) I'm one of those who have voted for 'The Lake' in the poll (not in the pool). It's one of the biggest pieces of music I've ever heard. And 'Discovery would have rated down to the quality of 'Earth Moving' without it. Or maybe a little better...

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 28 2004, 12:21

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 09 2003, 21:04)
Didn't he also say that he wrote MITR right after MS? :)

He said that on a press conference when they were giving him a grilling about is being little more than a Moonlight Shadow rip-off (if ripping of oneself is possible...). I think it's a half truth, said to get them off his back (very similar to the comments he made about fans and piracy - something to shut journalists up, containing grains of reality but not really being the whole story) - yes, he wrote a song called Man In The Rain at around the same time as Moonlight Shadow, and it had the same lyrics, but they've been put to different tunes over the years. I think he probably wanted a Moonlight Shadow clone to put on Tubular Bells 3, went searching in his old ideas box to see what he could find, and pulled out those lyrics. Maybe a few chord ideas came with it, who knows, but it's certainly not the same Man In The Rain tune that Barry Palmer recorded demos of in the 80s.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Nov. 28 2003, 08:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net