Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Collaborations with David Bedford< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 26 2002, 16:30

What is everyones views apon David Bedfords work and his collaborations with Oldfield.
I think the blending of styles is very interesting. Strangely enough i actually think although D Bedford is predominantly avant guard his music is very simmilar to Mikes.
A few questions;
*does anyone know if Bedford composed the guitar parts entirely himself? (I think i hear Oldfield-isms)
*Has Oldfield said anything about working with Bedford in the past?
Profile PM 
andjel1 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2002, 20:49

I think you are right,Mike`s and David`s style is very similar,and David Bedford is also great musitian.I dont know answers on your questions.Did you hear some Bedford`s album?
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 28 2002, 08:01

hi! I'm fairly sure that David gave Mike the opportunity to write his own guitar parts - I think there's something in the Boxed booklet about how Mike wrote the guitar for David's music...otherwise why employ Mike to perform someone elses music? I imagine that David trusted Mike's judgement in being able to match the feel for his music with his playing, and David is a composer/conductor, I don't think he plays guitar himself, so if he did have input it would be very limited and something that Mike could improvise upon...maybe it would be worth looking through the articles in the archive on this site - I'm sure that there'll be info there (I'm just gonna check it out myself because this is an interesting question!!!)

BTW, did anyone hear David's 'The Sultan's Turret' premiere on radio in 2000? Extraordinary stuff smile
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 03:57

i've heard of a song title called "Variations on a theme by Mike Oldfield", was this by David Bedford?

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 21 2002, 13:24

Yes, I believe that 'Variations on a rhythm by Mike Oldfield' was David Bedford's brainchild. It expands upon a rhythm found in Tubular Bells.

It's interesting, listening to David Bedford's orchestral works, to hear how much of him went into his arrangements of Mike Oldfield's music (hearing his piece 'The City and the Stars', I heard similarities to the orchestral work on The Killing Fields).
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 26 2002, 16:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net