Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Compilation Album - Good idea?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Zanny Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 15 2004, 07:53

Hi everyone

Well Ive downloaded a few of these covers/mixes and think they are very good indeed (I particularly like Amarok Medley by Allan Naeslund).

My thoughts....Some of these links are already going dead and it would be nice to preserve these tracks (at the very minimum at leat the good ones).

Looks like there might be enough good material to do a double album.

So how would the original artists feel about me making up a double cd album (just folders with the right amount of mp3's in to make a double cd album) plus maybe a cool album cover and distribute it via bittorrent.  That way once a few people have the compliation with a more reliable connection than me (i can only be online about 12 hours a day, kids like to turn pc off when im not around ;) ) it will become self perpetuating as long as at least one person trys to host the file.

So good idea or not?
Profile PM 
Zanny Offline

Posted: May 15 2004, 08:00

Of course all original artists will recieve full credit.

While im at it I have a email address with unlimited space :)

SO any lost tracks eg dead links that people might have if theyve got them could be emailed to me.

Anyway just a few thoughts.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 15 2004, 10:23

So this would be like Static 20, then ;). I like the idea. I think the name should have something to do with Finale and have Finale be the main track of the compilation, since IMO it's the best and a collaboration of everyone.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 15 2004, 11:12

I'm not against the idea at all but I would suggest that you get the agreement of each artist whose work you plan to include individually.

I think it would also be more interesting to do as with Static 18 and 19 and have people distribute them as CDs.

Another thing - the Amarok covers like Allan's were intended for a CD which hasn't yet been produced. The idea's probably been dropped, but it would be best to check that first.
Profile PM 
Zanny Offline

Posted: May 15 2004, 11:58

Cheers for the info guys, now to find out what you mean by static 18 and 19...
Profile PM 
Zanny Offline

Posted: May 15 2004, 12:05

One main reason I feel bittorrent may be the way to go is purely budget and demographics.  Lets face it if we make a few cd's with cover and give them away how many people will hear the material, 10 , 20? You get the idea.  At least with bittorrent your covering the entire globe and anyone can download it then.  Also Im sure Ill be able to find a legit tracker so it wont have to end up in the midst of more Illegal material.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 15 2004, 13:27

Not quite sure I understand you about how to distribute the compilation album, but I think it's a good idea. Alternatively it could be put on a reliable server somewhere

Where is this Amarok medley by Allan? I couldn't seem to find anything posted by him on the Covers forum
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 15 2004, 14:54

I don't know how many copies of Static 18/19 are out there, but it's certainly more than 20, I'd think somewhere in the hundreds. Depends what the point of the exercise is, though.
Static 18/19 are/were exactly the kind of thing you're talking about - CD compilations of fan covers.

To be honest, I don't see an awful lot of point in an internet distributed compilation, other than that it gathers everything in one place - the stuff's already available on the net, after all. I suppose it depends how concerned people are about getting their work heard by the maximum number of people possible.

More interesting would be to do as was the case with Static 18 (and the Amarok CD I mentioned) and commission an entirely new set of tracks, either for electronic or physical distribution.

Jammer: If you can't find anything by Allan, you're not looking hard enough ;). It's here.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 15 2004, 18:05

Thanks. I need glasses :cool:
Profile PM 
Zanny Offline

Posted: May 19 2004, 15:26

Well Im gonna keep at it , trying to get all the fan tracks i can find.

Firstly Im gonna to do a couple of cd's with the better stuff on for 1 friend and 1 im going to play in my store (im a manager for a computer/console retail store).

2 tracks im trying to get (already links are failing :( ) are "Songs of Hergest Ridge" by Mat Cochrane and "Five Miles Out" by Cambridge.

Dont suppose any good soul with the missing tracks could email me them????

zannyNOSPAM@RoloNOSPAM.net

u can guess which bits of the above email addy you need to remove im sure  :cool:
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 19 2004, 17:14

As I said before, ask the artists for the tracks.

I know we're on dodgy territory as Mike hasn't been asked for permission in most cases (Finale excepted) but I think it's only courtesy to ask them to make sure it's ok to put their work on your compilation and, if the link's broken, it may be that they've taken the file down because they no longer want to distribute it.

This goes even more so for playing it in your store, as legally speaking, that's public broadcasting (it's also a commercial environment...you could find yourself on extremely dodgy ground if anyone took offence to your using their work, as it goes beyond the personal use for which the musicians here are making their work available).

I'm not trying to stand in your way, but I am trying to avoid upset and conflict.

You can contact members by private message if they're still active here, or you can send them email by using the email link at the bottom of their posts.

Better still, why don't we use this topic, or open another, to ask who'd like to be included? You might find that people will do something special for you, and you could also find that when asked, people will provide you with a better quality file than that available for download (which may have be of lower quality due to space/bandwidth constraints).

Cooperation is definitely the way to go if you ask me :).
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: May 20 2004, 08:53

You can use any of my covers you like. Just tell me which ones you're using.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 20 2004, 09:17

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ May 20 2004, 14:53)
You can use any of my covers you like. Just tell me which ones you're using.

same with mine :)´

my guess is you will want to use Pacha Mama heheh...and maybe the newest one ;) but you can take any of them...just tell me which ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Zanny Offline

Posted: May 20 2004, 15:59

thanks guys especially booster and mr inspired.  Booster Im glad youve said yes without some of your music id barely have enough for 1 decent cd.  Lets face it i had to look through some older posts just to find more non Booster tracks otherwise 50% of the album would be composed by booster ;)

Once ive finalised which tracks id like to use I shall message the concerned parties.  If youd like I will publish a list of tracks I want to use as well and even the order I want to put them in.

Korg dont worry I wont tread on anyones toes, I dont want to annoy any of the artists.

I know im new to this community but being a fairly old school mike fan (about 18 years since i first heard one of his albums and thought wow) I was amazed at just how good these fan made tracks really are.  

You musicians are very talented the most ive ever managed was singer in a heavy metal uni band :)  I just think your music deserves a wider audience.  I used to do internet DJing and if I ever take it up again playing some of this stuff over internet radio would be cool as well.

If I go with the bittorrent way of internet distribution id appriciate it if as many of you as possible could download it.  The more people with the full files the faster it will become for people to download it.

Anyway thats todays random thoughts.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 20 2004, 16:19

Quote (Zanny @ May 20 2004, 21:59)
thanks guys especially booster and mr inspired.  Booster Im glad youve said yes without some of your music id barely have enough for 1 decent cd.  Lets face it i had to look through some older posts just to find more non Booster tracks otherwise 50% of the album would be composed by booster ;)

lol...why not anyway?  :D
which of them you wanna use? ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Zanny Offline

Posted: May 20 2004, 16:59

Well ive had a good listen to everything ive downloaded so far but Im really going to sort out the good from the average probably tomorrow (got 2 days off woohoo).  Put it this way if im going to be doing a double album your version of Ommadawn "Ommadawn 2003" is a cert if thats ok.  No offence to tommes but for me I prefer your version.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 21 2004, 05:23

heheh as you like ...glad you like it ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
16 replies since May 15 2004, 07:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net