Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Complete Ommadawn Rerecording, The whole album.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tommes Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 24 2003, 15:31

Hi Folks.

After a long time I am back.
I made an Ommadawn Rerecording from the whole album, but instead of "On Horseback" I've made a single called "Ommadawnea".

The album includes parts with a real Bagpipe-player, a real Opera-singer and a real Viola-player.

In fact it is a complete album, I decided to make a nice CD cover.

CD Cover Thumbnail (Full CD Cover, RAR including Front, Back and Label, ~1.3 MB)

Download tracks:
Part One (~17 MB)
Part Two (~12.5 MB)
Ommadawnea (~3.3 MB)

Hope you will enjoy the sounds and feel free to post your comments.

Thx to jotbe-fx.de for hosting the tracks!
Profile PM 
ktran
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 24 2003, 17:04

Good Sir,

You're sick.

Holy f-cking sh-t!! Quite the undertaking, and quite the accomplishment. I'm not surprised that you "disappeared" for some time while recording this. There are flaws and mistakes (timing, intonation, etc...) here and there, but I'm very very impressed.

In fact, my jaw dropped to the floor even reading your post. Thanks for the music.

rgds,

Khoa Tran

p.s. I loved your "Incantations Remixed," btw
Down Under Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 02:13

I downloaded it, and what I've listened to so far sounds really good.  I have a problem with the covers, though.  The back is OK, but the front and label cannot be opened.  For example, Microsoft PhotoEditor simply says "cannot open file" when I press these 2 to open them.  Stangely, the back one opens up.  Tommes, can you look into this for us?
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 07:53

hi
thumbs up - both of them
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 08:01

I hope you'll make rerecording of more MO - what is your next project?
Profile PM 
tommes Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 10:03

Well, I´m now into the plans for a self-composed
Album, which will be ready sometime next year.
Maybe there will be a small Website in the next time, too.
Between this activities it can be possible to make other
"Oldfield-Cover", but I do not know which Track it can be.
Do you have an idea ?    (give it to me...)

Tommes
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 18:07

As I told you by email, I'm also : impressed, amazed, enthousiast, happy, etc.

When will you be playing live ?

:music:

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Jamie S Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 10:05

Wow -  very impressive. Good luck with any future projects and may they be as good as this! :)
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 03 2003, 11:10

Do you have an idea ?

How about the songs of distant earth? It's melodically not as complicated as Ommadawn, what can be conveniant. You might be able to avoid the mistakes you've made with Ommadawn then, which were actually a bit numerous, to be honest. I'd really like to see you doing TSODE, and with your patience (I mean, Ommadawn!!...) that isn't a problem too big.

And I'd like to add that I like the 'flangy sound' at the background of the beginning of part 2. IMO that improves Mike's heavy-on-the-ears background sound.
Furthermore your Ommadawnea is not a bad idea. A nice little variation on the ommadawn themes. But you really should have given it a decent ending though! :D

Good job, tommes!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
g.r.
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 18 2004, 06:27

This sounds fantastic.Your guitar-playing is absolutely incredible, go on to make more music.

greetings, g.r.
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 18 2004, 06:38

well i havent listened to all of it yet, but damn impressive work and your patient is admirable.
good luck in the future. so far it is amazing.
UV
Profile PM 
Greg
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2004, 06:44

Really good work, but i think that you should make it on acoustic instruments. There are mostly electronic.. and it makes that music, not live...
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: April 12 2004, 07:11

Maybe he didn't make it with acoustic instruments because he _doesn't have any_.  :O

Even if he does though, I don't think it needs to be acoustic. Sure acoustics are nice but he's done a fine job with electronic ones.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 12 2004, 10:30

Perhaps it's time I joined in (hey, it's only been 6 months! :D)

I'd have to agree that this is impressive in its scale, and that it's a brave man who decides to tackle recording a version of the whole of an album such as Ommadawn!

Do I agree that it would have been better with more acoustic instruments? That I'm not sure of - Ommadawn was certainly a very careful blend of acoustic and electronic instruments. I do think that balance can be changed withot necessarily harming the music, though.

I'd personally have chosen some different sounds in places though, and used resources differently. Like, for example, at the beginning, I'd have made use of that opera singer to do some vocal harmonies to fatten out the otherwise rather thin synth choir sound (and if there are already live vocals in there, then bring them forward! ) and the viola player in that part around 1:15. Some male vocals in the mix could have been interesting...

I have to say I find the 'recorder' at 4:24 rather painful, it seems to have some rather odd out of tune overtones. You might not find the part hard to play on a real recorder, basic plastic ones aren't that expensive and would sound more pleasing to my ears, if used carefully (the trick is in the way they're blown, I won't explain here but you ought to be able to find a guide online somewhere and if not, in a local music shop).

The solo at 9:55...a tricky one...you've got the notes but it would have more impact if the timing was tighter. Seeing as so much work must have gone into the rest of this, it would have been worth working on that section until it was completely right, I'd have thought.

It's nice when the real vocals do come in, but it would be good if they were further forward - not necessarily louder, just less buried in reverb/delay...do I hear a vocal harmony in there? My choice would have been for a three part harmony, and more dry sounding, for a powerful feel.

Not sure about the beginning of Part Two...I see the idea, making it more barren and empty sounding, but I can't help but miss some of the texture that Mike's rendition had. I think it would add more interest if the guitar was placed nearer to the listener by using less reverb, otherwise everything is very far away.

I find the acoustic guitar section after that a bit odd too - the guitar samples seem to include fret buzz, which does add some realism when there's a little of it, when there's so much that the note doesn't sound properly, and the note's used repeatedly with it buzzig the same way each time, it sounds very unmusical to me (and instantly gives away that they're samples). The bagpipes sound lovely, but I'd again bring them closer, otherwise it's all like listening to the musicians playing in the next room rather than being sat there with them.

I personally miss the recorder and the melody it plays in the section after that one - I think even if the guitar played that melody instead of the harmony it does play, I'd prefer it...but if you like it that way then I'll just have to accept that!

Again in the final section, I'd knock back the reverb on the guitar to give it a bit more authority in the mix. Perhaps I'm missing the point here, it does seem like you were aiming for a more 'new age' feel to the whole recording, I just can't help but feel the music is too distant to reach out and touch it in the way I'd like to...

I think Ommadawnea is probably my favourite part, though I'm not sure how it works in place of On Horseback - perhaps it's just disturbing because it's not what I'm used to hearing there. It's a nice reworking of the themes into the single format, though.

So, maybe you won't agree with any of this, and if not, that's just fine - keep going your own way and enjoying it and forget about people like me who don't agree with all of your decisions. But I feel it's always worth thinking about all these things I've talked about when making music, especially that issue of reverb and the distance it creates. Keep going and have fun!
Profile PM 
Pachatantra Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2004, 11:01

Good job!

It's like the original ones!

--------------
[img]http://www.img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/Pachatantra/ban/ladyof.jpg[/img]
Profile PM WEB 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2004, 13:56

wth didn't I already reply to this topic?

anyway, many many thx for this absolutely great interpretation of one of my fav. M.O.-tunes ever.
U perfectly understood and implemented what Ommadawn is and was....
Applause!

Thx again,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Ecco Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2004, 17:26

Absolutely wonderful work ! And the sound quality is excellent to boot.
:)

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
terry2 Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2004, 14:13

All I can say is fantastic. The effort you put into this was well worth it.
I’m so impressed I can’t tell you.
All the best
Terry
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 21:18

This is an excellent example of an unidentified track. It's nice to know who did it, especially ones like this, so you can thank them!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
MBL
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 21 2005, 08:34

Hello, superbe travail, félicitation, je suis scotché!!!!
J'espère t'entendre a nouveau bientôt [I]
31 replies since Oct. 24 2003, 15:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net