Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Composing a Song or Instrumental Piece, Where do I start???< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 10 2008, 09:47

As you may know I've been trying to play the guitar on and off for a number of years, no husband to tell me to shuddup, but now have a boyfriend who encourages me to play  :D . As I'm getting better at playing other peoples songs, I'd thought I'd have a try at composing  my own song , as that's why people pick up the guitar, and I wanted to try and get something down so that I could show my darling boyfriend on Monday (He's looking after me as I'm having an op next week)bless him  :D .  
I had this chord sequence come to me, starts off Am then E and then possibly D and then C, that idea has been whizzing around in my head since yesterday afternoon. I then thought up some lyrics whilst driving my car "Caught in the middle of a.....  I later thought of  "traffic jam" , Yep I know it's a bit crap, but this is my first attempt. Of course my song is subject to change, as it's still  very experimental.  I'm wondering what comes first the lyrics or the song, and where do those of you who are musicians get your ideas from        :/ . I did think of doing a love song, but I thought that Am, E sounded a bit too angry, as this has eneded up as a protest song.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 06:11

OK, let's see... it's a bit of a tricky question really, but I'll try an answer anyway. First, for your question what should come first, music or lyrics - it can be either way really. I find that for me, starting with the music works a lot better, but there are people who prefer the lyrics first approach. Indeed, a set of lyrics already has an inherent music to itself. If you'd like to start with the lyrics, you could try writing them down, then reading them aloud several times - a certain rhythm and possibly even a certain melody will start suggesting itself then.

As for where to get ideas from... again, a tricky question, and I don't want to come up with some cliché really but I find it's true that inspiration sometimes just "strikes", is triggered off by something you see, hear, feel, remember, whatever... however, that is not the only possible way. If you feel you'd like to write about a certain subject, just think about it and try to get "into" the mood. Again, something will probably suggest itself. Do the association game... what does, for example, the traffic jam remind you of? What is it like, or what is it similar to? Is it a symbol, a metaphor for something? I find that once I've got something down, working from there becomes a lot easier.

A certain subject you'd like the song to be about can, however, suggest the musical side of things just as easily. I'll stick with the traffic jam example... what does a traffic jam sound like? How would you "play" a traffic jam, how would you suggest it to people if you had nothing but your guitar to do it? A traffic jam has a certain dynamic to it, obviously... for example, you could have a part where it's going really slowly, with little going on, just like being stuck in the middle of this thing, almost "paralyzed"... that could possibly lead over into a contrasting, loud part that suggests your frustration with the situation, "damn, is this ever going to go anywhere?" Obviously, that is just one of many possible approaches to the subject.

Well, I could go on... just let me know if this was at all helpful to you, and if there's anything in particular you'd like to know more about.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 06:50

Quote (moonchildhippy @ April 10 2008, 09:47)
As you may know I've been trying to play the guitar on and off for a number of years, no husband to tell me to shuddup, but now have a boyfriend who encourages me to play  :D . As I'm getting better at playing other peoples songs, I'd thought I'd have a try at composing  my own song , as that's why people pick up the guitar, and I wanted to try and get something down so that I could show my darling boyfriend on Monday (He's looking after me as I'm having an op next week)bless him  :D .  
I had this chord sequence come to me, starts off Am then E and then possibly D and then C, that idea has been whizzing around in my head since yesterday afternoon. I then thought up some lyrics whilst driving my car "Caught in the middle of a.....  I later thought of  "traffic jam" , Yep I know it's a bit crap, but this is my first attempt. Of course my song is subject to change, as it's still  very experimental.  I'm wondering what comes first the lyrics or the song, and where do those of you who are musicians get your ideas from        :/ . I did think of doing a love song, but I thought that Am, E sounded a bit too angry, as this has eneded up as a protest song.

Well the way I see it is you should just do it the way that feels best to you really as far as lyrics and melodies go anyway.Years ago back in my own "I play music in a band" days,I kind of fancied myself as a bit of a lyricist.Reams and reams of self importantly obsessed bollocks I wrote for what seems like a whole different lifetime away to me now.Of course the main reason why I stuck to the lyrics was because I was the drummer and did`nt have the faintest about chord patterns and structure etc.I was like the Neil Peart of indie/alternative rock in fact.Only completely unheard of outside my own mind/ego.I suppose we ended up writing our songs in a similar way to Difford and Tillbrook,were one guy would write a shedload of words and the other one would put music to the ones he liked.Nowhere near as good of course but it was good fun trying.

Towards the end of the band days I began to get frustrated with that really and ended up trying to do the whole thing myself.So I would kind of sing some sort of melody to some lyrics I`d usually dream up later.And it would then be up to the poor unfortunates in the rest of the band to try and figure out what the hell key I was supposed to be in and which chords to use along to it etc.This is actually very similar to the Reg Presley out The Troggs kind of songwriting.  :D Sounds quite laughable in a way but we actually came out with some real good stuff that way,even if I do say so myself.

Anyway we all went our seperate ways unfortunatly in about 96/97 after about a decade or so together and that was the end of that.Then about four/five years ago not long after I bought my first computer in fact. I started messing about with the whole fruity Loops thing myself even before I knew Mike was using it actually.Well as far as the whole pharoahs and scribes thing goes fruity loops has been so unbelievably liberating for me I can`t put it into words.It`s absolutely fantastic for instrumental stuff,and working out which chord patterns and sequences to use.Even someone like me is now pretty clued up on the amount of times old Mikey boy likes to use that Am and E combination.And all it`s many other configurations of course it`s a real quick learning curve I found.Obviouslly still being a non musician I`m nowhere near as talented as many of the people who post on here.But I think you`ll certainly find something like fruity loops or similar software very beneficial to you.Maybe some of the more experienced dudes will be able to offer you better advice there,as to which kind of software may suit you best..

Anyway it`s great that you`ve got somebody there offering you encouragement which is always a fantastic boost no doubt..And if it feels like your song is "caught up in the middle of a traffic jam" just go for it from there imo.You never know where these things might lead you sometimes?It`s a hell of a lot better than "scrambled eggs!" and that did wonders for that thumbs held aloft fella`. ;)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 12:23

I can give you a lot of advice. I got started as a kid really, just fooling around, but seriously got into building my own studio and learning keys/git simultaneously around 1980. I had a freind who lived in the next apt, how convenient and learned a lot by reading his equipment manuals. Actually if you look at the equipment list on this site and scroll thru Mike's stuff, you'll see an Oberheim DX drum machine photo. That was the first drum machine I ever learned to program(used on Crises I think).
    I don't know your budget, but if all you have right now is a guitar, you might consider buying a few inexpensive "tools". I'd start with "Band in a Box" software. This turns your PC into a very creative tool to jam and compose with. You simply type in chord names.....c, cm, g7....etc. and it generates the drums, bass, piano, or other sounds depending on the style you want it to play in(ballad, rock, country, etc). There is a demo to download and an unlock code if u buy it. Second, you might want to pick up some form of all-in-one keyboard. I don't know what you have, but let's assume it's only a guitar. A Casio for around $200 would be IMMENSELY helpfull if you don't play keys. This also can be jammed with as they have preset rythms and are programmable too. This way you'll learn some keyboard skills, scales, theory and ACCESS TO OTHER SOUNDS(drums, bass, piano, orchestra....everything). You kind of need to know how a chord on a guitar is also played on a keyboard. Not hard with "campfire chords" usually a simple triad. Conversely, you might hit a chord on the Casio that sounds cool to you. Most have a display that shows which keys are being played. You can look at those keys and use them to figure out that chord on git, it also might give it to you....Gm7 or whatever. That in itself can lead to the inspiration part of writing a song. If your playing something with the auto accompany on a Casio with just 2 or 3 fingers, you will get many ideas for songs. Next, and probably most important, you'll need a cheap mixer. Too bad I'm in another country, I have a Eurorack 12ch mixer sitting in a drawer for years I'd give you FOC. This way you can have your git, Casio, a mic or 2.......well, mixed conveniently. Take the main outs to your PC's line in(your gonna want to record your songs yes?) then take your PC's line out to your stereo. Aux in or tape monitor. Now you've got your basic studio for songwriting. All for about....$50-250 for the Casio(if it's used or new), a bare bones mixer on musicians freind dot com will run you as little as $50 for a -tiny- bare bones one. Might as well get a 12 ch mixer and spend the $99 or more for the free shipping. Or add enough spare strings for your git, cables(you'll need a 1/4 inch stereo headphone to two 1/4 inch L/R mono splitter cable for your Casio and a perhaps more as you go along). You can find so much on their site. Hell, one time I got(and I think you still can...) for $20 a decent mic stand and mic. Not bad. I mic'd my acoustic thru it, sounded great.  Sang thru it, sounded great. I guess you see where I'm headed with all this. For less than $200 or about 110 pounds you can go dog nuts. Oops, is your git acoustic? You'l want a Dean Markley pro mag pickup unless it already is "Lectrified". Well I'll save the inspiration ideas for the next post. There are TONS of articles on this stuff on the web. But do yourself a favor and check out at your library a fairly old book: "Making Music" by George Martin(yes, the George Martin). You'll get to see the Fairlight talked about in another thread, used by MO and others years ago, and get basics on sound-on-sound recording which are all needed knowledge today even if your recording on a PC with Cakewalk, Cubase, whatever. I'll get to the inspiration part in a while, my fingers hurt. Hope I'm not boring you, but you can tell I love this sh^&. It's all I do since the '80s. Yeah I know.....keep your day job.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 11 2008, 14:18

The few times I wrote songs with lyrics, I wrote lyrics first. For two reasons: I'm not a good lyric writer, and I'm better at writing melodies than at writing lyrics. So, if I write the "perfect" melody, I'll spend months trying to fit lyrics to them, and the finished result will probably blow. Instead, I come up with a set of lyrics that I like, and then weave the melody around it. I'm really off my area here, but I figure a musician who's better at writing lyrics would come up with the melody first, and then craft the lyrics more heavily. You really got to know your strengths and weaknesses, and you only do it by trying.

I believe the secret to "coming up" with ideas is not trying to find out where they come from. The more you look, the more frustrated you get by not finding it and the less you believe that it is there at all. I think ideas come by themselves, by the accidental, unpredictable, eventual perfect connection between the right braincells and the perfect exchange of chemical reactions and information between them. You can never know: sometimes you try to think of a melody and *poof*, there it is. Sometimes, nothing's there. It's hot it happens to me. I believe it's sort of like what Mike says, that he taps into some unknown world, some external force; except in my case, it's my own, unexplored brain. But then again, with time, you can learn the tricks and devices that work for you, and you'll find shortcuts. It can take time, so the secret is to try incessantly and not care about the failures; or, in fact, CARE about them and give them what they're worth. You learn more with your failures than with your hits.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 14:56

Ok, I got a brewsky and my fingers are mellow once more. An idea for a song can come from anything. Watching your dog play, seeing a picture of the moon, a sign on the wall in a public place, a memory of someone you once knew(or admired from history/movies/TV/etc.......anything at all. "Imagery" is the basis for mostly lyric ideas, you see something and get an idea. Kind of like, Aerosmith played around with an idea for a song. Had a cool sound or "groove" as rappers call it now. Some basic lyrics were written but no idea as to what a "premise" might be for this song. So Steven Tyler heard someone in a public place say, "walk this way". And "Walk This Way" came to be. There are hundreds of stories like that. People Like Robert Plant, Eric Clapton or whomever might be in a bar. Get an idea from interacting/watching. Write an idea down on a napkin and stick it in their pocket. Once recovered from the hangover, pull that paper out of their jacket and........a hit is born. An idea for a song might be inspired by a sound like a preset on a keyboard, or just an effects device. Case in point: once I took a fairly staccato keyboard preset on my Oberheim Matrix 1000 and gave it an extreme "stereo wide generation" effect. Like....90% wet. It sounded so cool I built a whole song around that effect. Other songs are a great inspiration but don't plagerize anyone. Case in point: one time long ago a guy who owned a bar heard a tape of stuff I had done. Got the idea to get this bass player/singer freind of his to get together with me and all my drum machine/sequencer toys and do a live show in his bar. Never happened. The vast majority of musicians....at least non-proffesional are not trustworthy at all. Many use drugs or whatever.....just flaky mo-fo's who might not show up for the gig. But, the bar owner John, said "you ought to go home and try to program some older classic rock songs. Listen to the record and copy it as closely as you can, then eventually you'll have a bunch of songs". Okay...........so I went home. I figure, this is Texas. So I got out an old ZZ-Top album and listened to "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers".  I copied the drums and bass as closely as I could. Not hard as the song was so simple. And as my "sidekick" never showed up, I continued on with MY project. The drums, everything, got perverted into something else. It ended up sounding like the Moody Blues with a kind of Doors ending. Tempo speeding up like a whirling dervish at the end with a hyperactive accordian. The first Gulf War had just started, I was scared as hell, and put in the sound effect of fighter planes "diving" on a target and called it "Sorties". So now you can see the various and sundry ways imagination writes both lyrics and music. Imagination/imagery/observation. No rules apply, it's all freedom to express yourself. One thing -my oppinion only-, don't use loop based software unless you intend to record your own instruments. Sony Acid, Fruity Loops, whatever. This software was born out of rap. They make good digital multitrack software for a PC, but if you use/rip/copy other people's loops and samples......well that's not your music is it? If you ever use loop-based software, use it to record your own ideas. They make nice PC multitrack recorders(if used right but make your own loops/samples).  Have fun..........
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 14:57

I never managed to write any songs that I felt happy with (because basically I have no talent for song composition), so it would be absurd to give any advice of my own. But there's no reason why I can't offer the advice of someone else - namely, Ted Hughes. His advice is about writing poetry, but I use it myself when writing prose, and it will do just as well for writing lyrics. His tip is very simple in essence - not so easy in practice.

What you do, he says, is don't think about the words. Think about the subject. Let the subject fill your imagination. Concentrate on that - and sooner or later words will come unbidden. If they do, write them down, whatever they are. Don't worry if they make no sense - just let your subconscious produce them. You can tinker with them later - for now, just let out anything that comes.

I'd guess that if you set your chord sequence going, you may find that while you're playing it, with your mind occupied by the subject or situation of the song, words pop out. Use them. Maybe even the subject will change, naturally driven by the music. That's OK - go with that. Don't rationalise it - just accept what emerges for now, and then see what you've got at the end. Even if it looks like nonsense, you may well find you can use some of it.

The only songs I ever wrote that seemed even halfway satisfactory came like that - words coming from nowhere to fit the guitar sequence I was playing while thinking about a situation or subject. (And a lot of my prose writing is done the same way - it works just the same, except there's no tune, of course.)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 15:50

Exactly Alan D. Do this. But as you are on tubular.net it is logical to assume you don't want to be just a guitar and voice. Your here cuz you like MO. There are 2 aspects to musical ability, 1:Technical and 2: Expressive. Any PHD in music can give you a lecture on this. A person with "technical" music prowess could either A: be the king of a thousand overdubs or B: Play guitar so fast it sounds like it's farting, but have no meaningful/melodic content. "Technical" refers to more dexterity and fast learning of musical parts or the recording thereof. "Expresive" ability refers to more melodic/emotional genious thinking revolving around melodies and emotionally moving music. Do a search on John Sloboda PHD and read about this. MO had both. He could engineer an album with many overdubs and as the years went by, technically got faster and more precise at guitar(mainly). His melodies...HR and Ommadawn...wipe out the recording/technical process.....the melodies are mind-bendingly great. That's "Expressive abilities". You might be a Joe Satriani or a Paco DeLucia and can make a guitar fart, that's technical ability. Another example would be Eddie Van Halen. Its not the recording process but the way you input/export musical data from your brain. You can slip as MO did in some of his technical/computer phases as with Songs of Distant Earth or Light+Shade and see Technical expression. But HR and Incanations have them both(MO is both Technical and Expressive here). This is worthy of study if you wanna write music.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 18:50

Thanks guys, I'd thought that I might try composing my own piece(s) for fun, just to prove that I could do it.  I've always had a desire to play music, be it me learning other people's or trying to compose my own.  I wouldn't say that I'm by any means a musician , well I'd like to be.  MY ability on a guitar is a bit basic, but I'd just like to write a song to prove that I can do it, and once I've written one this might spur me on to compose more.  I know a couple of peeps with recording software, so I could ask them to lay down my music.

It's quite interesting, Did Steve Tyler come up with "Walk This Way" after hearing someone speakk that phrase in a public place.   I understand "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" came to Freddie Mercury at 3am one morning, when he was staying in the Munich Hilton, and I gather Mike came up with  much of Hergest Ridge whilst walking upon Hergest Ridge  :)  :D .

I would say the music I'd try and create is rock , from ballads through to heavy, and with some folk or blues for good measure.
I agree with you Jim about guitarists falling into either the technical or expressive camp . I've tried listening to Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, apart from a few songs by JS I don't really enjoy that music.  Van Halen can play and |I do like quite a few  of their songs, but Eddie van Halen's guitar wizardry is good the speed at which he can play but it doesn't do as much for me as a guitarist who plays expressively.  I first heard Queen Live Killers when I was about 13, I love Queen   :D, and Brian May's  "Brighton Rock" guitar solo still make's me think WOW!!!!, like so many Queen moments, and also much of Dave Gilmour's playing , as does  Led Zeps Dazed and Confused, and also Mike's screaming guitar climax to Ommadawn Part 1, I think here it's building, he's going to explode, and then it getsd more intense, and when you think Mike can't build the anticipation, he builds it some more, until this explosive climatic ending.

Alan , I did try and write  poetry, I know one of my poems was published in the school magazine one year, (I wonder if my Mum still has it).  I've often thought about things that make me angry, such as injustice, or child abuse, domestic violence etc, also things that make me happy, sunshine, freedom, love etc.   I did want to try and compose a love song for next time I see my boyfriend, but I've got until monday to get something down      :O . I've thought about frustrations in life , maybe my treaffic jam is a metaphor when things seem to go right there's an obstacle in the way, but yes it's something that can be overcome.
Sometimes I wish I could compose a musical masterpiece or have the wisdom to write a literary masterpiece such as Tolkien did with Lord Of The Rings  :) .  I've been to Sarehole Mill/Moseley Bog ,  (inspired The Mill/ Old Forest in LOTR) in Mosely area of Birmingham , once a l village in Warwickshire , before Birmingham began to expand outwards from the centre, c 1920's. I've also been to Hergest Ridge and had some of what I consider some of my greatest ideas (not musical) there. Again inspiration can also come from the most mudane everyday things.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 21:38

[quote=Sir Mustapha,April 11 2008, 14:18][/quote]
I believe the secret to "coming up" with ideas is not trying to find out where they come from. The more you look, the more frustrated you get by not finding it and the less you believe that it is there at all. I think ideas come by themselves, by the accidental, unpredictable, eventual perfect connection between the right braincells and the perfect exchange of chemical reactions and information between them. You can never know: sometimes you try to think of a melody and *poof*, there it is. Sometimes, nothing's there. It's hot it happens to me. I believe it's sort of like what Mike says, that he taps into some unknown world, some external force; except in my case, it's my own, unexplored brain. But then again, with time, you can learn the tricks and devices that work for you, and you'll find shortcuts. It can take time, so the secret is to try incessantly and not care about the failures; or, in fact, CARE about them and give them what they're worth. You learn more with your failures than with your hits.

Well that`s just about everything in a nutshell for me absolutely bang on.No matter how much you can learn about music theory or other peoples systems of writing songs,their chords,scales and rhythems etc.Imo the best creativity can only come from making mistakes and learning to be your own self editor so`s to speak.Obviouslly it helps to have some sort of ground base to work from.But don`t let that ground base keep you grounded because the great thing about making music is that all the rules are there to be tested,pushed and broken.
Inspiration for music,lyrics or even just the titles themselves can come from absolutely anywhere in my experience.Usually for me I would either get the melody or the idea and title first, and then the lyrics would be secondary.Sometimes I would think of a melody or hook and just sing a load of lyrical nonsense to it.And then from that I  would get a fairly good idea of what rhythems rhymes and syllaballes were in there.Somtimes I`d maybe stumble across the title or the whole concept of the song purely from whatever jibberish was coming out of my head.Once you get into the habit of trying to write songs you tend to find yourself mentally filing stuff away without realising.So it can be anything from a mis-heard phrase to an ambigous metaphor that you maybe identified with.And then from out of your own kind of self exploration and trial and error,you`ll come out with stuff you maybe thought was`nt there inside you.And the whole excited  buzz you can get when you realise your onto something great is truly worth striving for no doubt about it.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 15 2008, 07:42

Hi.I have only just really started to write songs after 24 years of playing,I say only just but i've now got a band where i can use my ideas.Last night we were playing about with a few ideas and Steve our keyboard/acoustic guitarist came up with a beautiful chord progresion.He also had some lyrics.Neither was written for the other but when Jodie,our singer,came iup with the melody it seemed to fit perfectly.I asked Steve where the chords had come from.Turned out to be from his Dad who passed away about 5 years ago.He was a very talented folk musician but never really used the  progression.It took a lot of soul searching on Steve's part as to wether he could use the progression and graft it onto new lyrics but he decided his dad would of approved.Not exactly in line with the thread but i thought i'd share is as i found it a very moving way to compose a song,

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 19:08

I've been thinking about this topic and maybe ideas will come to me when I least expect them.
AS Scatterplot said Aerosmith's Steve Tyler came up with "Walk This Way" after hearing someone say those words in a public place. I do believe he came up with "Dude (Looks Like A Lady) after an encounter with a transvestite in a bar, as did Ray Davies of The Kinks with "Lola".
I'm nuts about Queen and I believe the Late Great Freddie Mercury came up with "My Fairy King" or "March Of The Black Queen" after reading Tolkien. Brian May's "White Queen (As It Began)" I believe was about a relationship break up.
The Stones' "Street Fighting Man" perfectly captured the civil unrest in parts of the world in 1968. The vastly underrated Edgar Broughton Band were popular on the free festival circuit, and so many of their lyrics highlighted what they considered to be injustices in the world.
Coming  back from the hospital on Wednesday,( I was in for minor day surgery, I think I must've had tubes coming out of virtually  every opening in me, and the only tubular thing I really wanted to be connected to was Tubular Bells   :laugh: ) in my boyfriend's car I turned on the stereo , and he had an Eminem CD in the player (we both on the whole like rock music). I know Eminem is  not exactly chilled out music post op, but we were both listening and enjoying it   :cool:.  As far as Rap/Hip Hop  music goes it's not a genre I really enjoy on the whole, but we both think Eminem is the greatest Rap artist of all time, and he is a great lyricst.    I know he has been accused of being homophobic or mysoginistic, or promoting violence, but to perform a song with Elton John is hardly the sign of a homophobe.  I know his lyrics are often misrepresented as advocating  violence, but I do believe upon listening his lyrics are anti violence.  I do think he writes from personal experience, or speaks of (teenage)  angst, Idon't know for sure but I get the impression that maybe his father was violent towards his mother, and that is a horrible thing to witness.
If I listen to the lyrics to his song "Stan" that can often bring a tear to my eye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWgEcOLYzXU

Whilst I'm on the subject of Eminem/rap music I know he did "Sing For The Moment" which was a cover of Aerosmith's "Dream On"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12wvV39aFc4
which features sampling of Steve Tyler's vocals and a guest appearance of Joe Perry :cool: (unlike Yngwie Malmsteem's and Ronnie James Dio's murdering of the song, I don't like either YM or RJD).

Aerosmith's original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNzEQ8hG1zA

Oh yes not forgetting the collaboration by Aerosmith and Run DMC on Walk This Way , I loved that song when I first heard it and still do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8A0rhVG91U&feature=related

Maybe sampling with the original artist's permission is the greatest  respect.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
11 replies since April 10 2008, 09:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net