Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: can anyone help with my essay?, tubularbells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
thevoyager Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 04 2002, 07:56

can anyone help me?

as part of my music degree, i have to write a dissertation on something that i will find interesting.
Being an MO fan, i would like to write about his most famous album, tubular bells.

i have to pose a question, so i came up with this:
'what impact did MIKE OLDFIELD's TUBULAR BELLS have on both the music industry, and on the virgin corporation'

i have got the book about the making of tubular bells, and i thought i could discuss how it was largely pure chance mike moved to the manor house, passed his demo tape around etc.

could anyone help me answer the question, or even give me another question i could answer.

this is what ive come up with:

.Mike led the way to home-recording.
.cut costs by performing nearly all instruments himself.
.helped launch virgin- allowed branson the finances to branch out into other mediums etc.

thanks guys! :)
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2002, 17:26

Just a thought:

Parts of Tubular Bells were used in the movie, "The Exorcist". while that doesn't have much on the music industry, it was kind of like a major uplift of music or scores in movies. That "Theme" has to be one of the most widely recognized themes from any movie. not sure if that helps, but it just came to my mind.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
treslunas Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 05 2002, 12:02

You could talk about the technology that mike used wen recoding the album, that had a big impact in the music industry, and equipment. talk about vocoders, over dubbing use of effects etc. i have to do the same for my music technology degree!
Treslunas

--------------
Tr3s Lunas (Danny Hudson)
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2002, 07:53

Hi,

have you tried the TB link from tubular.net ? (+ links on other articles there) There's a lot of stuff about TB, I don't know if it can help. There is also the biography of RB that may contain interesting things about his debut / MO (?)

But sure on the net you could find more info on the numerous and great webfans sites...

I'm not sure the "cut-cost" approach of his music was the orginal objective ;)  
As fas as I know, he used this on purpose for Heaven's Open (or Earth Moving ?) doing much of the work himseld instead of using expensive musicians (I read that somewhere).

Voila
Jerome

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 08 2002, 14:07

The impact on Virgin is quite obvious (and I think you've already got the answer to that part yourself) - it took the company from a small concern to a large, eventually global business (not all just because of Tubular Bells, of course, but it was what really got Virgin off the ground).

I think that his playing everything himself was more out of a desire to have control (and indeed just a desire to play the instruments) than out of cost cutting, though reduced costs were a convenient side-effect of that. The disadvantage of one person doing everything is that it takes more time, of course, and when time is money, as it is in a commercial recording studio, it might not always end up as a cheap option...

Mike has certainly always been a fan of recording at home, with it being something he's been doing since he recorded the demos for Tubular Bells in his flat. How much he influenced the path of home recording is more open to debate...

For what influence it had on the industry, I'd be looking at what things were like before Tubular Bells, and what things were like afterwards, and then seeing if anything presents itself which conclusions can be drawn from.
The way I see it is that Tubular Bells was ground breaking, but nothing much followed in its path, aside from Mike Oldfield's own albums. The concept of one man playing everything wasn't totally new - I believe that one of the things which influenced Mike's decision to try it was that Paul McCartney had been doing some one man recordings at Abbey Road while Mike was there.
There are some artists who draw influence from Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells - taking a look at what they've done (or are doing) might present some further clues (and sorry...I'd not be able to name any, I just have the vague memory that some exist).

It might be better to look at what answers are available and base your questions around those, rather than the other way around - that way you don't get stuck for answers...
Profile PM 
gregrobson Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2002, 07:05

Read Richard Branson's autobiography there's some good stuff about how RB met up and trusted MO to give a studio. It also says about how John Peel played Tubular Bells from start to finish on his show (which is quite amazing considering it's 40mins long).

It's worth buying RB's autobiography as it's a very entertaining read, I finished it in less than a week.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Oct. 04 2002, 07:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net