Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Caveman - Don't Read This, You Have Been Warned!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 09:46

In another thread Dirk has brilliantly demonstrated his pop knowledge by finding close links between Mike, Suzi Quatro, Pink, and Gloria Gaynor. Here's the ultimate challenge for him: find the closest link between Mike's music and... wait for it... a roll of kettledrums... the music of THE WIGGLES!!  :D
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 09:59

Well I have to confess Nightspore it was all google aided,I did`nt have the foggiest beforehand.Seen as how I mentioned Toyah in that other thread though.I can tell you off the top of my head that both Toyah & Suzi Quatro have appeared in the musical Annie Get Your Gun.Which in a roundabout way kinda` links Doris Day to Mike Oldfield I guess heh heh..There you go,a mine of useless information.I jetison all the important stuff...I`ll get back to you on The Wiggles..I await Caveman`s entrance here with excited anticipation.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 18:41

Well, here's one. The Wiggles are a children's music group, right? Mike did "On Horseback", which features a children's choir and it sounds very much like a children's song, at least to me. :) And he also did "Innocent", which is about a child, and it is a very child-like song as well.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 20:11

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 28 2010, 18:41)
Well, here's one. The Wiggles are a children's music group, right? Mike did "On Horseback", which features a children's choir and it sounds very much like a children's song, at least to me. :) And he also did "Innocent", which is about a child, and it is a very child-like song as well.

True... The real challenge for Dirk will be to find session musician links. But I'm sure he can do it!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 04:42

nightsore you......well words fail me.Red rag to a bull springs to mind.
However if you want links.Phil Spalding was Toyah's bassist and then Mike's! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 04:52

Can`t believe you`ve got me reading stuff on The Wiggles here,I must be nuts.Did they base their look on early Star Trek you can`t help but wonder?Except of course at the end of a Wiggles episode the red one is still alive.Leading Wiggle Anthony Field is a multi-instrumentalist you know, he plays,guitar,piano,bagpipes,drums,violin and tin whistle amongst other things.He also suffers from depression apparently.

Anyway before I even searched for something I kind of guessed that this would be the closest/best link...Unless somebody else can come up with something better of course..
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 05:10

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 29 2010, 09:42)
nightsore you......well words fail me.Red rag to a bull springs to mind.
However if you want links.Phil Spalding was Toyah's bassist and then Mike's! :laugh:

Simon Phillips was also her drummer at the same time,she had the whole Crises rhythm section for a while.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 05:40

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 29 2010, 04:52)
Can`t believe you`ve got me reading stuff on The Wiggles here,I

Anyway before I even searched for something I kind of guessed that this would be the closest/best link...Unless somebody else can come up with something better of course..

Very impressive, Dirk! Applause! Applause!

I remember singing that song in primary school. I could never keep a straight face when the line about "a fried mosquito on bread and butter" came up!

Caveman - you were warned!  :D
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 05:41

Oh dear.How did it come to this?The bloody wiggles.The bane of my life while my eldest was very young.Hours upon hours of "Wake Up Geoff!".
Didn't know Simon Philips played with Toyah.Her choice of lyrics was dodgy for someone with a pronounced lisp."A thot in the dark/a big quethion mark in hithtory/oh itth a mythtery to me"!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 05:44

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 29 2010, 04:52)
Did they base their look on early Star Trek you can`t help but wonder?Except of course at the end of a Wiggles episode the red one is still alive.

Dirk, this has been remarked on before:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_p....Wiggles

We have a tubulartrekkie... perhaps now we should have a tubularwiggle...
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 06:58

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 29 2010, 10:41)

Didn't know Simon Philips played with Toyah.Her choice of lyrics was dodgy for someone with a pronounced lisp."A thot in the dark/a big quethion mark in hithtory/oh itth a mythtery to me"!

There was a kid in our school who everyone was kind of in awe of a little bit.And he had lapel badges of both Toyah & Adam & The Ants way before they became well known household names.I think he must`ve seen the movie Jubilee I would guess now,which they both starred in.Of course once they did become famous his "awe" kind of went flying out the window never too return.I think he got into Crass after that,and you were never gonna` see those dudes on Top Of The Pops that`s for sure.

Out of curiosity I had a quick look on Toyah`s website after reading this thread.Very good site it is,with lots of warm updated personal messages from Toyah herself.She looks absolutely fantastic,even better than when she was younger I would say.And all the while her new album is playing in the background with her lucky husband Mr Fripp there,and I have to say I was really getting into it.Watched a couple of recent videos up on youtube as well,I quite liked it.The lisp I always found quite endearing personaly.The one thing that I could never really get away with, was that being an actress I suppose.She always kind of over-sold her performances too much.Kate Bush always managed to pull it off somehow,but with Toyah I`d find myself cringing behind cushions and stuff,praying for it to end.She comes over extremely likeable and interesting though,and still a little feisty no doubt..

Phillips & Splading both played on her 1982 tour, the year prior to Crises.Spalding actualy plays on quite a few of her albums both before and after his stint with Mike.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 15:22

Its called "Six Degrees Of Separation"     or so ive been Told :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 18:32

I don't think Mike has worked with him, but I know he admires Robert Fripp, would be an interesting collaberation if they did get together. Toyah is Mrs Fripp.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 19:37

Hopefully gonna see Toyah and Fripp and a guy from Radiohead in Cambridge soon, should be good

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
13 replies since Jan. 28 2010, 09:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net