Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Camel< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15 2002, 12:17

Anyone heard 'The Flight of the Snowgoose' by Camel? And excellent concept piece that came out in 1975. Excellent piece of thematic music - especially Andy Latimer's guitar work that I would put second to Mike's of all the guitarts I have heard.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2002, 15:28

I agree, Andy Latimer is a fine guitarist. 'Snowgoose' is a great album. However, I must say that the last 3 Camel studio albums are the finest I have heard from them. These are 'Dust and Dreams', 'Harbour of Tears' and 'Rajaz'. Anyone into huge melodies with sublime guitar - get these albums!!!

I should also pay tribute to Pete Bardens (ex-Camel keyboard player) who passed away January 22 this year- RIP.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2002, 09:21

After losing track of Camel's work since about 1990 I just discovered the recent works - so far i have only just got 'Dust and Dreams' that I haven't quite got into yet - my first few listens have found it quite 'hollow' but I must give it a few more goes. As for 'Harbour of Tears' and 'Rajaz' could you recommend me some good tracks to (dare I say) sample first?

Oh, by the way, 'Nude' is another EXCELLENT album by the earlier camel about a soldier stranded on an island long after WWII.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 24 2002, 18:22

Be patient with Dust and Dreams - from 'Storm Clouds' through to 'Hopeless Anger' is magnificent but takes time to grow. Of the vocal tracks, 'Rose of Sharon' is equally rewarding.

As for Harbour of Tears, try 'Coming of Age' and 'The Hour Candle (A Song to my Father)'. The title track is also worth a listen - words are sentimental and can make the hairs stand up given the right mood.

Rajaz is a classic and I would recommend any track... it's just too difficult to choose. This album perhaps emulates earlier Camel more than the others...

BTW - of the earlier albums, it's a tough call, but I guess Moonmadness gets my vote!

Happy listening!

T4

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2002, 09:43

Thanks T4:-)

Reading some reviews on Amazon.co.uk I had just gathered that Rajaz was a 'classic' and I think I'll be getting that next with your endorsement too!

BTW - Dust & Dreams is definitely growing on me - I love Rose of Sharon!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 26 2002, 18:31

Great! Let me know what you think once you've listened a few times. I've played Rajaz again over the last 24 hours and I think that you'll find 'Sahara' extremely rewarding!

(See, I just about managed to choose a favourite track wink)

--------------
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2002, 03:45

"Mirage" is easily the best from the early days. It has some amazing soloing both by Bardens and Latimer. And "Moonmadness" isn't far behind - great prog rock. For some reason I haven't bothered to check out much of their more recent stuff, I find it hard to believe it'd stand a chance compared to the output of the original lineup. No one could possibly replace Peter Bardens.
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 27 2002, 04:12

This discussion prompted me to revisit earlier Camel albums. Moonmadness remains my favourite, but I agree that Mirage is excellent also.

I also checked out the eponymously titled first album - before they moved to Decca - and I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard. 'Mystic Queen' is a great track and gives some idea of what was to come later.

As for the ealier stuff being better - I don't agree, per se. It's like trying to compare a 70's Cortina with a 2002 Mondeo. Both great in their own way, one being regarded as a past classic, because it is just that - in the past. Thirty years time, we will be saying the same about current stuff - I hope!!

I sometimes yearn for another 'Close to the Edge' or 'Dark Side of the Moon', but it won't happen because artists, like us, want to move on, do what they want and try out new techniques, material and concepts. It's normally left to copyists to try and emulate the best from the past!

If we are prepared to keep an open mind when established artists try out new material, it is often rewarding. As much as I loved Pete Bardens' work with Camel and mourn his passing, I would hate to think that you are depriving yourself of some fine music because certain personnel are no longer (and can no longer be) part of the band.

Take care.

--------------
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2002, 02:46

I agree with you T4! There are merits of past 'classics' which are a certain type of music from their era - modern 'classics' have their own unique sound, different to the past ones as technology, recording techniques, production methods, appreciation of sound etc.. have changed.

We grow up on certains sounds that, like it or not, we tend to feel very precious to us and wish all modern music would sound like that! I know that I have felt like that with Mike's music, but now tend to take each piece of music as it comes and judge it by it's own merits - rather than against some 'misically legalistic' rule! (if you know what I mean - well, if no one knows what I mean it's been helpful to me anyway!!)

T4 - i'll let you know what I think of Dust & Dreams after a few more listens and Rajaz after I get it.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 07 2002, 19:14

Hey Timshen,

Hope you are well. Been without internet access for a few months but I'm back now and trying to catch up on old threads (as well as new!;).

Did you manage to get hold of Rajaz? If so, what do you think?

Cheers,

T4

--------------
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2002, 07:29

Luckily, the re-issues are worth getting - according to 'Classic Rock' magazine. Andy Latimer wasn't happy that tracks were added to the re-issues that weren't meant to be on! :)
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 11:37

Hi again T4. I'm afraid that I still have not gotten around to getting a copy of 'Rajaz' yet. 'Dust and Dreams' leaves me a bit cold I must admit (except for 'Rose of Sharon' which I really love - and some of the fantastic guitar solos).

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2002, 11:30

Camel has a new album out, by the way... "A Nod & A Wink". I haven't heard it, but rumours say it's pretty upbeat. I take that as a good sign ;)
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Sep. 09 2002, 16:27

'A Nod and a Wink' is awesome. Andy Latimer dedicated the album to the late Pete Bardens and this album is more reminiscent of early Camel than any of their 90s material.

T4

--------------
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 15 2002, 12:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net