[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: ¿Cover official?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ToroAcu Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 04:58

Hello.

In my blog about Mike Oldfield, you can see a possible cover official of Light and Shade: http://www.taurusiv.net/blog

The page when is originally the photo is: http://zm.nu/detalle....d=12426

Bye.
David (ToroAcu).
www.taurusiv.net/blog
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 05:07

That is bloody awful! I HATE IT!

I'd go with your idea ToroAcu, the Sun coming up from behind the Earth, or I think it was Navairo who did one that looks like flames, same colours as this one. Both are better than this. If Mike is going to put his picture on the cover, then it might as well be a good one, and that is a nice picture without the lattice effect, YUK!!!!!!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 05:50

a bit strange :O

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 06:26

What evidence is there that this is the official cover, its awful. I thought the picture at MO.com was the cover. It seems more likely since its the offical site.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 07:36

Oh my goodness(still in shock)I'm not kidding.When I saw the Light & Shade album cover preview? Just hope it won't really end up being this.Scenes of a certain Doctor/cannibal sprang to mind.I'ts so scary and if I were to be confronted by this in my local record store - would have to say "can I have this one without the wrapper please?"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 08:01

It can't be the official one,please!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 08:25

I've seen worse.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 08:40

I've seen better  :p

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 08:43

Looks like Mike put in those special contact lenses that change the colour of your eyes, either that or some nutter did that with computer graphics  :/

It is eyecatching, but in a good way?

Like they say, any publicity is good publicity!  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 08:54

My guess is that the front cover for the new album is similar to the first page you see when you go to www.mikeoldfield.com, with the sunset and pond?  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Trillian Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 09:09

I hope so, The Bell(end). It's a beautiful picture and would look great on an albumcover!

--------------
~*Trillian*~
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 09:19

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 20 2005, 05:07)
That is bloody awful! I HATE IT!

Well, it's funny how we all have different tastes. When I first looked at the cover art, I loved it.  Very striking.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 09:30

Quote (Trillian @ Aug. 20 2005, 14:09)
I hope so, The Bell(end). It's a beautiful picture and would look great on an albumcover!

It most certainly would! Perhaps having Light typed at the top and Shade typed at the bottom with Mike Oldfield written cleverly in mellow 'middle of the range' colours if you get what I mean.

I think this sunset picture looks abit like an inkblot, good symmetry!  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 09:31

no no no it cantbe!!!
Look like hes i jail or something... The text is to small and the design is horrible..He almost look old and sad, and its justn nooot good at all.. This can be the true. I think its something they just have mixed by theyreself. I think they will use some of the design they have on the official side. That 100 % more and better!! I really hope this is an joke..
I dont hope i must close my eyes every time i take out the cd to play it...   :(

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 10:42

i don't like that image either, it's got something that makes me need air. i still prefer to doubt it will be the cover, it doesn't fit what i would have expected after watching the other images at thelongdrop site,  don't know.. and also, shouldn't it be first shown at mikeoldfield.com?

anyway, in this article they seem to be stating this will be the cover. i've just translated this paragraph from the article at the link posted by toroacu:

Mike Oldfield lleva 40 millones de discos vendidos en su carrera y ahora bajo el sello Mercury UK, vuelve con un nuevo disco que representa los dos lados de su personalidad musical: "Light + Shade", del que puedes ver su portada con esta noticia.

Mike Oldfield has sold 40 million records along his career and now, under the label Mercury UK, he's coming back with a double album which pictures both sides of his musical personality: "Light + Shade", of which you can see the cover by this piece of news.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 11:18

Don't worry that horrible image isn't the cover. The Long Drop are doing the cover art, according to their website, and the image at MO.com looks to me stylistically like one of their images so I'm 101% certain the image at MO.com is the final cover.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 11:30

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 20 2005, 11:18)
I'm 101% certain the image at MO.com is the final cover.

well i hope you are really true  :)

or i will call it disaster design

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 11:49

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 20 2005, 11:18)
Don't worry that horrible image isn't the cover. The Long Drop are doing the cover art, according to their website, and the image at MO.com looks to me stylistically like one of their images so I'm 101% certain the image at MO.com is the final cover.

i do like the landscape picture too, the contrast between warm and cold lights is simply beautiful, but i've seen that there is another similar picture in their catalogue, it isn't exactly the same place, though there's water and sky also under such deep contrasted lights and it's built simetrically as well.
when i found that picture, which was used for another album booklet, it seemed to me both pictures belonged to the same series.
i'm not very sure they would use the same idea for two different works by two different artists.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 12:05

I guess maybe Mike saw that other picture and said he wanted one done like it, thats one possible explanation. I'm sure he would have looked through their portfolio before commissioning them. I'm not sure I get hugely excited by either image to be honest. As a semi-professional photoshop artist myself I don't think there's much creative effort involved in getting a pretty landscape photo and mirroring it over. What Trevor Key did with Hergest Ridge, which was in a similar vein, was a million times better IMHO and done long before photoshop. Still this new album cover isn't too bad and I'm keen to see what they do with the rest of the packaging.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 12:39

watching again that new mike's portrait, i see the main problem for me is that the canvas (or iron fence..) pattern is "patched" on mike's face hiding him behind, with his eyes still further behind a thick shade..  maybe in a better quality it will look less sinyster, assuming it would make his eyes visible.
maybe the idea they wanted is something sinyster since he's been working in his own light and dark sides. maybe his mood was dark when he chose that portrait, but if u ask me.. i'd rather wait for a more cheerful moment to choose the inside photos then :D
for the rest of the packaging, it would be great they included some pictures of mike playing the instruments he's used to record the album.

well, as i said somewhere else, what i really hope is the music itself paints a beautiful soundscape to lose ourselves within:)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
42 replies since Aug. 20 2005, 04:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net