Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Changeling< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Michael Hilton Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2010, 00:08

Just reading a passage in Mikes autobiography "on family",facinating book by the way.But i was interested in the last page describing the mix of cultures and how to balance the chemistry.I myself am a mix of english,irish and can relate to what was said,my wife also.I've always been interested in what makes people tik, and if we are hard-wired from birth and how lifes influences affect us.My son, to a previous relationship is a mix of spanish,english and irish.My Mother, a decendant from wuthering heights leans on my emotional side,my Father the silent irish type clams me up!.I'd be interested in other peoples views on this,and the mix of cultures in your geneology and how it affects you.ps not a psychology test,just facinated on the subject.cheers... michael.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 16 2010, 06:29

Quote (Michael Hilton @ May 16 2010, 00:08)
My Mother, a decendant from wuthering heights leans on my emotional side,my Father the silent irish type clams me up!

Hi Michael.

When you say your mum's from wuthering heights - do you mean your mum's from Haworth, where the Bronte sisters lived? I live close to those moors.  

Being from both catholic Irish (mum's side) and British (dad's side) cultures, I could relate to Changeling.  My mum seemed reticent to talk about her Irish roots, I wondered if it was a shame thing, but I was glad and relieved she did - it made more sense in terms of my own identity.

There are characteristis that seem distinctly or subtly different - the Irish being relatively classless, unconcerned with hierarchy, take people as they find them, open, passionate, emotional, ... The British on the other hand - generally more reserved, stiff upper lip - keeping it all in. Both known for a sense of humour - dry and observational. The Irish emphasise story telling and jokes, the British, more ironic, and sarcastic. Other cultures, like the Americas don't always get the dead-pan humour.

I work as a therapist - and I'm sure that's the Irish in me - equivalent to a Taro card or tea-leaf reader in a previous existence, and I like a good story  :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 16 2010, 08:47

Quote (wiga @ May 16 2010, 06:29)
There are characteristis that seem distinctly or subtly different - the Irish being relatively classless, unconcerned with hierarchy, take people as they find them, open, passionate, emotional, ... The British on the other hand - generally more reserved, stiff upper lip - keeping it all in. Both known for a sense of humour - dry and observational. The Irish emphasise story telling and jokes, the British, more ironic, and sarcastic. Other cultures, like the Americas don't always get the dead-pan humour.

What about people from the Isle of Man, Wiga?  :)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 16 2010, 15:06

Nightspore - I don't really know, do you have descendents from there?

I have a good friend from the Isle of Man and she talks of a strong sense of community and fraternity on the Island - very democratic. I was suprised when she said everyone knew each other. It's stuck in the middle of the Irish sea, close to Northumberland and Scotland - so probably a combination of all three cultures. I met her when we both worked in Manchester, and she seemed very Mancunian in a lot of ways - down to earth, no-nonsense, good sense of humour, but I think deep down she hankered for home, and worried about her mother who was a bit of a depressive and dad who had heart problems....

--------------
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: May 17 2010, 01:55

Hi wiga,in reply to your question,my apologies,yes i did mean haworth.I dont know how much truth is in this gothic tale of romance, being fictional.To be honest i've only glanced at the book i have'nt actually read it,i had always thought wuthering heights was the name of a village, or the moors around haworth,not the name of the residence where it all supposedly took place...correct me if i'm wrong.

However,my mother did have some connection or involvment with the names mentioned in the book exactly what, when and why i'm not sure,much later in the 40s & 50s. I've never had the opportunity to ask her as she sadly passed away when i was young.I have fond memories of england,the moors and the snow,it's sunshine 24/7 here in oz, ha...well almost.Thanks for your reply...michael
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 17 2010, 07:31

Quote (wiga @ May 16 2010, 15:06)
Nightspore - I don't really know, do you have descendents from there?

I have a good friend from the Isle of Man and she talks of a strong sense of community and fraternity on the Island - very democratic. I was suprised when she said everyone knew each other. It's stuck in the middle of the Irish sea, close to Northumberland and Scotland - so probably a combination of all three cultures. I met her when we both worked in Manchester, and she seemed very Mancunian in a lot of ways - down to earth, no-nonsense, good sense of humour, but I think deep down she hankered for home, and worried about her mother who was a bit of a depressive and dad who had heart problems....

Hi Wiga, no... The reason I asked the question was because, as you suggest, it's "between" Ireland and Scotland. It's a place I've always wanted to visit. One odd thing about it, I believe, is that Manx surnames begin either with a C, a K, or a Q (eg the writer Nigel Kneale).
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 17 2010, 12:49

Michael - So you have Haworth in your blood!! I love the place.

The Earnshaws residence in the book - "Wuthering Heights" was apparently situated at  Top Withens.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 17 2010, 13:59

Nightspore - There's only a handful of Manx surnames to choose from I see. My friend's maiden name, Faragher is on the popularity list.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 17 2010, 20:41

So there are names other than those beginning with C, K, and Q - although I see that these are the most common. The puzzling thing is that a whole new breed of cat managed to be associated with such a small place!
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 10:38

Quote (wiga @ May 16 2010, 15:06)
It's stuck in the middle of the Irish sea, close to Northumberland and Scotland - so probably a combination of all three cultures...

I'd check your geography again. Scotland - yes, Northern Ireland - yes, Cumbria - yes ... but Northumberland? Not exactly...

The Isle of Man whilst probably having quite a few descendants from Viking incursions and even earlier inhabitants from any of the surrounding lands - these days is largely peopled by immigrant scousers who've made a bit of dosh :D

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 13:27

Not sure if countrywide, but Birmingham HMV have Changeling HB for £3.
Bought two already... :)

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 21:35

Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 13 2010, 10:38)
The Isle of Man whilst probably having quite a few descendants from Viking incursions and even earlier inhabitants from any of the surrounding lands - these days is largely peopled by immigrant scousers who've made a bit of dosh :D

Ghotmojo, nice to see your "apparition" on this list again! I still think you should send that inspired cover you created for "Tubular Bells 4" to Mr Oldfield. Perhaps post it on the list that Fanny contributes to?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 04:27

I'd check your geography again. Scotland - yes, Northern Ireland - yes, Cumbria - yes ... but Northumberland? Not exactly...

You're not Mr Crabtree my geography teacher are you?  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 15:08

Quote (wiga @ June 14 2010, 04:27)

You're not Mr Crabtree my geography teacher are you?  ;)

Yes!

To the back of the class with you and put out that fag! :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 15:11

Quote (nightspore @ June 13 2010, 21:35)

Ghotmojo, nice to see your "apparition" on this list again! I still think you should send that inspired cover you created for "Tubular Bells 4" to Mr Oldfield. Perhaps post it on the list that Fanny contributes to?

Thanks NS :) But I don't think I'd make many friends here if I was encouraging him into yet more Tubular meanderings! :D (as much as some of us might like to see/hear that)

--------------
Profile PM 
14 replies since May 16 2010, 00:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net