Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cover< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Lee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 09 2000, 04:31

Anyone know where the cover photo for Incantations was taken please?
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: May 09 2000, 05:50

Hi Lee !
This is an answer from the FAQ on http://www.carmay.com/ :

"The Incantations cover was photographed on "Cala Galdana". It is a beach on Menorca, one of the Balearic Islands. It is a private beach and not open to the public."

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 20 2001, 19:48

I wanna know if Mike is just stuck on the cover, and not actually there? Looking at the LP it looks very suspect, I only noticed the other day, and the closer I look the more it convinces me he’s just been stuck on.
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2001, 13:05

Somebody in #mike_oldfield (Hispanic-IRC) said me that Inc. cover was taken in Ibiza, but I don't know if really is IN IBIZA or IN MENORCA.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 25 2001, 16:24

I think it's a montage. Was it not done by Trevor Key?

The lighting on Mike looks a lot brighter than the surrounding beach. Maybe there's a bit of extra light from some flashguns, or reflectors or something...I couldn't say for sure, but that's what I think.
Profile PM 
mike fan
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 07 2003, 17:46

Mike Oldfield said in an intervju a time ago that the photo eas taken with him on the beach. He was actually there!
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2003, 23:34

The photo looks real to me. Shame the beach is closed to the public though.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2003, 12:50

He was indeed on the beach - that's been confirmed to me since I wrote that last post. I suspect that the reason it looks like a montage is the result of a darkroom process to change the brightness of Mike in comparison with the rest of the picture (done using a mask which has left the little outline which is visible on the LP cover). I suppose it's also possible that Mike was cut out and stuck back on, so as to change the composition of the picture for the album cover.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2003, 07:39

Yes, those were the old days.... *sigh*

Now you just can use Photoshop, QuarkXpress or Illustrator. ;)
Profile PM 
Punkadiddle Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 17:01

The inside cover was taken in Througham.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 20:08

He looks so different on the cover and on the inside cover.Dunno why.

BTW,Mike said on his first chat last year that he was actually there on Minorca beach.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 16 2003, 08:24

Perhaps the "stuck on" effect has a deep, philosophical meaning. Mike doesn't want to be stuck in the real life. He wants to come out, break free, he wants to enter YOUR world, he wants to enter YOUR life. And that's what he does on Incantations. With the music, he finally enters your life and never leaves.

:laugh:

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Red
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 22 2004, 04:16

I think he's definitely on the cover - you can his shadow! I like the photo a lot, actually. It doesn't interfere with the music. I mean, sometimes an album cover is so bad that it affects how you listen to the music itself. (Bright orange = yuck, for example.) :D

On the subject of the cover, don't you just hate the font on the CD? The original is so much better. Original artwork should always be maintained. ;)

Beautiful, transcendental album.
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2004, 07:19

Yes, you can...though it's not impossible to add a shadow in the darkroom.

Some prints of the album cover show up the slight fringing around Mike clearer than others. Like I said before, I think it's probably the result of Mike having been dodged out in the printing a bit to lighten him off in comparison with the background.

The most interesting thing about it is the sprouting coconut which is only noticeable on the LP cover...
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2004, 08:34

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 23 2004, 07:19)
The most interesting thing about it is the sprouting coconut which is only noticeable on the LP cover...

You mean the thing next to that stick? Never noticed the CD cover was slightly truncated...
And while I agree that ideally the original artwork should be maintained, I always liked the font they used for the CD releases. Unless you mean the font on the back cover which gives the track names etc... that indeed looks a bit dodgy.
Profile PM 
Cloth Ears
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 15:15

I suppose I have to accept that Mike was actually there.  

But find it hard to believe some people don’t think it looks a bit suspicious, what with a noticeable outline around his figure.

Thanks for clearing that up folks
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 15:53

For some reason, the first thing that came to mind in this discussion of whether or not someone was really standing there in the photo was the movie "The Crow".

Brandon Lee was unfortunately murdered during the production of this film. They finished the film anyway, inserting filmed footage of the actor into places where he never appeared. A lot of the footage was taken where he was walking in the rain, and if you look closely, you can see the character in the film in places where it is not raining, but there is rain on the "surface" of the actor's image. Truly a man in the rain.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ethain Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 16:01

It's not Cala Galdana, it's Cala Pregonda, in Menorca. I've got one foto, quite recent:
http://www.137.org/k/Menorca/Cala_Pregonda/10_houses_clear_water.JPG
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 03:23

Just want to add to the "was-he-there-and-was-he-not" discussion; look at this poster: http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/fotos/1825.jpg
There's something looking like an electric wall socket at the bottom of the picture! Draw your own conclusions...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nushky Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 05:19

I always thought this beach to be some wild forlorn place with jagged rocks in a north country, it shows to be actually a nice holiday resort for family and kids ... How disappointing  ;)  !

I think Mike was actually standing on the beach when the photo was taken : look at his feet, they are not flat as on the floor of some studio room but slightly tilted upwards the slope of the beach. Furthermore, If I do remember well from Changeling, it is said that Mike arrived in Majorque with his seminary suit (I suppose the gray jacket/trousers) and that they took the photo on this spot.
Profile PM 
22 replies since May 09 2000, 04:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net