Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: CD Incantation shorter than LP Incantation< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Gerhard Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 13 1999, 17:09

Hi,

why is the CD-Version of Incantations shorter than the vinyl.
The first 5 min. on side three (the horn section) is missing.

Greetings
Gerhard
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 1999, 03:50

Hi Gerhard,

I've read that in FAQ :
"I've noticed that some releases of Inc. have a part 3, with a length of 13:49, while others are 16:59 long. Why the difference? And what is the difference?
This occurred because the early CD's couldn't have all of Inc. on one CD. Pity, because they cut some of the best of Inc.! Anyway, if you buy a new CD, you should get the long version. With all of the start of part 3."

Bye
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 23 1999, 10:37

I had the same problem, when I bought my FIRST Incantitations CD around 1988. The reason is maybe the fact, that the capability of cd's in the beginning (end of the 80ies) was not enough for the complete version on one cd.

And now a lot of these older produced copies still are in the shops, between newer ones.

I was very angry about that, because I really like the complete work with this wonderful medieval opener on part 3. Angry enough to buy another copy of it last year. smile
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 04 2002, 23:44

i always thought that 13 minutes was too short for a whole side on an LP.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 08:26

My incantations cd is from 1985 and it has full 75 minutes long...it sounds also very good compared to HDCD remasters...but the booklet is poor - only one picture and notes on musicians.

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
chtimi Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2003, 15:38

I have the '85 version too. But the sound is not great. I have a strange hissing on the beginning of parts 1 and 4. Very high frequency hissing, and not very loud. I always wondered if it was from the original recording, or from this cd version...

--------------
The Watcher and the Tower
Waiting hour by hour
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2003, 16:38

This has been noticed before. Look here for previous discussion on the subject.
Profile PM 
chtimi Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2003, 16:47

Thanks  :)

--------------
The Watcher and the Tower
Waiting hour by hour
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2009, 02:13

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 23 1999, 16:37)
The reason is maybe the fact, that the capability of cd's in the beginning (end of the 80ies) was not enough for the complete version on one cd.

I bought my cd in 1985 and it contains the whole version.

I don't still understand why some of them contain a shorter version of Part 3

Does anyone know it?

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2009, 19:04

@ Yanouch: the answer is in the second and third posts from the top, in this topic. CDs were originally made just for classical music, and their playing time was originally set as 74 minutes because there was a particular recording of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony (by Karajan, I think) which the CEO of Deutsche Grammophon/Philips (the company who developed and marketed the CD as a recording medium) preferred over all others. This recording had a playing time of 73 minutes and 58 seconds. So the new medium's playing time was originally set to 74 minutes in order to accommodate all of that CEO's favourite recording of Beethoven's Ninth on a single disc (it used to be two vinyl albums). Then, as contemporary composers began composing longer works to be especially recorded and released on CD, the playing time started growing. Nowadays the common standard is nearly 80 minutes, 79'58'' to be precise.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 26 2009, 21:58

Ugo, the strange detail about it all is that the full length Incantations clocks at 72 minutes, which fits quite easily even in the 74 minute standard. The edit on part 3 brings the running length to about 69 minutes or so. Maybe it was because players back then could mess up CDs too close to the limit -- but then again, there has been an industry standard for compact discs since the beginning, so, theoretically, any CD player necessarily had to play any CD within the Red Book standard.

Oh, heck, I dunno. Record industry executives are stupid anyway.

EDIT: I have felt for a long time that the Beethoven thing was a myth, but I was wrong, and there are plenty well documented accounts of that. The only inaccuracy in that tale is that the 74 minute long recording of Symphony No. 9 is not the von Karajan recording, but one made by Furtwängler in 1951. It was the longest recording of the symphony they had in the archives, so that was set as the minimum limit. Wikipedia says it was von Karajan's suggestion, but its sources don't confirm that...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2009, 03:06

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 27 2009, 01:04)
@ Yanouch: the answer is in the second and third posts from the top, in this topic. CDs were originally made just for classical music, and their playing time was originally set as 74 minutes because there was a particular recording of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony (by Karajan, I think) which the CEO of Deutsche Grammophon/Philips (the company who developed and marketed the CD as a recording medium) preferred over all others. This recording had a playing time of 73 minutes and 58 seconds. So the new medium's playing time was originally set to 74 minutes in order to accommodate all of that CEO's favourite recording of Beethoven's Ninth on a single disc (it used to be two vinyl albums). Then, as contemporary composers began composing longer works to be especially recorded and released on CD, the playing time started growing. Nowadays the common standard is nearly 80 minutes, 79'58'' to be precise.

Ugo

What I wanted to say is that my cd is from 1985, so the beginning of CDs.
My question was: why my cd, which is from 1985, has the complete version and some of those went out later than mine, have not the complete version? A member of this forum said that the first cds were smaller than the following ones. Not mine?

If my English was better, I could ask this question in a different way  :/

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
11 replies since Dec. 13 1999, 17:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net