Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Camel, Golden Earring, Nazareth< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2002, 05:11

I'd like to here from anyone who's knowledgeable about the above groups who can advise me on which albums to get - and if any are worth avoiding!!
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: June 28 2002, 10:15

Camel is one of my favourite groups, at least the original lineup of the band. I haven't heard their first self-titled release, but the next three albums are all brilliant works of progressive rock: Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moon madness. Mirage is my favourite - I love its raw, unrestrained feeling. Moon madness is a more polished affair, and almost as good. The instrumental passages are the highlights of both albums. The vocals aren't outstanding, but luckily there isn't too much of them. The snow goose is an instrumental album inspired by a novel with the same name. It's not my favourite, but it might appeal to Oldfield fans more than the others.

Camel released more albums through the years, the most recent one being Rajaz from 1999 or something. I haven't heard much from after '80, so I can't give you my opinion on that. I'm not too eager to check it out either, since there is no Peter Bardens (their first keyboardist) on those albums.
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: July 10 2002, 14:59

If I may add: this first keyboardplayer was on several occasions lateron replaced by Ton Scherpenzeel, a Dutch keyboardplayer, and formerly member of the symphonic group Kayak. And he's great!

IMHO I think the best Camel-album is Nude.

This is discutable of course; it's all a matter of taste... ;)

And as for the Golden Earring I'd suggest their double live album The Complete Naked Truth. Good stuff, or their album Last Blast Of The Century: contains all their hit singles (hits in Holland that is).

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
David Mar
Unregistered

Posted: July 12 2002, 05:07

Thanks. I got 'The Snow Goose'  last September, but a few months ago they re-issued it (along with other early Camel Cd's) with extra tracks!! If only I'd known I'd have waited!! I also love their live album 'Pressure Points' and I also have an tv edited version of it on video. There are a few extra tracks which are exclusive to each - so you need to get BOTH to have all of the tracks!! :)
oblique Offline

Posted: July 12 2002, 10:48

Same as with Olfield it's nearly impossible to get everything complete, e.g. did you happen to know that Camels frontman Andy Latimer also plays along on a New age album by Denis Quinn: Open Secret, and that Camels bassplayer in the early nineties used to lead a group called 3Musthaphas3 that was supposed to originate from the Balkans and thus sounded alike?
Besides still beiing a Camel member he also has released several soloalbums that sound similar to Camel...
So you see there's a lot there to collect (and worth listening to).

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: July 18 2002, 05:22

I've read that Andy Latimer isn't happy with the early Camel Cd re-issues as Decca have included tracks that didn't make the albums originally as they weren't good enough!! Opps!!

If you want to get in touch with me about 'Pressure Points' or anything else - e-mail me at davepost2@hotmail.com
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: July 18 2002, 10:47

No questions or wishes right now, but thanks for the offer.
I'll keep it in mind.

Just realised, this is my 100th post  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 28 2002, 05:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net