Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cosequences of Indecisions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TheSentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 08 2007, 11:26

I've just come across this little gem of an album from 1981 featuring Pekka Pohjola.  Does anyone have any details on this album.

Listening to it now and it is an LP rip but amazing quality and at the moment fairly "Tangerine Dream" like.

Any more info would be appreciated.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Oct. 08 2007, 12:08

If there is one subject likely to fuel the imagination of Oldfield fans, then the major talking point of the year was the release of an LP that, even today, is still really quite puzzling. In the UK this LP was titled Mathematicians Air Display (V2084) and credited to Pekka Pohjola. Pekka is best remembered as the Finnish bassist used during the early live renditions of Tubular Bells and at first glance it appears that Mike was involved in its recording and production at his Througham studio. The doubt begins when you see the titles used on the overseas releases. Listed below are the various disguises used.

Source: The Official Mike Oldfield Information Service

Recorded at Mikes Studio Througham Slad, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom 22.11. - 05.12.1976 except A1 & B2 at Marcus Music, Stockholm, SwedenTrack Listings

1. Oivallettu Matkalyhty/The Perceived Journey-Lantern /The Sighted Light (5:04)

2. Kädet Suoristavat Veden/Hands Straighten The Water/Hands Calming The Water (4:34)

3. Matemaatikon Lentonäytös/The Mathematician's Air Display (7:25)

4. Pääntaivuttelun Seuraukset/The Consequences Of Head Bending/The Consequences Of Indecisions

Part One: Salumaan Jätetty Kipu/The Pain Left Melting/Time Heals All Wounds (4:30)

5. Part Two: Nykivä Keskustelu Tuntemattoman Kanssa/The Plot Thickens/Comfort With A Stranger (11:21)

6. Varjojen Varaslähtö/False Start Of The Shadows/False Start (1:53)

Total Time: 34:47

Line-up/Musicians
- Pekka Pohjola / bass, piano, string synth, harpsichord, keyboards
+ Vesa Aaltonen / drums (1-5)
- Wlodek Gulgowski / piano, synthesizers (1-5)
- Pierre Moerlen / drums (3-6), percussion (4), glockenspiel (5)
- Mike Oldfield / guitars (2-3-4-5), percussion (5), mandoline & whistle (6)
- Sally Oldfield / voices (2-6)
- George Wadenius / guitar (1-5), percussion (5)

Release information:

PEKKA - THE MATHEMATICIANS AIR DISPLAY
Released in the UK in 1977 on Virgin (V2084)

PEKKA POHJOLA - KEESOJEN LEHTO
Released in 1977 on Love (LRLP 219)

PEKKA POHJOLA - SKUGGORNAS TJUVSTART
Released in 1977 on Love (LRLP 219)

MIKE OLDFIELD, SALLY OLDFIELD / PEKKA POHJOLA
Released in US in 1981 on Love (USLP-1-1101)

MIKE & SALLY OLDFIELD / PEKKA POHJOLA
Released in 1981 on Happy Bird (90096)

MIKE & SALLY OLDFIELD / PEKKA POHJOLA
Released in 1981 in Germany on Rare Bird (BID11002)

MIKE OLDFIELD - THE CONSEQUENCES OF INDECISIONS
Released in 1982 on Happy Bird (90133)

MIKE OLDFIELD - THE CONSEQUENCES OF INDECISIONS
Picture disc as above released in 1982 on Happy Bird (90133)

CD: LRCD 219, released in 1994

There were even rumours that a CD recording was released by Bellaphon in 1982 although there seems little truth in this as the CD didn't become widely available until 1983. The original releases between 1977 and 1982 are, apart from the titles, exactly the same. Mike appears on all the tracks except the first, playing a multitude of instruments which even included a whistle! Musically, the LP bears all the hallmarks of an Oldfield recording and is treasured by all fans who own a copy.

Enough info?

;)
Profile PM 
TheSentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2007, 12:20

Quote (manintherain @ Oct. 08 2007, 12:08)
Musically, the LP bears all the hallmarks of an Oldfield recording and is treasured by all fans who own a copy.

Enough info?  ;)

@ manintherain

WOW!!  All I was expecting was a one or two line reply,  not what you sent through.  A thousand thanks for the info.

I'm fortunate to have a copy of the last example you have shown.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2007, 20:05

I sold my copy of the picture disc, after making an mp3 rip. Sad to see it go, but I was never a "complete-ist" and I didn't really get into Pekka's groove.

But there are moments, sublime as usual, just not enough to keep my attention.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2008, 08:33

The question one has to ask at this point is:who's album is it?Of course it's Pekka's,but why or indeed how could subsequent albums be creditted to Mike/Sally?Pekka of Mike and Sally or even Mike himself.Surely Mr Pohjola is a little miffed to see his album creditted to collaborators(surely a Where Are They Now-anyone know?).
 Come to that though,Mike's 1980 knebworth era band was that era's Gong (except the mysterious Ross Record who appears on Downwind)wholesale.The Moerlins and Hansford Rowe making 3 quaters of Gong at that time.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Oct. 08 2007, 11:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net