Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Chorus-effect< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Anders Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 02:19

I wonder if it's possible to get the very "thick" chorus-sound of Mike's guitar (on "Exposed) with a Roland JC-120 amp?

Anders
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 04:30

Hey Anders, welcome to the board!

I can't say conclusively, but the Boss CE1 chorus was very popular at the time (though from what I can gather, the CE2 was released that year) and Mike may well have been using one of those. If that's the case, the JC-120's chorus is a close relative of that, so you stand a fair chance of getting a similar kind of chorus.

Mike was using a Fender Twin Reverb at the time for clean sounds. It's a little while since I played through either one of those or a JC-120, so I can't be too detailed in my description, but I would say that there will be a bit of a difference in the way the chorus comes across through the two. The JC-120 is really a lot cleaner sounding than the Fender - possibly an advantage with the Mike Oldfield type of sound, as he often goes for very pure clean sounds in the studio. The Fender has a kind of glassiness to it though, and I think that's a factor in the Exposed sound. Another factor, of course, is that maple bodied L6-S guitar, which has got quite a sparkly kind of sound when played clean.

Still, I'd think that a bit of fiddling with a JC-120 ought to get you somewhere not too far away from that sound.
Profile PM 
Anders Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 23 2006, 06:54

Thanks for the answear, Korgscrew.

You're absolutely right about the CE-1. By looking on one of the photographs on the inside cover of "Exposed"-vinyl (where you can see the stagefloor), you can see that Mike is using a CE-1. He also uses a black pedal, but I don't know what it is (looks like a volume pedal).

Nico Ramsden also got one (a CE-1), but his sound is different (listen to his bar-chords in Tubular bells part 2, in the part before Sailor's hornpipe).

By the way, I've also been watching the Exposed DVD, but I can't see any guitar amp at all.

Anders

so that Mike is using a Gibson L6-S probably
Profile PM 
2 replies since Jan. 19 2006, 02:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net